none
EDMX Designer Doesn't Retain Zoom Level RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fairly large model; this does not mean, however, that I want to see it by default at 20% zoom level. So, I set the zoom to 100% and verify that this is saved to the underlying XML. When I reopen the model, the designer automatically performs what seems to be a "zoom to fit" operation and changes the zoom attribute in the EDMX to a very small number, like 20. So, unless I (again) change the zoom level in order to make the diagram legible, the XML gets persisted with the new value. Is there any way to stop the designer from automatically changing the zoom level so I can avoid wasting time on this stupid problem? Thanks.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• I noticed the same (automatic 'zoom to fit') and in fact it does it so literally that you will see that undo button (blue upside-down “U” shape arrow) is turned on. So, simply execute an undo and you will be back to your original zoom. However you will not be back in the same location, you will be on the most top-left part of the graph - Hope this helps,

-Jaime.

-Jaime.
    • Proposed as answer by Jaime Alva Friday, June 4, 2010 2:18 AM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 2:17 AM
  • I cannot reproduce this in Visual Studio 2010: The zoom level is correctly restored when the edmx file is reopened. Which version of VS are you using? Can you post your model somewhere? I'd be happy to take a look...
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 5:13 PM
  • I'll be happy to provide the model if you can let me know where I can send it; without permission from my client though, I really wouldn't want to post in in a public area. 
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:24 PM
  • This behavior happens when the top left most entity can fit all of its relations on one single view. The, VS IDE adjust all the model to fit that Entity and selects it with all its relations also selected.

Press CTRL-Z to undo this behavior and see your saved Diagram state as intended.

• Proposed as answer by M...M Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:39 PM