WPF - What's goodness for using .NET Core, instead of .NET Framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering if there is any goodness for using .NET Core, instead of .NET Framework for application such as WPF?  
    Friday, September 27, 2019 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

one of the biggest enhancements to .net core 3.0 is support for Windows desktop applications (Windows only), Windows Forms and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) applications by using the .NET Core 3.0 SDK Windows desktop component. Specifically, Windows desktop components are only supported and included on Windows.see the benefits of .NET Core for Desktop:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/net-core-3-and-support-for-windows-desktop-applications/

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 27, 2019 7:09 AM
  • Thanks, a great article !

Still, I get a bit unclear as I read this info from Microsoft.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/desktop

1. WPF is a UI framework for building visually compelling Windows desktop apps on the .NET platform.
    WinForms is a UI framework, with easy to use drag-and-drop designers, for building Windows desktop apps on the .NET platform.
    Xamarin is a set of tools and libraries for building cross-platform apps on the .NET platform.

Based on your post, does that mean WPF and WinForms can run on cross platform on the .NET Core framework?

Please advise

Friday, September 27, 2019 9:37 AM
  • Hi    iHandler,

NET Core 3.0 starts to support desktop application. This is a development process, and the functionality of net core will gradually improve.

So, this gives you a choice to develop your desktop application.

According to the NET Core documentation, as long asthe system (Windows, macOS, and Linux) installs the corresponding version, you can run the NET Core program(To be clear, the Windows Desktop component is only supported and included on Windows. ). 

Best regards

Yong Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:06 AM
  • "According to the NET Core documentation, as long as the system (Windows, macOS, and Linux) installs the corresponding version, you can run the NET Core program."

If this is the case, there will be a HUGE amount of companies would choose to use Microsoft technologies.

Congratulations Microsoft :-)

Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:25 AM
  • .NET Core makes the developer use dependency injection and IoC aka (services) in Core. Core allows the developer to stop using the 'New' keyword, becuase of DI and IoC usage.

https://marcominerva.wordpress.com/2019/03/06/using-net-core-3-0-dependency-injection-and-service-provider-with-wpf/

https://ardalis.com/new-is-glue

In general, Core reduces tight coupling and allows the developer to better implement SoC in .NET solutions along with  writing cleaner code.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt703433.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns

Also from what I understand, .NET Core for desktop solutions is limited to the Windows platform.

• Edited by DA924x Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:27 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Cherkaoui.Mouad Thursday, October 3, 2019 12:39 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cherkaoui.Mouad Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:54 AM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 8:20 AM
  • In my opinion, it is a logical idea to add "Cross Platform" features for upcoming desktop apps.

I was surprised to see some great apps (world-class apps !) created by Microsoft Team, on the fruit platform.

1. MS Word
    2. MS Excel
    3. Visual Studio Code

The point is, is there an easy way for some ordinary developers can also bring those apps on other platforms?  I am sure they (Team at Microsoft) have done so, just a matter of time....

Thursday, October 3, 2019 10:45 AM
  • https://www.codemag.com/Article/1903051/.NET-Core-for-the-Desktop

<copied>
    You might be thinking, as I did when I first heard about desktop apps in Core, that .NET Core is cross-platform, which must mean that the desktop apps will be cross-platform too. Well, no! WPF and WinForms are tightly tied to Windows and would look and feel out of place on Linux or a Mac. Perhaps someday there’ll be a Mac UI Core, but today is not that day.

<end>

Thursday, October 3, 2019 1:29 PM

<copied>
    You might be thinking, as I did when I first heard about desktop apps in Core, that .NET Core is cross-platform, which must mean that the desktop apps will be cross-platform too. Well, no! WPF and WinForms are tightly tied to Windows and would look and feel out of place on Linux or a Mac. Perhaps someday there’ll be a Mac UI Core, but today is not that day.

<end>

Not sure if this is a subjective opinion from the writer or a truth from Microsoft.

Logically, if Microsoft wants to gain higher market share, they must do something good for their company such that Cross-Platform via .NET Core is a key to solve all these around.   On the contrary, if .NET Core is just a piece of cake only with beautiful appearance, this will create additional confusion for those who are trying to learn Microsoft Technologies.  

I bet 100% Microsoft can do it easily, unless they have some reason behind. 

Friday, October 4, 2019 2:32 AM

<copied>

<end>

Not sure if this is a subjective opinion from the writer or a truth from Microsoft.

