none
Visual C++ 2010 and 2013 Installed along with SQL server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After installing SQL Server 2016 SP2-CU8 following components get installed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable - 12.0.30501

(2017 get installed too but they're fine)

My IT Security are concerned about security vulnerabilities that are being flagged with those older 2010/2013 versions. Is it safe to remove them? I can't find reference to this anywhere in the documentation.

Thanks,

Dawid 

Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:54 PM

All replies

• Well, if it is a VM, why not just take a snapshot of the VM, uninstall them DLLs and see what happens.

If it is a physical machine, I would not do it. I have no idea, but I don't think those DLLs were installed just for fun.

Possibly, you replace them with newer versions, if such are avilable.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:18 PM
  • Well, if it is a VM, why not just take a snapshot of the VM, uninstall them DLLs and see what happens.

If it is a physical machine, I would not do it. I have no idea, but I don't think those DLLs were installed just for fun.

Possibly, you replace them with newer versions, if such are avilable.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:19 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing. Like you say they must be there for a reason. With SQL 2014 VC 2008 and 2010 seem to get installed...

Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:54 PM
  • Hi Hellfire2260,

Those DLLS were installed for sql server 2016. Although these components may not be exclusive to sql server, it may be related to some configuration of VS.

In my test environment, I only installed sql server 2016, which also installed these components.

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, September 6, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Hi Dawid.

I've several versions of those Visual C++ Redistributable packages installed on my Windows 10 machine, too. All those runtime components are installed only when needed: you should not remove them since some program that depend on those components could stop working.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Friday, September 6, 2019 7:14 AM