no billing accounts linked but yet cannot close my hotmail email account. RRS feed

• General discussion

• When I try to close my hotmail email account i get this message:

To close your account, you must resolve one or more of the following issues:

One or more paid services or a Microsoft Points account is linked to your account. To close this account, make sure each service is canceled and your Microsoft Points account is closed.

I have gone to:  http://billing.microsoft.com and logged in using the same hotmail email and password and I get this message:

No billing accounts

This Windows Live ID does not currently have a billing relationship with Microsoft. MSN offers a variety of services that you may subscribe to. For more information, go to http://get.msn.com .

So what in the world is linked to my account that disallows me from closing it?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• I'm having this issue also. Please help anyone!
    Friday, March 18, 2011 6:10 AM
  • so does anyone know how to get around this and close the account?
    Naomi Lang
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:06 AM
  • Same issue.

Been to 10 forums.

Nobody seems to know.

My friends are getting spam bombed daily. I deleted all of my contacts, changed the password, and deleted all the mail in the account, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what else I need to do in order to delete the account itself.

The fact that this set of posts has been viewed nearly 2000 times since 2.1.2011 is a testament to how many people are having this issue.

I promise that if I can figure out how to de-couple whatever imaginary account is associated with the hotmail account, I will broadcast it from every media outlet I can find.

In the meanwhile, know that you are not alone in this Dante-like hell of endless Microsoft loops.

-Peace.

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:17 PM
  • hey, everybody!

I dicovered how to fix this trouble... and It's simple!

You just have to write your username account and password in a paper and scream the most strong that you can:

"CLOOOOOOOOOOSE"

please...

maybe..

ok.. in a two minutes

tomorrow ?

you're lost with the snow white if don't close NOW

It's all folks

Monday, July 11, 2011 2:59 PM
  • This is very frustrating, I am having the same issue.

I get the message that I have linked accounts that I must close. So I go to services, it has I have no linked accounts. I check email, I have no linked emails. I check billing, my hotmail account is not linked to any billing issues.

I also did a search in other forums, I haven't found a solution besides going to the official help page...which then links to the close account page, which says I can't because I have something linked, and now we're back to where we started.

Does anyone know how to close this not-used-for-the-past-2-years account? I would rather not have viruses be sent to everyone on my contact list.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 5:24 PM
  • You know I have been trying that very same thing and I can't find an answer either. I'm starting to think that Microsoft online programs are just a load of horse poop. So, I went into my accounts and delete and changed everything I could so it wasn't me anymore. I deleted my contacts, erased all my saved mail, deleted my photos, changed my profile pic to some random flower, got rid of my contact info. Now I'm just an empty void with an email address. I figure if someone wants to hack it they can feel free because I will never EVER use hotmail or MSNlive again and if someone wants my email address so badly that they can't create their own well now they can start from scratch. HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE MSN AT ALL COSTS!!!!
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:48 AM