none
Performance based routing not working as expected RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to dig into an issue which I'm experiencing at work. I'll try to explain what I'm working with as best as possible.

We have a number of App Services all set up the same way: 

2 regions, West US 2 and West Central US. In front of the App Services we have a traffic manager configured for performance based routing. 

That is the extent of what I have control over. We do have a multi-region API Management instance set up in both of these regions as well which route to the App Service traffic managers (this is outside of my control). From my understanding, the API Management when running in multiple regions is also configured to route based on performance.

The issue I'm seeing is that although traffic is getting to the API Management in both regions as expected, the App Service traffic managers are always ever routing to West US 2, so our App Services never get traffic in West Central US.

Based on my understanding of the way performance based routing to work, I would expect the traffic from the West Central US APIM to be routed to the West Central US App Services.

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of set up or experienced this issue?

Friday, January 10, 2020 4:55 PM

All replies

• This is abnormal, but it does have an explanation. As explained Here in how Traffic Manager performance routing works, The performance is not tested from the machine making the call, but from the DNS server that the machine making the call uses. If you are using the same DNS servers for both regions (A DNS server closer to West US 2), they will all go to the same app service. 
    Monday, January 13, 2020 10:37 PM
  • Hello,

If you think your question has been answered, please click "Mark as Answer" if just helped click "Vote as helpful". This can be beneficial to other community members reading this forum thread.

Best regards

Subhash

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:21 AM