Windows Live Messenger email notification not up-to-date RRS feed

• Question

• I have never had this problem before, until I start working at my new job.  My Messenger at work keeps showing that I have Unread emails in my Hotmail Inbox, when there are actually none.

Today I arrived, signed in, and saw (8) emails in the Messenger notification area.  I read and deleted all 8 of them, and when I was done, Messenger showed (5) Unread.  Every other installation of Messenger that I have had updates the email notification immediately - what is the problem here?
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:47 PM

All replies

• I've been haing the exact same problem for a few weeks and I can't find anything on it either.  It is really annoying.  I've been using Hotmail and some form of Messenger for about 5 years and this was never and issue until now.  It is making me mad since it virtually renders that function of Messenger useless if it won't update.

Anyone have any help on this?  Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by JIMJAM. _ Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by djartsincModerator Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:51 AM
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:54 PM
  •  

I don't have an answer but mine used to notify me of new emails but now it doesn't...what has Microsoft done?  If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    Friday, January 18, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Is this becoming a digital epidemic?  Now my home one is doing the same thing...  I hope someone gives us an explanation.... and a fix!!

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:11 PM
  • Did anybody ever find out what was/is going on?? mine updates sometimes and other times it doesn't...started around the same time as the original poster....doesn't work properly on any computer I use (and I use numerous).....so I know it's not just a network issue on my end....what's wrong with it and why haven't they fixed it yet???

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:51 AM
  • I am having same problem with one of my windows live id. I have 2 ids. One id is working fine it always shows email notification and updates it when i read the email but its not working with the other. Dont know whats the problem but this is really annoying. Some one please help.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Well it got even more annoying this morning when I received (in a row) 2 alerts saying I had mail.....both looked like they were giong to be junk mail (the pop up alerts that tell you you have mail)....but when I went to my email in box they weren't there, and you don't receive those alerts for junk mail (of which there was none either).  All other email is receiving fine (but I never receive alerts for it) and on my contact list it showed (2) new messages....but there were none..I signed out, signed back in and the 2 new messages indicater went away.

On THAT note, I am using eprompter (which is awesome) and IT didn't tell me I had two new messages when hotmail did......which tells me that somehow those email alerts weren't even meant for my account........

What the eff is going on windowslive??? it's been near 2 weeks now

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  

What irritates the living h*** out of me is that I keep e-mailing Microsoft support.  Everything they have me do involves my machine only and *gasp*... it doesn't help.

When will they admit that this is a WIDESPREAD SERVER ISSUE?  They keep saying it is on the machine, blah-blah-blah.

If it is the machine, than thousands of people have the same strange issue.  Or maybe... it's a problem with Microsoft's servers?!?

This whole "Live" stuff is for the birds.  Live, my arse... there's nothing "live" about Messenger never properly updating itself.

Anyone from Microsoft care to comment or better yet, actually fix the problem???

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:19 PM
  • I emailed their support this morning and gave them a link to THIS page, hoping that they will see it's not just MY computer before doing exactly what they've done to you and try and tell you it's only your machine.

I use 4 different computers regularly, I KNOW it's not my computer...now whether EVERYONE is experiencing it or it's only certain users on certain servers I know it's not just my machine. I haven't had this problem in 10 years of having a hotmail account and it's been nonstop for 2 weeks now. It's insane.

If you hear anything, if anyone hears anything let us know.

Here's hoping...

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:27 PM
  • Ive had the same problem as nobody101. I had two pop-ups telling me i had mail, both with spam-like senders, but when i went to look for them, they werent in the inbox. I also had another popup telling of an email that definately wasnt spam, but yet again when i looked for it in the inbox, it couldnt be found. What is going on.....?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem!! Sad

