none
How to get rid of Silverlight Install pop-up window!?

Question

• Please, how do we get rid of that persistently annoying Silverlight Install pop-up window on Microsoft sites?  IE7 is set to high security, most plugins are disabled, including Flash, what do we need to set / disable in Internet Explorer 7 to prevent that pop-up from appearing?  It's driving us nuts whenever we try to browse Microsoft sites.  Why does it need to be in our face constantly, every single time?  I suggest Microsoft should try a more subtle approach with a little icon on their sites instead of an annoying in your face pop-up every time we visit a Microsoft site.

In case it's not clear, I am talking about the Silverlight install pop-up window: "Install Microsoft Silverlight for a better experience on this site" that is appearing on almost every Microsoft site these days.  We don't want to install the darn thing, please understand that we should be allowed not to install it, please help us stop this pop-up.

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:28 AM

All replies

• I don't know Microsoft sites have gone that far. It's good and bad for different people. Natively, Silverlight applications will show a gentle small icon "Get Silverlight" that won't bother anybody. It won't require any action.

Where did you see the pop-ups? Exact URLs would be great.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:34 AM
  • They have gone that far, trust me, we are confronted with it... constantly.  Most microsoft web sites do this now.  This one does (Silverlight.net), most tech and dev Microsoft sites do now, heck, even the main Microsoft web site does: http://www.microsoft.com/

Look, I just went to Microsoft.com right now, this is what we're confronted with... every single time we go there:

Silverlight install pop-up on Microsoft sites

It's pure and simple in our face harassment on the part of Microsoft.  It's getting so annoying we are telling people and are ourselves trying to avoid all Microsoft web sites now.

Microsoft, as always, is assuming people have medium to low privacy/security settings and that they will easily cave in and install their Silverlight plugin and accept their license agreement.  We have the right to run higher privacy/security settings and not install Microsoft's plugins, clearly Microsoft does not respect this right.

The only solution I have found on the internet so far is to install Firefox with an ad-blocking plugin to make this go away.  How silly is this, really?  Bravo Microsoft, once again for driving us away.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:44 PM
  •  Can someone please answer this gentleman's question? I am an asp .net developer and I am frequently on MS sites looking up class definitions, properties, etc. and without fail, I have to dismiss the above mentioned prompt...its everywhere.  I like MS and I make my living with MS products...but this is crazy...please...tell us how to disable this?

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:30 PM
  • Dude i now feel like no one from microsoft is reading these forums.
    or They just don't want to respond to posts that they don't feel like.

Come on MS guys , you must be discussing this kind of stuff in the issues sections
    of your project meetings.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 7:19 AM
  • More and more Microsoft sites (and also 3rd party sites) functionality is depended on Silverlight. Silverlight extends the functionality of the browser to render media and interactive web applications in a way that drives better interaction with our audience. People that will not have the plug-in installed will thus not be able to view the content properly.

Thus, we needed to form up mechanisms to help people install the plug-in. We are listening to all the feedback on this and will work to incorporate the feedback to make this experience better for our customers going forward. Even with the current implementation, people who have incompatible browsers/operating systems will not see the prompt and also people who are not administrators on their computers, will be able to close the prompt and a cookie (if enabled on the system) will remind the site not to pop it up again.We are thankful for your feedback and will work on improving our user experience.

Barak Cohen,

The Silverlight team.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Hi Mr. Cohen:

First...thanks for the response!  Second...I do have a very warm feeling for MS and its products...I make my living with asp .net...before that, I was a desktop programmer with vb .net.

So...please take this question with the above preface...what do I need to do to not continually get the silverlight install prompt (short of installing it at this point) everytime I go to msdn or other ms sites?  I am an administrator of my machine at home and at work...can I set cookie to disable this? 

I fully intend to get around to silverlight...but when I am ready...not when someone tells me I need to install it everytime I view a set of sites...not a specific site, but practically every MS site.

Thanks!

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:53 PM
  •  

More and more Microsoft sites (and also 3rd party sites) functionality is depended on Silverlight.

