none
Inability to create a Notebook VM for current (and only) user RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Following the tutorial for first ML with Python SDK (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/machine-learning/service/tutorial-1st-experiment-sdk-setup) I follow all of the steps but cannot create a VM that is recognisable within the tutorial stages. I can create a VM but the Created by username is not identical to my login username. I am the only user on the account, and therefore the only username. Since it appears to create the VM under live.com#MyUsername I am unable to access the VM within the tutorial. As such I cannot continue with the tutorial, or indeed any other tutorial that requires a working (and accessible) Notebook VM.

Thanks,

Alex

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Could you please clarify if you are able to create a notebook VM as mentioned in step 4 of Select a VM to run the notebook? The notebook VM should take the same account as the user that is logged into the Azure portal. If you are seeing a different user then it could be due to live account logged in from the browser. Could you please try to login in to Azure portal from a private window and try the same steps?

-Rohit

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:18 AM
  • Hello,

I can confirm that I am unable to create a notebook VM as per step 4 of the tutorial. I am aware that the notebook VM should take the same account as the user that is logged into the portal, but it always appends "live.com#" onto the start of my username. This happens irrespective of the browser I use, or if it is in a private window. I am the only user, and no-one else has access to the account. As a result I cannot get any further with the tutorial as it states "No VMs found".

If I examine the created VMs it does not display any ("No notebook VMs to display") if the toggle 'Show created by me only' is active. If I untoggle this it shows the created VMs - with the 'Created by' name of 'live.com#MyUsername" - hence they are created, but the system does not recognise me as being the creator due to the appending of "live.com#" to the start.

I spoke to a very helpful person on 16/10/2019 (Asim) who tried to assist me for over an hour - trying to replicate the issue, having me email in screenshots to confirm the issue I was having, but we could not find a solution. Therefore he requested it be escalated to a technician via this forum.

Thanks for taking a look, any help is greatly appreciated.

Alex

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hello Alex,

Did you raise an Azure support ticket to troubleshoot the issue with one of our support engineers? If so can you please provide the case details to check the screen shots? Since we are unable to replicate the scenario having the screen shots would help.

If you have not contacted our support team yet we would be glad to provide you a a one time support request option if your subscription does not have a valid support plan. This will provide you assistance with an engineer who will be able to debug the issue on a one on one basis if required.

-Rohit

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hello Rohit,

Thank you for getting back to me about this. I was advised to raise the issue via this forum and Asim would escalate it internally as I am currently on the free trial subscription.

That is very kind of you to offer this. I will submit a support request now and attach screenshots to demonstrate the issue in the request.

Thesupport request case details are as follows: 119102425001150

Many thanks for your assistance.

Alex

Thursday, October 24, 2019 10:24 AM
  • Hello Alex,

Thanks for sharing the information. We have escalated this issue to our product team and they would like to understand if you are able to use the notebook by clicking the Jupyter Lab link as seen in this screen shot.

-Rohit

Thursday, October 24, 2019 4:21 PM
  • Hello Rohit,

Thank you for escalating this. I can confirm that if I click on either of those two links it does indeed appear to launch Jupyter and JupyterLab directly via this route (into a new window).

Thanks,

Alex

Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:54 PM
  • I'm sharing the same problem with Alex, following the tutorial instruction(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/machine-learning/service/tutorial-1st-experiment-sdk-setup) created a workspace and notebook VM, but the VM is identified under the name as "live.com#MyUsername", then I could not continue to complete next part of the tutorial. My account type is "pay as you go".

CY

Friday, October 25, 2019 3:13 AM
  • @Alex & macrovan_1207,

Our team is working on a fix to display the notebook VMs created in the portal. As a workaround you can use the notebook by directly clicking the Jupyter lab links.

Thanks for reporting this.

-Rohit

Friday, October 25, 2019 4:32 AM
  • thank you Rohit, the Jupyter lab link works for me.
    Friday, October 25, 2019 8:06 AM
  • I'd like to chime in and mention that we're also running into this same issue. Are you able to provide an ETA on the fix?
    Friday, October 25, 2019 10:32 PM
  • Hello Simon,

The changes should be in production by 10/29. We will update this thread if there is any delay.

-Rohit

Sunday, October 27, 2019 3:58 PM