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:53 AM
  • Same here.  You would think given this is a microsoft forum they would say something....at least acknowledge the problem.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:42 PM
  • And that they would reply to my email to technical support....said I would receive a reply within 24 hours and still nothing......Right now, as we speak, I have received pop up notifications for 2 emails today.....however I've read them and my status indicater still shows (2).....GO FIGURE.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:20 PM
  • add me to the list of people Microsoft is aggrivating. No luck anywhere, no pop-up notifications for new mail and an incredibly off count mail status on top. Help from anywhere would be greatly appreciated....
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Add me to the list. I was on MSN Messenger 8.1 and thought the upgrade to Live Messenger would fix the issue. However, judging by the fact other people are having the same problem, I would say that it is not my computer playing up. So far, I have not seen a solution to this. I wonder if MS are even looking in to it.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:04 AM
  • I am also having this problem, as I speak I am showing 2 e-mail messages in my inbox but my e-mail is all read and up to date.
    The only way to update live messenger is to close the program completely and re-start it and sign back in.
    This is the same on my work PC, my home laptop and my home PC so as far as I can see, it is a Micro$oft issue.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:13 AM
  • Thats interesting. I am also showing 2 e-mail messages in my inbox.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:16 AM
  •  

I just want to say that when I started this thread, I felt so alone.  It's a relief, in a way, that so many others have this same problem... surely a fix must be in the works!
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Add me to the list, I have had this problem in the past, a long time ago. When this happens it has always been multiple machines for me. It never mattered which machine I would login in, I use up to 3 different computers a day with the same live account. Mine started not renewing the new message status a few days ago and still continues to be a problem.  In the past they always fixed it but it could take a few weeks.
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:22 PM
  •  

This has been like this since before the new year with all my computers.   I wonder if it has anything to do with all the problems with Xbox Live?   And maybe that is why they are not saying anything, since they are not aloud b/c they are getting sued!
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:15 PM
  • exact same problem here. the email count on live messenger is stuck at whatever number of eemails i had when i signed in, regardless of whether i read them or not. don't get any new email notification either. useless.

might try this eprompter thing
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:29 PM
  • ok, i uninstalled msn and reinstalled it from the get live website and it's come up with a new build. version 8.5

seems to have resolved this issue for me Smile
    Friday, January 25, 2008 12:37 AM
  • This is the response I finally got from Microsoft Tech Support (see below).......what they don't seem to understand is IT"S NOT MY ACCOUNT. And they think they need access to my account to see what the problem is???? I THINK NOT.  My notification was working perfectly for a few hours last night and again I'm back to the same problem. I've tried all their suggestions, long before I wrote to them....and if it's a widespread problem and he acknowledges that then my next question is do you think we're all idiots and that these problems just occurred simultaneously for all of us???

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Owel and I will be helping you today.

I understand that the email count for your unread emails do not match with the actual emails that you haven't read yet. You also verified that other Windows Live Messenger users are also experiencing this issue from a forum on our website. I know that this is quite a cause for concern. Let me help you with this issue.

We are aware of this issue and is currently working on what's causing issue and the steps to resolve it. Moreover, this issue normally occurs if your Hotmail settings are causing Hotmail to save the messages to a custom folder, and the messages are unavailable in the inbox or the Messenger service cannot connect to the Hotmail service to obtain the unread e-mail count. It is also possible that the Hotmail service cannot provide the correct e-mail count or the new e-mail notifications.

To help you resolve this problem, we must verify that you do not have rules established to route incoming messages to other folders that you may have created. Please follow these steps below:

1. Verify that you do not have rules established to route incoming messages to other folders that you may have created. For information about how to verify this or about rules, see Help after you sign in to view the inbox.

Note: If you need more help with this step, visit one of the following Web sites to contact Hotmail or Live Mail support, as applicable.

- For Hotmail, send the E-mail Support form at the following Web site: http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=hotmail&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts.

- For Live Mail, click "Live Mail" at the following Web site: http://support .live.com.

2. Verify that the Messenger option to receive notifications is selected:

a. Sign out of Messenger.

b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options", and then click "Alerts and Sounds" in the "Options" window.

c. Make sure that "Display alerts when e-mail is received" is selected.

