none
How to get Combobox items auto scroll when we type some letters from Keyboard

Question

• Hi

I am working on Microsoft Silverlight 4.0 and  Microsoft  .Net Framework 4.0. I was trying to see if in Silverlight 4 application this System.windows.controls.combobox will support feature to show options in drop-down list when we type any letters from KeyBoard like if there is an item called "Mumbai" then if we type in Keyboard "Mum" it should display proposed option as Mumbai to user like in many websites we see drop-downs  but this doesn't work here  .

Could you please let me know how it could be possible to implement this functionality .Is there a way in Silverlight?

Thanks in Advance!!

Mayank Kashyap GoldCRM Consulting,Hyderabad

Monday, January 09, 2017 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Mayank Kashyap,

Sorry for the delay response.

According to your description, you want to implement a autocomplete combobox which could auto filter the items in combobox control. In Silverlight 4, you need to install Silverlight 4 SDK first and then use AutoCompleteBox control. It will look for the items in its item source when you type something in textbox.

Following article introduce how to use this control in Silverlight 4 application. Hope that can help you.

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadfile/dhananjaycoder/autocompletebox-in-silverlight-4-0/

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 16, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks i have implemented the same AutoCompleteBox but i was in need to show it similar to a Combobox so i have followed this below URL where i overlap the AutoCompleteBox and Combobox together to look like dropdown and i added same Data Source binding to both.

http://geekswithblogs.net/KirstinJ/archive/2009/09/11/silverlight-autocomplete-combobox.aspx

Thanks!

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell me if any third party control that does this functionality our Project Manager wants a third party Combobox to implement in Silverlight 4.0  which can just look like a System.windows.controls.combobox  but it should do functionality as i mentioned in my first Question. "when we type any letters from KeyBoard like if there is an item called "Mumbai" then if we type in Keyboard "Mum" it should display proposed option as Mumbai ".

Please let me know if this is really possible to implement in Silverlight 4.0 without using AutoCompleteBox.?

Thanks

Friday, January 20, 2017 11:59 AM
  • Hi Mayank Kashyap,

As far as I know, the Telerik UI for Silverlight provide the third party auto complete Combobox, but current version is for Silverlight 5.

Since Silverlight 4's life cycle is ended at 1/8/2013, I'm afraid that current third part toolkit for Silverlight should be all support Silverlight 5 now. I don't find any third part toolkit for Silverlight 4.

I suggest you contact the Telerik supporters to check whether they could provide a version for Silverlight 4. Otherwise, I suggest you create a custom autocompletebox by yourself.

http://www.telerik.com/forums/silverlight/autocompletebox

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 5:35 AM