none
Cannot install Visual Studio 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Here are the facts.

First, I removed all instances of previous versions of Visual Studio, dating back to Visual Studio 6, up to Visual Studio 2017.

Removed any remaining Visual Studio folders from the drive.

First attempt to download using Google Chrome failed as Chrome blocked the download of the installer.  No option appears to have been made available to stop that behavior.

Next attempt using Microsoft Edge, appears to have downloaded the installed, but when I try to open the file, nothing happens.  Close Edge, then go directly to the file, and it still does not open.

My system has 16GB of system RAM.  Running the latest 1909 build of Windows 10.

I am really stuck.  Wish I had left Community 2017 installed.  At least I could continue coding.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:11 AM

All replies

• Hi BS1199,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

In addition to ensuring the latest Windows system, before the installation, suggest that clean the %temp% folder and temporarily turn off any anti-virus software. Please make sure that you download the VS2019 from the Microsoft site: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/.

>> First attempt to download using Google Chrome failed as Chrome blocked the download of the installer.  No option appears to have been made available to stop that behavior.

## Downloading the VS2019 via Google Chrome failed, is there any error messages? You can temporarily change the Safe Browsing of Google Chrome: Settings > Privacy and security > Safe Browsing > No protection.

>> Next attempt using Microsoft Edge, appears to have downloaded the installed, but when I try to open the file, nothing happens.  Close Edge, then go directly to the file, and it still does not open.

## Please try to right-click the exe file and run it as administrator.

In order to avoid a temporary server outage at the time you were downloading, please restart your machine and try to download again.

Meanwhile, please check if you have a subscription of Visual Studio Dev Essentials. If not, please subscribe it and try again.

Hope it helps and any feedback will be expected.

Sincerely,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 3:28 AM
  • I did set "Safe Browsing" to "No Protection" in Chrome and it gave me a warning then when I pressed "Keep"
    , it still blocked the download.

In Microsoft EdgeI tried both "Run" and "Save" options.

I already had tried right-clicking the file and choosing "Run as Administrator".  Forgot to mention it.

I joined Visual Studio Dev Essentials.

I cleaned out the Windows temp folder. 

It still will not run.

As a test, I went to some other sites and downloaded executables and they worked fine.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 11:23 AM
  • I would like to clarify.  I know the issue has something to do with my system.  I have installed 2019 on another system just fine.  I had 2017 installed just fine on my system.

I just cannot figure out why 2019 will not install on my system and need some help.  I have been admin of computer systems for over 20 years and this is a first for me.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 10:16 PM
  • Hi BS1199,

Thanks for your feedback.

When Google Chrome blocks the download, are there any errors or warnings?

It seems that you can download VS2019 by using Microsoft Edge, after you run the downloaded file as administrator, what happened?

If possible, please share some screenshots with us so that we can resolve it better.

In addition, Please check if you have 3rd party anti-virus software enabled or enterprise group policy in place that is restricting you. If so, please temporarily disable them and try again.

In order to avoid the errors caused by your system, I suggest you refer to the following links to fix it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Anna

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 2, 2020 10:07 AM
  • I keep forgetting to mention I have no anti-xxxx software, of any kind, installed.

I cannot post any images.  The site pops up a dialog and says I cannot post an image until my account has been verified.  Nothing happens after that.

The error Chrome gives me when I have site protection off is, "This type of file can be harmful to your computer.  Do you want to keep vs_Community.exe anway?"

When I press the "Keep" button, the message changes to "Failed - Blocked".

There is nothing to show when I try to run the file downloaded with Edge.  It does nothing.  Here re my exact steps.

1) Open Edge and navigate to the download page, just like the one above in Chrome.

2) Click on the "Community 2019" download link, from the drop down list.

3) A few seconds after entering the download page, I get a dialog titled, "Start building apps in Visual Studio".  I close that.

4) I have tried "Run" and it showed "Running a security scan" and then nothing happens after that.

5) I tried "Save", then closing Edge and navigating directly to the file double-clicking it to start it.  Nothing happens.

6) I tried right-clicking the file and selecting, "Open".  Nothing happened.