3. Verify that the Messenger service can register with Hotmail to receive e-mail notifications.

a. Sign in to view your Hotmail mail box.

b. Send yourself an e-mail message.

c. Wait until the message has reached the inbox.

d. Sign in to Messenger, and then verify that you receive the notification that you have new unread e-mail messages in the inbox. The notification appears in your notification area as a shaded pop-up window.

4. Verify that you can see new e-mail notifications when you are signed in to Messenger.

a. Remain signed in to Messenger and send yourself another e-mail.

b. Verify that you can see a notification that you have a new e-mail message and that the e-mail count in the main Messenger window has been updated.

If you completed step 2 and step 3 and you do not receive notifications when you sign in to Messenger, reply to this support e-mail message. Include details about the steps that you followed and state whether MSN has your permission to access your account for additional investigation.

If step 2 and step 3 worked, but step 4 did not work, visit one of the following Web sites to contact Hotmail or Live Mail support, as applicable.

- For Hotmail, send the E-mail Support form at the following Web site: http://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=hotmail&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts.

- For Live Mail, click "Live Mail" at the following Web site: http://support .live.com.

Note: Include details about the steps that you followed.

Please inform us of the results you encounter after performing the above instructions so we may investigate further and give you more appropriate troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue.

I hope these steps resolve your concern with Windows Live Messenger. If you need further assistance, you may contact us at http://support.live.com. For additional information and self-help instructions, visit https://account.live.com/HelpCentral.aspx and choose "Windows Live Messenger" from the drop-down menu.

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Owel

Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:09 AM
  •  

oh and I'm using version 8.5....have been for longer than this problem has been occurring...it happens on my desktop with 8.1 and on my laptop and work computer with 8.5.  To the poster who suggested reinstalling...let us know if it keeps working for you, but my guess is it's only temporary....
    Friday, January 25, 2008 2:13 AM
  • All steps performed, nothing helped. I send myself an e-mail and Live Messenger doesn't show the notification that I have new mail.

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:19 PM
  • I have the same problem,i have uninstalled messenger and also delected it from the register and done a fresh install but still the same problem

Friday, January 25, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Well I have done what the support told to .. gone through all the steps but no results as of yet and yes i am also having the same problem for a some time now.. pls help if any solution is found..

thanks
    Friday, January 25, 2008 8:51 PM
  • I'm having the same problem here, messenger saying its got unread emails but hasn't and then not notifying me when i get new email...
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:43 AM
  • I've received a few different replies from Microsoft now......all basically saying they want access to my account and that they want copies of my connectivity logs and that they are apparently working on a fix for the problem.....well I'm pretty sure my single account isn't goingto help them find their solution and I just don't feel comfortable with them having access...it's not that I have anything to hide, but it just sounds retarded.....and it's more than one email account of mine anyway that it affects...

I also received an email from a tech support person saying they'd made a fix on the server side and asked me tot est my account again...so I did....it didn't work of course.

Just wondering if anyone elses has started to work consistently yet?

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:00 AM
  •  

No sir - I will definitely inform this thread if I get a fix, or if it just stops happening due to some server-side change.  Of course if that happens, then I expect that we'll all be posting in joy here.

Looking forward to that day my friends!

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:22 PM
  • interesting....got an email saying that mike steffler (one of our posters here) had posted something, yet when I tried to come here it said that the post was no longer available.....and sure enough I come here and there's no comment from Mike. Mike?? are they trying to keep you quiet??

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:33 PM
  •  

never mind....there your post is....updated in usual MSN time...
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:34 PM
  • I too have had the same problem since the first week of January. I repaired my currently installed software (8.1.0178.00) several times, and even upgraded to the latest version (8.5.XXX) before reverting to the older version. No success so far!

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:23 PM
  • My Live Messenger doesn't show the number of received new e-mails at all.

No fix still? It must be sooo complicated to fix. 

All those pesky objects and three thousand levels of abstraction are taking the toll aren't they?
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:27 PM
  •  

same problem here.....no new mail notification, and email count all wrong / won't update!!!  can't find the answer anywhere.