Logically, if Microsoft wants to gain higher market share, they must do something good for their company such that Cross-Platform via .NET Core is a key to solve all these around.   On the contrary, if .NET Core is just a piece of cake only with beautiful appearance, this will create additional confusion for those who are trying to learn Microsoft Technologies.  

I bet 100% Microsoft can do it easily, unless they have some reason behind. 

If MS wants to go across platforms, then the logical choice is Web based solutions using ASP.NET Core, which is already being done. Web based solutions run on a Web server such as IIS and Apache on Linux and Mac. Web server solutions leave no footprint on the client's computer or other such devices like smart phone, tablet, etc., and etc., unlike a desktop solution that leaves a heavy footprint on the client computer.

I don't think you are going to see Core on the desktop go across platforms anytime soon.

Friday, October 4, 2019 7:21 AM
  • If MS wants to go across platforms, then the logical choice is Web based solutions using ASP.NET Core, which is already being done. Web based solutions run on a Web server such as IIS and Apache on Linux and Mac. Web server solutions leave no footprint on the client's computer or other such devices like smart phone, tablet, etc., and etc., unlike a desktop solution that leaves a heavy footprint on the client computer.

I don't think you are going to see Core on the desktop go across platforms anytime soon.

You said "Web server solutions leave no footprint on the client's computer".  Are you sure?
    Friday, October 4, 2019 8:42 AM
  • You said "Web server solutions leave no footprint on the client's computer".  Are you sure?

Yes I am sure since I have written numerous ASP.NET none Core and Core solutions professionally. All the client machine needs is a browser or a HTTP client library that a Web client program would use to communicate with an ASP.NET non Core or Core WebAPI service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.http.httpclient?view=netframework-4.8  

The Web application is deployed to the Web server, a centralized location,  and the solution runs on the Web server all components the Web program needs are located on the Web server and nothing is deployed to the client machine.  

• Edited by DA924x Friday, October 4, 2019 11:17 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2019 11:11 AM
  • You said "Web server solutions leave no footprint on the client's computer".  Are you sure?

Yes I am sure since I have written numerous ASP.NET none Core and Core solutions professionally. All the client machine needs is a browser or a HTTP client library that a Web client program would use to communicate with an ASP.NET non Core or Core WebAPI service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.http.httpclient?view=netframework-4.8  

The Web application is deployed to the Web server, a centralized location,  and the solution runs on the Web server all components the Web program needs are located on the Web server and nothing is deployed to the client machine.  

R2D2, your information is untrue and completely misleading.  Even if web application it still leaves some footprints on client's machine.  

1.  I suggest you to research this information again before posting out (If your information is misleading, this will create a harmful resource to the public)

2.  No matter how many applications you do, if you got a wrong concept or/and idea, you still go to a wrong way.

Saturday, October 5, 2019 7:46 AM

R2D2, your information is untrue and completely misleading.  Even if web application it still leaves some footprints on client's machine.  

1.  I suggest you to research this information again before posting out (If your information is misleading, this will create a harmful resource to the public)

2.  No matter how many applications you do, if you got a wrong concept or/and idea, you still go to a wrong way.

This is truly unbelievable. LOL what in the heck are you talking about? :) 

You no more know what you are talking about than there is a man in the moon. You show where an ASP.NET Web based solution needs any component on the client's machine when the whole solution is only deployed to the Web server. ASP.NET non Core and Core is a Web server solution and NOT a Windows desktop solution.

Just don't give me the lip-service show it you show the proof as to what you are rambling about.

If you want to talk about an ASP.NET WCF Web service, then it needs a WCF client side program installed for the client that can be a Windows desktop or Web program.

if you want to talk about an ASP.NET Web form, legacy Web service, MVC or WebAPI, then you show where any component of any of them need any part of the Web solution installed on the client's computer.  

I don't recall using SpectrumTV, online banking with my bank, going to the MSDN forums, going to the ASP.NET forums, USA Today, CNN, MSN, Amazon etc. and etc  sites that I needed anymore than Edge, Opera, Firefox, IE, Chrome or other Web browsers installed on my machine aka the client machine in order to access the Web site on the Web server, becuase I sure as heck never saw any Web components from the Web sites being installed on my machine aka the client machine. :)

R2D2 and you toss out the BS insult? WTH?

