Broken links and unknown pages RRS feed

• Question

• http://www.parkwayfloral.com/

Hello, I recently switched from Frontpage 2003 to WE3. According to the Master DWT the Hyperlinks are routing to the correct pages but when it is published the links do not work at all OR some of them route to a page that I thought I had deleted from the site. What is the easiest way to fix my links seeing that they appear to not even be broken? I'm wondering If i need to make a new DWT and start from scratch?

Monday, January 24, 2011 1:46 AM

Answers

• The links on the pages don't match (either themselves or what's there).

Look in code view; on the pages where the liks don't work, the link is...
    <a href="Wedding/default.html">Weddings</a> or
    <a href="../Wedding/default.html">Weddings</a>

On pages where they do work, the link is...
    <a href="Wedding/Weddings.html">Weddings</a>

The browser is just looking for the wrong page name. Make them all match the names of the pages that are really in those folders. If you really did those in the DWT, did you tell it to update the pages when you saved the DWT?

To simplify your life, here's what I'd recommend: You don't need all those folders for a site with just a few pages, one in each folder. That's a bad design that MS shouldn't have done in their templates. So...within EW, move each of the pages in the folders (Weddings.html, SpecialOccasions.htnl, etc.) into the root pf the site (right in the main folder where the Home page is). You'll have all your pages right there together and EW will correct all the links for you if you move them using EW. If you do it outside EW, it won't track the changes.

If you do that, your links will just be...
    <a href="Weddings.html">Weddings</a>

The site structure you have is great for organizing huge sites, but doesn't make sense for small ones.

Oh, and change the Title of the Sympathy page to something other than Resume. ;-)

Eschew obfuscation.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:43 AM

All replies

• The links on the pages don't match (either themselves or what's there).

Look in code view; on the pages where the liks don't work, the link is...
    <a href="Wedding/default.html">Weddings</a> or
    <a href="../Wedding/default.html">Weddings</a>

On pages where they do work, the link is...
    <a href="Wedding/Weddings.html">Weddings</a>

The browser is just looking for the wrong page name. Make them all match the names of the pages that are really in those folders. If you really did those in the DWT, did you tell it to update the pages when you saved the DWT?

To simplify your life, here's what I'd recommend: You don't need all those folders for a site with just a few pages, one in each folder. That's a bad design that MS shouldn't have done in their templates. So...within EW, move each of the pages in the folders (Weddings.html, SpecialOccasions.htnl, etc.) into the root pf the site (right in the main folder where the Home page is). You'll have all your pages right there together and EW will correct all the links for you if you move them using EW. If you do it outside EW, it won't track the changes.

If you do that, your links will just be...
    <a href="Weddings.html">Weddings</a>

The site structure you have is great for organizing huge sites, but doesn't make sense for small ones.

Oh, and change the Title of the Sympathy page to something other than Resume. ;-)

Eschew obfuscation.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Yeah, these days the sympathy part is used by the person who responds to the résumé...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Thanks a million. I think that helped. Also, when I was publishing it I wasn't overwriting the files. So I was all messed up either way. I got them to match like you said and then did the overwriting and seems to be working.

On a side note: I might condense some of the folders like you suggested but I will be adding quite a few more pages to the site. So, I will wait on that for a bit.

Thanks again for your help. With valentine's day coming up I was really freaking out :)

Monday, January 24, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Remember when correcting links to correct the ones in the footer also. Since you are using one of the default templates with its strange system or organization, you might want to read this article on reorganizing the site layout.

http://www.expression-web-tips.com/expression-web-in-box-templates/

As you create any new pages, save them to the main folder (root) of your web and give them a name that reflects the page subject.

Just a suggestion but you might try adding a height to the masthead container which would sit the bottom edge of the flower on the top of the menu.

Make sure and change what the default is between the <title></title> tags on each page to match the actual title of the page. If you do it at the time you are creating or editing the page, you are less likely to forget it later on.

If you make sure all the links are working correctly, then when you reorganize the site by renaming pages and dragging them from the individual folder to the root of the web, all link paths will be corrected.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Monday, January 24, 2011 6:37 PM