Same on all machines i try.

Monday, January 28, 2008 1:34 PM
  • I'm adding my name to the (ever longer) list.

A couple of weeks ago I started to get Live Messenger alerts that I'd received emails from people I'd never heard of but when I looked (I normally use Outlook2003) there was nothing in either my mailbox or my spam filter.

Then, a few days ago, Live Messenger simply stopped updating. it would remain permanently on the number of messages I had at sign-in, and take no account of me reading messages or new messages coming in. (Very) Occasionally I am getting a new message alert, but whenever I do the message count in Live Messenger doesn't update.

Wondering if it was me, I have system restored and I have uninstalled and then reinstalled Live Messenger. Hasn't helped one bit.

I think I'm going to check out the emprompter software someone mentions on the first page of the thread...
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:51 PM
  • well like I said before I've had a # of emails from tech support now. Finally I sent in my connectivity report from messenger as per their request. I wouldn't give them access to my account though. They SAID they are working on the issue, but it seems like they've had to work on the issue for a hella long time now...... I too still get the occasional update, and sometimes when I sign in it will properly tell me the amount of emails but not very often. I do like Eprompter, it can check up to 16 email addresses at once, can be set to update at different intervals and you can even set it so that you can either read just email headers (won't affect your msn inbox that way) or read the entire message thru eprompter (which will mark it as read in hotmail). I like it....would  probably still use it even if updates started workign properly as a supplement for when not signed in to messenger.....that's the bonus with it, it will check your accounts even when you are completely logged out....anyway ....just thought I'd let you all know they say they are working on a fix.....

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Same problem here.  Bloody annoying!

And My Xbox360 has the Red ring of Death.

Microsoft sucks.

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:33 PM
  • Count me in on those who are having the same problem. Thanks for doing the legwork. I'll look forward to a solution.

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Same thing here: no new mail notifications and unread mail count not being updated. I uninstalled and reinstalled WLM (8.5.1302.1018) but no change.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:30 AM
  • had this problem also, but to add matter worse, i couldn't receive offline messages from my contacts until my next log-on...what's wrong with the lag in updating?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Same problem, also with the offline messages.

Is this issue already reported to Microsoft? It would be helpful to have more information by an official.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Mine has suddenly started working as of 815am pst. Popup with new mail info and messenger updates with the number of new messages. I haven't downloaded any solutions. Anyone else working?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:22 PM
  • Count me in...said I had 4 messages, but really had none.  Restarted Live and took care of it.  Not good.  This has been going on for weeks!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Me and my boyfriend have had a similar problem. The other day he got a pop-up notification from Live Messenger telling him he'd got an e-mail from someone (he didn't recognise the address) and he clicked it...but no email in his inbox. The same thing has happened to me today. (We both use different computers).

We are worried this might be some kind of hack or virus. Has anyone else experienced this? We're quite nervous about it lol
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Wahoo!!!! As of this morning mine is back up and working properly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:28 PM
  • yes...wahoo!!!  mines working too  just in the last hour or so. fingers crossed it stays working!! 
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:42 PM
  •  

Don't get too excited, mine worked on Friday night from about 8 until early the next morning and then stopped working again.  It seems pretty sporradic and occasionnaly I still get alerts, but then the amount of emails still wont' change.

Anyway, let us know if it keeps working, cause mine sure as hell isn't! Stick out tongue

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:49 PM
  • same problem here, and unfortunately mine is still not fixed either U__U it's freakin annoying!

and offline message too has a problem, I can't receive them until I log on again

urgh, they killed my reason for using msn and I have to resist (or give into) urges of signing in and out just to make the number look right.. haha

