none
Internet Explorer does not recognize installed silverlight version

Question

• I had IE 9 and SL 4 installed on my system and working fine. IE 9 started to behave as if SL was not installed prompting to install SL from yesterday night. When I proceed with the installation the installer aborts with the message that same version of SL is already installed.

Rolled back IE 9 to IE 8 but to no avail. Tried moving the site into Trusted Sites and all those. But IE still not able to recognize the installed SL and load my SL apps.

Browsers: IE 9 (now downgraded to IE 8)

Can some one help?

Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• Did u try uninstalling and re installing silverlight?

Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Yes. Even downgraded the newly updated IE 9.0 to IE 8.0 but to no avail.

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:22 PM
  • Tools>Manage Addons>Show - All Addons.

Locate Silverlight... is it enabled?

Friday, June 10, 2011 2:30 PM
  • No. Silverlight does not seem to be appearing in it.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

IE 9 should work with Silverlight 4.  You can get the supported browsers here. http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx

In your case, you'd better first manually remove the installed version and delete the installation folder.http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rpomeroy/archive/2008/06/10/how-to-manually-clean-up-a-bad-silverlight-installation.aspx

Then, update your system to the latest by using Windows update.  Finally, reinstall Silverlight.  Please let me know whether this works.  Thanks.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:04 AM
  • Dear Jonathan,

Tried the option. Even Microsoft Support is working along with me. They inspected the system in Easy Assist. We downgraded the browser to IE8 and tried all options but no avail.

The problem had been lingering around for the second week now.

Deepak

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi Deepaknet,

We are sorry to hear that.   But, just try to confirm, did you manually remove all the Silverlight related and delete installation folder, then, update your system, finally reinstall Silverlight?   It is weird.  Have you ever checked whether it is enabled?   You can check it Tools-->"Internet Options"  --> "Programs" -->"Manage Add-Ons".

Best regards,

Jonathan

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Hello there

Well, I have the exact same problem now as the original poster had about a year ago. Everything is simular, internet explorer 9 just stopped seeing silverlight over night, and for the last few weeks I have tried everything to get it working again! I even posted a seperate thred in here about the matter, but got no usefull replys unfortunatlly.

I am on a windows 7 64 bit machine, and YES, I have tried everything suggested above, severel times even, but to no avail, I am staritng to go insane!!!

If the original poster to this thred did find a sullution back then, I would be very greatfull if he could shed some light on the matter. I despereately need my silverlight working again ASAP!!

All the best from Allan

Hi Deepaknet,

We are sorry to hear that.   But, just try to confirm, did you manually remove all the Silverlight related and delete installation folder, then, update your system, finally reinstall Silverlight?   It is weird.  Have you ever checked whether it is enabled?   You can check it Tools-->"Internet Options"  --> "Programs" -->"Manage Add-Ons".

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Jonathan Shen – MSFT

Hi Deepaknet,

Best regards,

Jonathan

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:49 PM
  • Hello All,

I know this issue is a bit old, but I thought I would throw in my findings.  We had a user that was seeing the same problem.  They'd installed MS Silverlight several times on their Windows 7 64 bit machine and yet the add-on was not appearing under "Manage Add-ons" in IE.  Turns out that they were running IE 64-bit and the add-on was only installing on the 32bit version of IE.  Once I launched the IE 32bit I was able to view the add-on and run applications on our website that use Silverlight.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:59 AM
  • The easiest work around is to use IE 32 bit. You can find this in your program files x86 folder. After fighting with this issues for 2 days, This works. Hope it helps!
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Thank you! This is at least a workaround that works.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 6:30 PM
  • You are awesome! I battled this for days. This is the way around it.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 4:34 PM