none
In place upgrade from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I upgrade from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2017 with only the database engine and SSIS installed.  I am able to uninstall SQL Server 2014 SSIS, and SSMS using unattended  configuration file.  But When I have all the services installed (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS)  somehow the installation process leaves a lot of SQL Server 2014 menu items behind, and SSIS 12 in the configuration manager behind.  But I can't clean it up. I see some suggestions to go to the program features and uninstall, but I am try to execute this in an unattended way.

First of all is this to be expected.  shouldn't it get rid of SQL Server 2014 items from the menu?  Thanks.

Friday, October 5, 2018 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi shsin,

Upgrading in place means that the SQL Server setup program upgrades the existing SQL Server installation by replacing the existing SQL Server bits with the new SQL Server bits and then upgrades each of the system and user databases. So it is unnecessary to uninstall the previous instance and service.

But When I have all the services installed (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS)  somehow the installation process leaves a lot of SQL Server 2014 menu items behind, and SSIS 12 in the configuration manager behind.

I am not clear about the meaning of "leaves a lot of SQL Server 2014 menu items behind". Could you please tell us which instance and features you selected to upgrade from 2014 to 2017. And if there are any other SQL Server 2014 instance in your machine.

For more details, you can refer to these documents. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/upgrade-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, October 8, 2018 5:37 AM