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 1:18 AM
  • Damn ...  I reported earlier everything was working. Turned on the laptop tonight and it's not working on the laptop. wtf .... why is it working on one computer and not the other. I'm ready to trash everything microsoft. Just got over the IE6 crash problem with one of the December windows updates ... now this.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:13 AM
  • Add my name to the ever-growing list! In the last few days Windows Live Messenger suddenly stopped notifying me of new emails and the number of unread emails remains fixed at what it was when I first logged on. Very annoying but it's comforting to know I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Also, a couple of weeks back I did receive some 'phantom' email notifications. When I went to the inbox there were no new emails (and nothing in the junk box either). Like somebody else here mentioned, I am concerned this could be some malicious attack.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  Zoe256 wrote:
    Me and my boyfriend have had a similar problem. The other day he got a pop-up notification from Live Messenger telling him he'd got an e-mail from someone (he didn't recognise the address) and he clicked it...but no email in his inbox. The same thing has happened to me today. (We both use different computers).

We are worried this might be some kind of hack or virus. Has anyone else experienced this? We're quite nervous about it lol

Same problems as everyone else it seems, re-installation has not cleared the problem and i haven't had a temporary 'fix' the last day or so as some of you have.  Lucky blighters!!  Has been happening for over a week now - the only alert i have received (without having to sign out and back in) was also from someone unknown to me (with this particular account i only had one allowable contact anyway).

Grrrrrrr
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Yeah, I have received the phantom email notification from an unknown sender as well... on was in freakin' Arabic!  Very worrisome.  Why hasn't a Microsoft representative addressed this problem yet?  These are the Microsoft forums!!

Who is a moderator, or the Admin around here?  We need some answers!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:12 PM
  •  

Nobody101 ... you were spot on about working only for a short time. This morning it's back being f'd up. At least, I had one computer working for a short time. Haven't tried the laptop but won't bother to test until this thing is repaired.

I'm about done with all MS products.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:32 PM
  • Hi

Maybe it is mail that is coming from addrasses that are in our Block Sender List?

Gal

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:01 PM
  •  

Well 24 hours on now and mine still seems to be working perfectly
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:20 PM
  • I am extremely pleased to write that for the last 3 hours my Live Messenger has been working. Hopefully it will work tomorrow too.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 8:12 PM
  • still having same problem

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:05 PM
  • I too am having the same problem. Any solutions would be excellent lol

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:13 PM
  • My Messenger is still working this morning. If I go to Hotmail to review my new mails, the Messenger Inbox unread mail number decreases as I read them. So far so good. Long may it last.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Yes, looks to be fixed.  For now!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:02 AM
  • Yep, as of this morning mine has started working again as normal. Would be nice if we could get an explanation but doesn't look like one will be forthcoming. I'd still like to know whether this and the 'phantom' email notifications are connected.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:20 AM
  • Mine has not worked all morning, and at this very moment there is one un-read e-mail in my account but messenger shows none and my live tool bar shows two.

Still waiting for mine to start working @ 11:38 am GMT

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Like some people have reported mine is back to normal as of sometime early this morning. And seems to have gone one better.

Previously when running Messenger alone...email notification was instant (as one expects) but when Messenger was running with the new Windows Live Mail Client (whilst logged in with the .net ID) email notification was delayed to sync with whatever the "Send and Receive" setting was enabled within options.

Now, whilst Windows Live Mail is running email notifcation is instant, regardless of time interval is set on "Send and Receive".

BLoodi Marvelous !!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:31 PM
  • I don't want to jinx it but mine has worked too....I've had it work for this amount of time before and then stop.....but it started working yesterday afternoon......granted I've only tried one account. I won't be shouting from rooftops until it's been a couple days, cause it's been too sporradic and inconsistent to feel overconfident right now LOL....but here's hoping...

funny thing is I sent my connectiviity log to them like they asked, but wouldn't give them access to my account. They sent an email back thanking me for my connectiviity log and I thought MAYBE they might let me know when they'd resolved the problem or what the problem had been...but no.

Oh well...

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:36 PM
  • I wouldn't like to jump the gun and say it's fixed, but as of this afternoon all appears well

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:53 PM
  • Both computers working this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed everything is repaired.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  

right now mine looks like it's fixed too! yey!
    Friday, February 1, 2008 12:49 AM
  • Mine worked all day yesterday and today (so far). Keeping my fingers crossed that they've found and remediated the problem and it won't come back!

