none
What if I do not rebuild my indexes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

we have a daily job to re-organize the table indexes and I have observed that the table fragmentation does not goes beyond 10%.

Do I still need to go ahead and rebuild index all the the indexes?  or I can continue whatever I am doing?

Regards, Ashif Shaikh

• Edited by Asif_DBA Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 7:14 AM

All replies

• A daily index rebuild is a bit to often & to much, better use a IndexOptimze maintenance: https://ola.hallengren.com/sql-server-index-and-statistics-maintenance.html

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:45 AM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:31 AM
  • I am using the same script, but my question is do I need to rebuild index even if the fragmentation level is 8%.

I mean is it required?

Regards, Ashif Shaikh

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:00 AM
  • I am using the same script, but my question is do I need to rebuild index even if the fragmentation level is 8%.

I mean is it required?

NO not required ONLY rebuild indexes if fragmentation is > 30% and page_count is > 2000(which means big indexes). There is NO point in rebuilding small indexes or indexes which are less than 30% fragmented.

You can reorganize if fragmentation is between 10 and 30 %, but again doing daily is overkill I would not suggest you to do that UNLESS you have strong case.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 10:04 AM