none
Sharepoint 2013 An unrecognized HTTP response was received when attempting to crawl this item RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running with below issue, when run the search crawl.

An unrecognized HTTP response was received when attempting to crawl this item. Verify whether the item can be accessed using your browser. ( Error from SharePoint site: WebExceptionStatus: TrustFailure The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.; SearchID = )

and all the certificates valid till 2026

Errors:

PartialChain: A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority.
    RevocationStatusUnknown: The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
    OfflineRevocation: The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Gayam Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Gayam,

Have you renewed your SSL cert recently? If so, ensure the old cert was deleted form the server and then restarte the search services using services.msc. Then start a full crawl and check the results.

This issue may be many reasons, you can try below solutions for solving your issue(check the results after each solution):

Solution 1: Go to SharePoint Central Administration > Manage service applications > Search Service Application > Farm Search Administration, and toggle the "Ignore SSL warnings" to "Yes".

Solution 2: Try to add your site cert into the Trust Relationships under Manage Trust.

Solution 3: Remove the proxy settings in Internet Explorer and restart the search service to see how it works. To do this, follow these steps:

a. In IE, open the Internet Options. Go to Connections tab, click LAN settings.

b. Under Proxy server, click to clear the Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) check box, and then click OK two times.

Solution 4: In IE, open the Internet Options. Go to Security tab, click the "Local Intranet Sites" section. Click “Advanced” and add your site URL to the "Local Intranet”.

Solution 5: Try to reset IIS on all server in the farm and then run the full crawl.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I have tried all the above five solutions, issue still remain same.

Please suggest

Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:52 AM
  • HI Gayam, I experienced the same issue of you previously. Is there a load balancer has setup in your domain? perhaps you can check the configuration from there. try to access your web application/site in the search server and see if accessible.
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 12:06 PM
  • Hi Gayam,

You need to make sure that you have a valid certificate. Try to use another browser and check the results.

Try below methods:

Method 1: Create a Root CA cert and then generated a Cert from that root CA with the required CN. Then add the root CA to your machine’s trusted root certificate, and check the results.

Method 2: Disable Loopback by setting the DisableLoopbackCheck registry key.

Reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/896861/you-receive-error-401-1-when-you-browse-a-web-site-that-uses-integrate 

Method 3: The Windows Firewall settings had been set to on and this could have possibly caused crawl issues as well. A firewall may already been in use which could potentially cause conflicts. From the SharePoint Server, click on Start > All Programs > Windows Firewall Advance Settings and change all the Firewall settings to "Off".

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 29, 2018 1:55 AM
  • Hi Gayam,

How are things going?

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:38 AM
  • i have tried all above steps, but noluck

Still I am getting below error

Thumbprint: d4574EXXXXXXXX  Errors:   PartialChain: A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority.  RevocationStatusUnknown: The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.  OfflineRevocation: The revocation function was unable to check revocation because t... 351fbf7b-1815-4d2e-8788-a39073bcd241

SetSTSErrorInfo ErrorMessage = Error from SharePoint site: WebExceptionStatus: TrustFailure The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. hr = 800454544  [sts3util.cxx:]  search\native\gather\protocols\sts3\sts3util.cxx 351fbf7b-1815-4d2e-8788-a39073bcd241

Please suggest

Friday, July 6, 2018 11:53 AM
  • If your cert doesn't expire until 2026, this would indicate it is an internally generated certificate, not one from a public CA. Can you describe your CA configuration? Are there intermediaries that issue certificates? Or is there a 3-tier setup (root, intermediary, subordinate)? Do machines trust that CA? You may also need to add the root/intermediate/subordinate certificate to the Manage Trust in Central Admin -> Security.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, July 6, 2018 3:03 PM
  • Winner winner chicken dinner!

My 2016 farm's crawl failed really really bad.  This post pointed me in the right direction as I had just renewed the certificate on the WFE/content source.  Rebooted Search Server and crawl is working fine.  I had previously reset IIS on WFE and rebooted CA (for another reason).

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:14 PM