"No Silverlight project specified for Silverlight output" error at TFS build RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am experiencing a weird error, but first some description of the solution I have. It is a solution containing WPF and Silverlight projects. The WPF projects are class libraries which are played by a WPF application. Silverlight projects are Silverlight apps referenced by a Web application which is hosting them.

I get the error (from the title) when starting build over TFS, yet this error does not pop up if building this solution locally with Visual Studio. I should also mention that previously these Silverlight apps were hosted by another Web application (Web forms) and that this error started happening after deciding to host them another Web application (MVC). Locally, everything builds and runs smoothly, but TFS throws build errors..

Here is a snippet from the TFS build output. I hope somebody can provide insight into this weird behaviour. Thanks in advance!

MSBUILD : error : Copying file D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\Testconversion\Template\Silverlight\SCT\REFDEMOAPP\REFDEMOAPP001\Bin\Release\REFDEMOAPP001.xap failed. No Silverlight project specified for Silverlight output D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\Testconversion\Template\Silverlight\SCT\REFDEMOAPP\REFDEMOAPP001\Bin\Release\REFDEMOAPP001.xap. [D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\src\UI\APP.UI.Testplayer.Testplayer.HTML\WebTestPlayer.csproj]
    • Edited by Mrki01 Friday, February 5, 2016 12:43 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 12:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Mrki01, 

If that REFDEMOAPP001.xap file can be found on your build agent from D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\Testconversion\Template\Silverlight\SCT\REFDEMOAPP\REFDEMOAPP001\Bin\Release folder, please set the Destination folder = D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\Testconversion\Template\Silverlight\SCT\REFDEMOAPP\REFDEMOAPP001\Bin\Release for your application project follow below screenshot, then check-in your solution to TFS Server and queue build definition again.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Mrki01,  

Thanks for your post.

What’s the version of your TFS and VS?

Please logon your build agent machine, then manually build your solution using VS and MSBuild command separately, ensure your same solution can be built successfully.

And try the answer reply in this similar post: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ca0674fd-bb81-4d86-b458-6e7118bcccab/msbuild-error-no-silverlight-project-specified-for-silverlight-output-in-team-build?forum=silverlightdevtools.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, February 8, 2016 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! We have TFS 2013 (Update 1) and Visual studio 2015 installed.

Building solution with Visual Studio works, but we get build errors when building with MSBuild.

Regarding the answer in the post you mentioned, before changing to the new Web Application we didn't have any problems and the Silverlight projects were referenced by adding them in the Web Applications->Properties->Silverlight Applications. Therefore, we were thinking to keep this setup (personally, I find it unhandy to set the output path of each Silverlight project manually...).

Some thing does come to my mind now...The target framework of the previous Web Application was .NET 4.0, but the new Web Application has .NET 4.5 (because of MVC 4 used). Can this somehow cause the build errors?

Monday, February 8, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi Mrki01,    

Thanks for your reply.

As we know that TFS 2013 invoke 12.0 version of MSBuild.exe to build solution on build agent machine by default. So you need ensure you can manually build your solution using MSBuild command on build agent machine before build it in TFS 2013.

If cannot manually build your solution using MSBuild command, you can contact MSBuild experts for the better response, after you resolved this manually MSBuild error, then try build it in TFS again.  

According the error message, it seems that REFDEMOAPP001.xap file cannot be copied, logon your build agent machine, ensure this .xap file existed in that path, and ensure your Silverlight project’s output path included the assemblies which be used to build your .xap file.

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/kmoraz/2012/03/18/no-silverlight-project-specified-for-silverlight-output/

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried the solution suggested at the blog and I think it does not fit us because setting the output path, copies over all files, not just the XAPs. This is a problem as we have dozens of hosted Silverlight projects.

As suggested, I also posted this problem to the MSBuild forum.

Thanks for your help though!

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Hi Mrki01,

Thanks for your reply.

And I will tracking the replies in that MSBuild forum post too.

But I think you should better write “I received the same error(or error message) when I manually build my solution using MSBuild command line…” in that MSBuild forum post.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi Mrki01, 

If that REFDEMOAPP001.xap file can be found on your build agent from D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\Testconversion\Template\Silverlight\SCT\REFDEMOAPP\REFDEMOAPP001\Bin\Release folder, please set the Destination folder = D:\24\APP_NX\APPmain\Sources\Testconversion\Template\Silverlight\SCT\REFDEMOAPP\REFDEMOAPP001\Bin\Release for your application project follow below screenshot, then check-in your solution to TFS Server and queue build definition again.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:25 AM