<Correction> 

Oh, maybe you're talking about some BS cookies! :)

And when I say components, I am talking about DLL(s) and other such components that are part of the Web solution that are not sitting on the client machine, which is unlike a desktop program where all the components of the desktop program must be installed on the machine in order for the program to work, leaving a heavy footprint on the client's machine a fat client program.

• Edited by DA924x Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:44 PM
    Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:11 PM
  • You said "Web server solutions leave no footprint on the client's computer".

Always remember and respect to what you said on public.  Cookies are part of the footprint without question.   

Good Luck :-)

Monday, October 7, 2019 4:49 AM

Always remember and respect to what you said on public.  Cookies are part of the footprint without question.   

Please, cookies are a way of keeping state, and I  don't consider them as some BS footprint  What I consider a footprint is based on a thin client vs fat client program,  and the footprint left on the client machine based on installed components the program needs.

A thin client program installs no software on the client machine, becuase the program is hosted by a server leaving no footprint on the client machine. On the other hand,  a fat client program  must have all needed components installed on the client machine leaving a footprint.

Just becuase you're such a fabulous hobbyist and a name calling Donald Trump, you think what you want to think.  

Yeah and good luck to you too you name calling and insult tossing Donald Trump.

• Edited by DA924x Monday, October 7, 2019 7:27 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2019 6:55 AM

Please, cookies are a way of keeping state, and I  don't consider them as some BS footprint  What I consider a footprint is based on a thin client vs fat client program,  and the footprint left on the client machine based on installed components the program needs.

A thin client program installs no software on the client machine, becuase the program is hosted by a server leaving no footprint on the client machine. On the other hand,  a fat client program  must have all needed components installed on the client machine leaving a footprint.

Just becuase you're such a fabulous hobbyist and a name calling Donald Trump, you think what you want to think.  

Perhaps you should use more professional terms to describe the technical issues.  Your information is misleading to the public.  Also, please do not bring any unrelated information or political issues on this forum, doing this may bring unnecessary trouble to Microsoft.
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 5:23 AM

Perhaps you should use more professional terms to describe the technical issues.  Your information is misleading to the public.  Also, please do not bring any unrelated information or political issues on this forum, doing this may bring unnecessary trouble to Microsoft.
    Yawn, opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has got one including you get a life you are nobody.  You are incapable of just moving on, huh?  There is something wrong with you. You are starting to show demented behavior. Now go stand in the corner and face the wall. You for sure are showing Trump like tendencies acting like that lunatic with harassments.  Act like you're not on Twitter just go away and find a life. 

Administrator, please lock this thread and stop the madness. The thread has deteriorated into a lame thread with posts about  nothing now.  

• Edited by DA924x Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:51 AM
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 11:34 AM
  • You proposed and explained the web structure to your clients incorrectly.  You should let them know you were wrong and willing to correct the errors.  Legally, they absolutely have rights to impose fines on behalf of you due to technically misleading.   

Good Luck !

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:19 AM
  • You proposed and explained the web structure to your clients incorrectly.  You should let them know you were wrong and willing to correct the errors.  Legally, they absolutely have rights to impose fines on behalf of you due to technically misleading.   

Good Luck !

You have nothing but mental issues with non-stop BS. You need to be locked up. I wish you the worst, becuase you standing in a corner is too good for you.  

The title alone of the thread with 'goodness' in it should have clued me in on that there was a deranged and demented person making the post. 

Ok there oh yeah you iThinkiAmiJudgeJudy…… :)

• Edited by DA924x Wednesday, October 16, 2019 12:54 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:20 AM
  • My sadness ~

It seems like I am talking to a broken computer which is unable to understand any kinds of commands.  

I wish you well 

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:17 AM
  • My sadness ~

It seems like I am talking to a broken computer which is unable to understand any kinds of commands.  

I wish you well 

Goodbye, I am tired of communicating with your non-stop loony-tune as*. All of a sudden,  I have business clients in your warped-out mind is more than enough to show me that you and the cow you rode tried to jumped over the moon in your Twilight Zone universe.

I'll bet a dollar to a doughtnut that in your demented, deranged and looney-tune mind that you'll make another post. It's inevitable that you'll do it from the sign post you're standing next to that reads the Twilight Zone.

I am kicking your as* to the curb. 

• Edited by DA924x Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Please be polite and please do not say any dirty words, especially on Microsoft forum.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:53 AM