7) I tried right-clicking the file and selecting, "Run as administrator".  Nothing happened.

8)  I have tried opening the task manage and watching the processes.  Then tried items 5 through 7 again.  Never saw the file in the process list.

9) I installed Malwarebytes to see if I had some malware/spyware.  It showed nothing.  Removed it from my computer.

10) Tried ESET Online scanner and it did not find anything either.

11)  The sfc scan stated everything was fine.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:00 PM
  • I take it from your silence you have no idea what could be wrong.

How about this.  I had Community 2017 installed before all this.  Is there anyway to get the 2017 installer?  It worked.

I have many applications which all work flawlessly on my system, but I need a development application.  If you cannot figure out what the problem is, or allow 2017 to be installed, could you point me to another development platform?  I am in a bind right now and have a task to complete in three weeks.

• Edited by BS1199 Friday, July 3, 2020 1:23 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 1:21 AM
  • Hi friend,

Thanks for your feedback.

>> Could you point me to another development platform?

## You can kindly check if the “Live help” could help you, and use live chat support option (English only) for further assistance.

>> Is there anyway to get the 2017 installer?

## Actually, installing VS 2017 and VS 2019 needs the same installer which is named “Visual Studio Installer”, and there isn’t a specific installer version like “VS 2017 installer”.

Besides, as you know, VS Installer needs to connect to internet to download some necessary components, so I may consider if Visual Studio Installer can’t access to the Internet. Of course I notice that you clarify that you can successfully install VS 2019 on another system, so I think you use the same network environment and it should work well.

By the way, if possible, could you share me with the setup log, not sure if it exists in this issue, but you can have a try: download and run this collect.exe tool, go to %temp% folder and find the vslog.zip file, upload it to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 7:51 AM
  • I cannot download the "collect.exe" file and execute it either.  Same problem.  

The system I installed 2019 on is 50 miles from here.  It was another developer.

I looked through the system Event logs and cannot find any errors or warnings there, related to this.

My system does not run with the default security and privacy settings that Windows 10 ships with.  Is there anything there which could impact the installation of VS2019?

I'll try the live chat again, but I have never been able to get any response there.  All I get is the "We are experiencing higher than normal wait times.  Thanks for your patience.  You're still in line for chat." message.

Friday, July 3, 2020 12:37 PM
  • Finally got through in the Live chat.  She tried to help, but had me go through the same things you did and ended up asking me to post this; (well, I cannot post the link.  The popup says my account is not verified,.....whatever that means).

No response there.  I did not expect much from there as it is the Mac forum, but it was the only way to get a post to that community as the Windows forum requires Visual Studio to be installed before you can post anything.

Is there anyone who can tell me what service dependencies the installer needs?  It is possible I have a service it needs disabled.

Saturday, July 4, 2020 12:29 PM
  • Hi BS1199,

Sorry to hear about this issue you are having.

If you can’t upload images or links here, please add a reply in this thread and wait to verify your account.

It seems strange that you can’t download the VS2019 from the Microsoft site. Please refer to the document and add some domain URLs to an allow list as trusted sites. Then, try to re-download Visual Studio 2019 from here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Anna

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:07 AM
  • I appreciate the suggestions, but I am not behind a firewall.  I have to enable it to add URL's to the list. Windows 10 is always complaining about no firewall being enabled.  I wish I could shut message/notification that off, but it is what it is.

Someone suggested I have a group policy blocking the download, but that is not the case either.

To further complicate matters, The Edge browser got updated yesterday and now it is saying the download is blocked, just like Chrome.

• Edited by BS1199 Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:42 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:38 AM
  • It gets stranger.  Sometime in the last 24 hours, Edge got updated to the new version.  Now it says it is blocking the download, just like Chrome.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 11:56 PM
  • Hi BS1199,

You can try to uninstall the IE and Google Chrome, then, select the Start button > Settings > Update & Security >Troubleshoot. Under Get up and running, select Windows Update > Run the Troubleshooter to check for the errors that exist in your Windows.

If the above operation is finished, you can re-install the IE and Google Chrome to download the Visual Studio again.

Hoping everyhting goes well.

Sincerely,

Anna 

Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:07 AM