Information about Microsoft Media Expression batch move and duplicates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

I am a graphic designer her with Brewer and we are in need of a way to move a large quantity of images from one mac to a folder on a networked server.  These image will be sorted, then moved as a batch into folders with various subfolders.  Currently we are using Adobe Bridge, using Batch>Rename, keeping the name the same.  The only issue with this is that while Bridge does know it is creating a duplicate image (as it puts a (1) at the end of the file name), it does nothing about NOT creating the duplicate, or even giving an option of what to do.  Metadata, as far as I know (and I don’t know a lot about metadata) will not help, as the dates, times, etc can differ between the gathering of images.  

We are wanting to know a couple of things....
    #1) Is there a trial period, where we can download a trial copy of Iview, to see if it does what we want?
    #2) Can Iview moves batches of images into folders AND recognize duplicates?
    #3) Can Iview also search for duplicates across a network and then allow options for deletion, keeping, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Allene Farmer

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Allene,

Yes, though iView is called Expression Media - and was recently sold to Phase One. So you would need to download the trial from www.phaseone.com. You would have 30 days to play with the features to see if it does what you need.

It CAN move batches of images. You have the choice of copying images without resetting the catalog to point to the new location - so just create copies - or telling the catalog to point to the new location. It does not consider an image a duplicate unless the path AND the filename are a match. So technically speaking you could have the same image in 2 different folders and show them in the same catalog.

Hope this helps,
    Anita

Friday, August 13, 2010 1:48 PM