none
Merge replication sql 2014 or higher RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have an application that works with merge replication between a sql database in a server and a sql ce database on the user's notebooks or netbooks running Windows. We know that merge replication no longer support replicating with sql ce in SQL 2014 or higher, so we would like to know what is the best aproach we could take to replace this.

Would you recommend to continue using merge replication replacing sql ce databases for sql express or would it be best to use a different tool?

Thanks in advance for your answer

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Given that you have already your server database set to be published, I would recommend you to switch to SQL Server Express on the client notebooks as subscribers. Beware that the "LocalDB" edition of SQL Server Express cannot act as a subscriber for Merge Replication.

Also, considering that publishing databases to SQL Server Compact restricted many of the options exposed by the Merge Replication mechanism, I would also recommend you to explore the options provided by the mechanism to optimize the whole sync on demand / continuous process.

About using another tool, I would say it's difficult to find a sync mechanism as optimized and reliable as Merge Replication, I'm really sad that we had to develop our own to be used with current mobile devices.

Alberto Silva / www.moving2u.pt - R&D Manager / Former Microsoft MVP (2003-2015)

Friday, December 6, 2019 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Given that you have already your server database set to be published, I would recommend you to switch to SQL Server Express on the client notebooks as subscribers. Beware that the "LocalDB" edition of SQL Server Express cannot act as a subscriber for Merge Replication.

Also, considering that publishing databases to SQL Server Compact restricted many of the options exposed by the Merge Replication mechanism, I would also recommend you to explore the options provided by the mechanism to optimize the whole sync on demand / continuous process.

About using another tool, I would say it's difficult to find a sync mechanism as optimized and reliable as Merge Replication, I'm really sad that we had to develop our own to be used with current mobile devices.

Alberto Silva / www.moving2u.pt - R&D Manager / Former Microsoft MVP (2003-2015)

Friday, December 6, 2019 10:48 AM
  • Thanks for your answer Alberto, i will explore the SQL Express option and see where it take us.
    Monday, December 9, 2019 1:48 PM