none
Corrupted "PGD" file causes link to stop VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• I checked associations and the PGD is opened by visual studio selector, not that PGP program.  This is a VS2017 project from Berkeley I just started working on.

The link line shows "/PGD:"._windows_intelx86_x64_vs2017_v141_PGO_instrumented.pgd"

Is this a feature I can disable?

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:45 PM

Answers

• Thanks, I tried that tool and it ran without error.  Unfortunately, VS2017 thinks there is an error in that file and wont link my program although it appears to compile just fine.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Warning D9002 ignoring unknown option '/arch:SSE2'
    Error LNK1136 invalid or corrupt D:\Projects\VSrepository\src\xxx_windows_intelx86_x64_vs2017_v141_PGO_instrumented.pgq

Questions

1.  When I select the project and select "build", all sources in the project are built as if a rebuild was requested.  This is not the behavior I was accustom too.  It this because that PGD file is corrupted?

2.  When I select the project  and click "clean", all the projects are cleaned, not just the one I selected.  This does not seem right.

OK, fixed it:  Changed the following to

"default".  When I read this "restarting link with /LTCG; add /LTCG to the link command line to improve linker performance" I was worried it was going to undo what I had done but no, the link worked. Maybe VS2019 will fix this?

[EDIT] This also fixed the problem of all the sources being compiled when there was not need to!!!!

Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:42 PM

All replies

• Hi JosephStateson,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

As far as I know, there is not any appropriate options to preview pgd file in VS IDE. But you could refer this workaround using Profile Guided Optimization Manager to do it, the tool is default installed in VS installation path.

pgomgr /summary <your application>.pgd

pgomgr /summary /detail <your application>.pgd

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Thanks, I tried that tool and it ran without error.  Unfortunately, VS2017 thinks there is an error in that file and wont link my program although it appears to compile just fine.

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Warning D9002 ignoring unknown option '/arch:SSE2'
    Error LNK1136 invalid or corrupt D:\Projects\VSrepository\src\xxx_windows_intelx86_x64_vs2017_v141_PGO_instrumented.pgq

Questions

1.  When I select the project and select "build", all sources in the project are built as if a rebuild was requested.  This is not the behavior I was accustom too.  It this because that PGD file is corrupted?

2.  When I select the project  and click "clean", all the projects are cleaned, not just the one I selected.  This does not seem right.

OK, fixed it:  Changed the following to

"default".  When I read this "restarting link with /LTCG; add /LTCG to the link command line to improve linker performance" I was worried it was going to undo what I had done but no, the link worked. Maybe VS2019 will fix this?

[EDIT] This also fixed the problem of all the sources being compiled when there was not need to!!!!

Thursday, January 9, 2020 1:42 PM