none
Build skips over some perfectly good "CL" compiles but gets most of the "NVCC" compiles RRS feed

• Question

• VS2013 (sorry, not my choice) skips over a dozen files. I can click on each file and compile it just fine, just cant be done with "build".  I turned on diagnostics for the build log and saw the files listed but cannot make sense of the message

Target "ComputeCrtSDKReference" skipped, due to false condition; ('@(ClCompile)'!='' and
    '$(WindowsAppContainer)'=='true' and '$(UseCrtSDKReference)' != 'false') was evaluated as
     ('..\db\schema_master.cpp;....bunch of skipped over cpp files...and 'false'=='true' and '' != 'false').

I looked at the .vcxproj file and spotted stuff like the following in several places:
      <ItemGroup>
        <ClCompile Include="..\db\schema_master.cpp" />
        <ClCompile Include="..\db\sqlblob.cpp" />
        <ClCompile Include="..\db\sqlrow.cpp" />
        <ClCompile Include="..\db\xml_util.cpp" />
        <CudaCompile Include="analyzeFuncs.cpp">

The "CudaCompile" was not skipped over, just the ones above it.  I suspect I need to put all the CL into one ItemGroup and all the NVCC into another.  Is theres any way to do this using the IDE and not notepad?

If I switch to VS2017 using something named multitarget (just read about it) could the newer VS2017 handle this?   I am very limited on what I can change in the source due to compatibility with other platforms and OS so cannot compile using VS2107 or later natively.

[EDIT] I used notepad to edit the VXPROJ and organized the two pair of ItemGroups I thought were causing the problem.  Did not make a difference  However I noticed that the two items groups were NOT in any ItemDefinitionGroup. Maybe that is the problem.  This is what I see and none of the CL items are compiled unless I click on them in the IDE and ask for a compilation.  Not sure how to fix this.

</ItemDefinitionGroup>
      <ItemGroup>
         <CudaCompile Include="about a dozen of these.cpp" />
      </ItemGroup>
      <ItemGroup>
         <ClCompile Include="a bakers dozen of these.cpp" />
      </ItemGroup>
      <Import Project="$(VCTargetsPath)\Microsoft.Cpp.targets" />
      <ImportGroup Label="ExtensionTargets">
       <Import Project="$(CUDAPropsPath)\CUDA 10.2.targets" />
      </ImportGroup>
    </Project>

Sunday, January 5, 2020 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hi HosephSateson,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, you could try to follow this thread to re-add the cuda file in your C++ project, and then check if it could build them at the same time.

>>Is theres any way to do this using the IDE and not notepad?

You could right-click the project in solution explorer -> click "Upload Project" -> right-click the project -> "Edit ...."

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 6, 2020 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi HosephSateson,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

According to your description, you could try to follow this thread to re-add the cuda file in your C++ project, and then check if it could build them at the same time.

>>Is theres any way to do this using the IDE and not notepad?

You could right-click the project in solution explorer -> click "Upload Project" -> right-click the project -> "Edit ...."

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, January 6, 2020 5:43 AM
  • Did not know that!  learned something but too late as I used notepad.

I even see errors on some items:

<ProjectName> in namespace ..msbuild/2013.. ProjectGroup is an invalid child elements in that same namespace.

Same for <CudaCompile> and even <IntDir>

Not sure if I believe any of that.  Going to bring up a cuda 10.2 sample program and see if those errors show up. I think the IDE of Vs2013 does not have all the stuff it needs to use with the latest NVidia 10.2

Monday, January 6, 2020 4:12 PM