This may be true, but there is no reason to cram in down our throats. Are you aware that the rules of social discourse should be adhered to on the internet as well as in real life? There are sites that have no need for any of this nonsense, and its being crammed in our face. I can see the need to upgrade formats and programming languages every once and a while, but you could make it a more graceful transition.

-JabberWalkie

Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:27 AM
  • More and more Microsoft sites (and also 3rd party sites) functionality is depended on Silverlight.
    Sure, if your web site(s) cannot function without Silverlight, then put up a page stating: "This site does NOT work without Silverlight, please go away".  But if your web site can function without Silverlight, then why not simply implement a discreet icon somewhere on your web site stating something like: "Install Silverlight for an enhanced experience on this site"?  There is no need to harass your users and annoy tech support.  At this point Flash is a lot more of a web standard than Silverlight.  Yet we don't use Flash here and the vast majority of web sites still function without it.  It's a bad idea for anyone, let alone Microsoft, to design a web site that connot function without Silverlight if they wish to appeal to a broad audience.  Perhaps Microsoft only wants to address users with lax security and privacy policies and complete trust in Microsoft, if so, then continue the status quo.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 10:24 AM
  •  Seriously, that is not an answer.

And you can do rich web application without Silverlight - trust me :) Take a look at google web toolkit - you'll see things and in pure html.

Is there a way how to get rid of this popup ?

Thanks,

Ondra

Monday, May 25, 2009 5:20 AM
  • This forum posting is near the top on most search engines (well, the only important one: Google) for results relating to the annoying silverlight prompt. So as such I've made a user here to help people get rid of this intensely annoying prompt.

You'll need a browser that has a user configurable adblock mechanism either inbuilt or via a third party. (if you insist on using IE I believe there are IE based browsers that have adblocking capability.. I think Avant might have this capability, I haven't used it since pre-1.0 Firefox though)

On Firefox I recommend Adblock Plus, go to a silverlight prompt annoying website such as microsoft.com

Once loaded click on the adblock button, it should open the "Blockable items on current page" list as shown below. Search for "silverlight.js" or just "silverlight" you eventually should see that annoying little script. Right click on it and select "Block this item...".

Silverlight pic 1

You will now be prompted for the window below, simply select custom and enter "*silverlight.js" (excluding commas). Note the asterisk (*), this is a wildcard that declares everything before silverlight.js as anything. So regardless of site the annoying silverlight prompt will bother you no more.

Silverlight pic 2 

On a personal note:

Any site that is dependant on a plugin to be usable is a waste of time in my book.

Thankfully with HTML 5 and the <video> tag we'll soon be rid of flash too. I think MS and Adobe need to face facts, with browser Javascript getting exceedingly fast in newer browsers thanks to JIT (Chrome, Firefox 3.5, Safari 4) and the new features of HTML 5 the days of plugins to view content are dying out. (I actually think this is pretty hilarious, MS joins late into the plugin game and is getting totally sidestepped by Google, Mozilla etc)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Hi, I was getting Silverlight UPDATE popups very frequently. To disable them...

(1) With IE, click on <Tools> then click on <Manage Add-ons>

(2) then find the <Currently Loaded Add-ons> on the left and scroll through the list on the right

(3) Stop on Microsoft Silverlight... Mine said 'enabled'

(4) Select (right click?) and chosed <disable>

So far (all of 10 minutes), no popups!

Good luck!

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:29 PM
  • Couldn't find anything current.  My problem is Silverlight Install pops up and blocks a site I need to see in Google Chrome and it doesn't even support Chrome any longer, which it even tells you when you click install.  Go back to the site and the Silverlight Install is still sitting there blocking things I need to see.
    Sunday, March 05, 2017 3:42 AM
  • Me toooooo!! It pops up on my emails ALLLLL the time...I want to disable it, remove it or whatever I need to do

to get rid of it !! it's absolutely ANNOYING!!

Friday, August 25, 2017 1:43 AM