Not able to connect to Azure DB for MySQL from AKS RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed my web application to Azure Kubernetes Services. In some way it seems to be blocking the connection to the DB (Azure Database for MySQL) from AKS. I am getting the following error:

Client connections to Basic tier servers through Virtual Network Service Endpoints are not supported. Virtual Network Service Endpoints are supported for General Purpose and Memory Optimized severs.

Am I missing something? Locally I am able to connect to it. Both from Docker and DataGrip. 

Thanks in advance!

With kind regards,

Dennis

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Dennis,

You will need to upgrade your Azure Database for MySQL instance from Basic to General Purpose or Memory Optimized service tiers. 

Is your AKS instance running in a VNET? Please see: Use Virtual Network service endpoints and rules for Azure Database for MySQL

What is happening is that you are connecting from on-premise and not another VNET, and you have created an IP ACL to allow traffic from your on-premise Public IP. In the case of AKS, the traffic is coming from another VNET which is supported by General Purpose and Memory Optimized service tiers and not the Basic tier.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

• Marked as answer by DennisMK Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

You will need to upgrade your Azure Database for MySQL instance from Basic to General Purpose or Memory Optimized service tiers. 

Is your AKS instance running in a VNET? Please see: Use Virtual Network service endpoints and rules for Azure Database for MySQL

What is happening is that you are connecting from on-premise and not another VNET, and you have created an IP ACL to allow traffic from your on-premise Public IP. In the case of AKS, the traffic is coming from another VNET which is supported by General Purpose and Memory Optimized service tiers and not the Basic tier.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

• Marked as answer by DennisMK Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:00 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 11:47 PM
  • Thank you! Upgrading the MySql from Basic to General Purpose solved it :-)  
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:01 PM