How to find bitlocker recovery key from Azure Active Directory for my work laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Because of some hardware issue, the technician replaced the motherboard of my laptop. Then when starting the laptop, a bitlocker recovery key is required.

I never encrypt the laptop and it should be automatically encrypted by windows 10. Because it is a work laptop, I cannot find the recovery key from my microsoft account. When logining in aka.ms/aadrecoverykey, I only find my profile as an employee of the organization, and no recovery key. Could anyone help this?

I also find that I can log in portal.azure.com. But when I try to access Azure Active Directory, the interface indicates that I have no access. 

I asked the IT center of my organization, the answer is 'Active Directory is not in place here, and therefore managed Group Policy is not in place.' Does anyone can help to explain?

It is a horrible disaster to me. Recoverykey is not in my personal microsoft account because of it is a work laptop. My workplace IT guy claims that 'Active Directory is not in place'. What could I do as a user and customer????

Thank you very much in advance!

Saturday, March 28, 2020 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hello Dubistmein , 

In your case , I am sure it would be probably Policy enforced using Intune if the IT team on your side denies using Group policy. I am not sure if you mean that your IT team said " Azure Active Directory" is not in place " or Just Active Directory is not in place ? If you have a work account which lets you access Office 365 services then your organization does have Azure AD . Because Office 365 uses Azure AD as a user store and authentication mechanism in the backend. Try going to https://aad.portal.azure.com/ or https://devicemanagement.microsoft.com/ and go to the devices section in any of them to try to find the bitlocker key. If you are not able to view that and it says access issues , then you will need to contact your administrator who managed Azure Active directory instance for your company/organization. If you are not able to find the right person , please download the Azure AD Powershell on windows 10 and install it using the article Azure AD powershell

Once you have Azure AD powershell installed , logon to Azure AD using the Connect-AzureAD cmdlet and use your organization ID/pass to logon. I would suggest you to run a few commands below which will tell you the details of the global administrators for your Azure AD instance. 

PS C:\>$role = Get-AzureADDirectoryRole | Where-Object {$_.displayName -eq 'Company Administrator'} PS C:\>Get-AzureADDirectoryRoleMember -ObjectId $role.ObjectId | Get-AzureADUser

You can use the list of UPNs that you obtain to contact them. That is the only way to recover the bitlocker Key . I am not sure what else could be done in this case. Hope this helps. In case you have any further queries , please let us know. If this information helps you , please do mark it as answer so that other community members who are searching for similar answers may be able to make use of this as well as the relevancy of the answer will improve. 

Regards, 

Shashi 

Please take a moment to "Mark as Answer" and/or "Vote as Helpful" wherever applicable. Thanks!!

Monday, March 30, 2020 5:14 PM
  •  Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:50 AM
  • @Dubistmein  Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:42 AM
  • @Dubistmein  Is there any update on the issue?

If the suggested answer helped for your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 5:58 PM