none
Can't add automation solution for Start/Stop VM's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'd like to setup a schedule to start & stop our VM's but am stuck on the form to create the automation solution. I've been following this guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-solution-vm-management

I have setup an Automation account and then selected Start/Stop VM under related resources. From there I have selected to enable the solution. On the form to setup a solution I can select an existing or create a new Workspace but I cannot select the Automation Account that I have created previously. If I select to create a new Automation Account (which it does create), the form validation still fails and tells me I need an automation account.

I am an administrator for the account so permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Can someone please assist / advise.

Thanks
    Dale

Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:57 AM

Answers

• At this point I think it is best to contact Microsoft support as they can help you live. The other reason why you might not see the accounts is permissions but you already mentioned that is not problem so it must be some other issue that I haven't met at least. Sorry for not being able to help.
    • Marked as answer by Dale TG Friday, July 26, 2019 1:36 AM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I can partially understand where is the problem. Maybe if you post some screenshots or the errors you get would be better. In any case there are certain things to understand when that solution is enabled. When you enable that solution you need to select workspace and automation account. Those two needs to be located in the same region otherwise it is not possible to use them. The reason why they need to be in the same region is because they will be linked together. Because of the creation of that link those two also do not had to be linked before to other workspace/automation accounts. If you have previously linked the automation account to a workspace, when you select that workspace, the automation account will be automatically populated in the UI and will not allow you to select other automation account.

A little bit more on the topic:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-onboard-solutions-from-browse#unlink-workspace

If that is the problem you are facing and this gives you information on how to resolve it please mark the reply as answer.

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi Stanislav

Thanks for the reply. I went through the steps again ensuring the Workspace and automation account were in the same location but had the same problem.

In the screenshot below I can select an existing Workspace but I can't select an existing automation account - I've created several but the wizard just displays "No Automation Accounts found" as below. 

I can create a new automation account (subscription and resource group are disabled (as displayed) however it is not obvious why. I can go ahead and create a new automation account and it duly goes away and creates it. However when i click Create to add the solution as per the next screenshot, it display a validation error that an Automation Account is required even though I've just create a new one:

Any assistance much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dale

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:20 AM
  • Hi

I have just tested this scenario from end to end and it works for me. Below a will list the things that might be problem hopefully that you have run on one of them and this is causing the problems in your case.

- as in your case I started by creating workspace.

- next you need to select or create automation account. If you have automation account only those that are in the same region as the workspace and are not already linked to another workspace will be listed. In case you do not have any automation account listed you can create one. This is what I have done.

- When I click create on the automation account blade it started to create the account. After clicking create I didn't clicked anywhere else. I have waited for the automation account to be created and when that was done the other blades closed automatically and my newly created automation account was selected. Keep in mind that the creation of the account will trigger creation of service principal which requires Azure AD permissions.

- Next you have to click on configure properties even if you want to leave the default values. Just click on it and click OK.

- At last you can click create and it will start the deployment.

I hope this helps.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 10:53 AM
  • Thanks for getting back.

There seems to be an issue with my account then as it is not displaying any of my existing Automation accounts and the option to select a subscription and a Resource group are both disabled when attempting to create a new automation account through this wizard.

Any advice from here?

Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:45 AM
  • At this point I think it is best to contact Microsoft support as they can help you live. The other reason why you might not see the accounts is permissions but you already mentioned that is not problem so it must be some other issue that I haven't met at least. Sorry for not being able to help.
    • Marked as answer by Dale TG Friday, July 26, 2019 1:36 AM
    Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:48 AM
  • In case anyone in the future encounters this issue.  You have to make sure your Azure Automation Account and Workspace can be linked.  Only certain regions can be linked together.  For example, EastUS Workspace can only be linked with EastUS2 Automation Account.  That should explain why your automation accounts are not showing up, and even not showing up after being created.  I encountered this same issue and just re-read through the documentation and found this information useful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/automation-solution-vm-management

When enabling solutions, only certain regions are supported for linking a Log Analytics workspace and an Automation Account.

Workspace mappings provided below for reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/automation/how-to/region-mappings

Sunday, October 6, 2019 3:27 PM