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:31 PM
  • Mine still isn't working.  I had notification of 5 new emails, and when I looked in my inbox, I didn't have a single new email.  I signed out and signed back in and it didn't say I had any new email, but it still isn't updating on the fly like it should, or like it used to.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 5:55 PM
  •  

Well, I'm happy for all of you who have it working just fine now... mine is still unchanged.  Right now it says that I have 12 new emails in my Inbox, when the actual number is closer tooooo.... zero.

Hey Microsoft!  How about some ANSWERS??!!

Monday, February 4, 2008 7:30 PM
  •  

Well, better late than never - mine is working fine once again!  Woot!  Thanks for your participation in this frustrating thread, all.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 6:14 PM
  • mine worked fine for the past week.....it has however now reverted back to notifying me of new mail but not actually updating the # of messages I have again.  It looks like Stefflers message jinxed it Stick out tongue   I'm kidding...about the jinx part at least......  and another issue that seems to have arisen is mobile messaging no longer works. I constantly get a message saying "mobile messaging is temporarily unavailable"....been happening for about 2-3 weeks intermittently and now is happening all of the time....so it seems like one thing after another...anybody else experiencing this?

Friday, February 8, 2008 9:42 PM
  • Just this last week I have had several notifications of new messages into my hotmail account when there have been none. It looks from this thread as if this has been a problem for well over a month now - and it still ain't fixed. Have had my hotmail account for years without seeing this before. Any ideas out there?

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:53 PM
  •  

I don't believe this ... hotmail notification on my messenger is not working again. At least, I got 3 or 4 months of it working. Anyone else having problems?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:05 PM
  •  

Hello, old friend.   Yeah, mine's been PRETTY good for the last little while.  Sometimes it lags or shows emails that aren't there, but for the most part, it's acceptable, though NOT as perfect as it used to be.  However, today, I came in and had 10 new emails.... and all day, even after reading them, getting some more emails (no notification), reading them, getting some more.... it still reads (10).

*sigh*

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:49 PM
  • My Windows Live Messenger no longer shows the number of new emails nor the number of new Sharing Folders files. Help?

Sunday, May 18, 2008 12:06 AM
  • Kiaora all the way from New Zealand. Just wanted to ask if theres an actual solution to this problem rather than just lucking out over time... my messenger is still not showing the number of emails correctly, however my problems didn't start as early as some people. i've rather experienced the problem for the last month or so and ive eventually come round to googling the problem and coming here.

is everybodys working now? for those of you who dont have it working, are you running any other msn addons that could be messing with msn? cos i know some people download addons, could be effecting it right?
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:50 AM
  •  

Mine is working today.... right now.  That doesn't mean it will be working tomorrow, or later on today.  Sorry, Kiaora, but this thread hasn't produced any answers; it's more like a support group. Sad

Even though this is a Microsoft forum!   Shouldn't Microsoft people be monitoring and helping to solve this kind of buggy problem?!!!

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:21 PM
  •  

Mine has been doing this for several weeks and hasn't resolved itself at all. Also, the little star thing that is beside contacts (when information on them is updated, like their space) won't disappear until it automatically removes itself.

Also, the Live homepage isn't working properly for me anymore. It continually says "Loading... updating" or something like that.

I realize this thread is very old... but this problem still exists and it can't be a very big bug and shouldn't take much manpower to fix...

Thursday, May 29, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

oh sorry, name's Colin. Kia ora means hi in maori.

yeah kinda sucks i havent seen any solid solutions throughout. i wonder how many people are still having this problem and if there is any fix.... anybody, please! Stick out tongue

thanks

Monday, June 2, 2008 9:34 AM
  • I am having this problem - it says there are 8 messages when I log in, I go to hotmail, read them but my Windows Live Messenger still states I have 8.  Also I never get notified if new emails arrive.  This has been happening intermittently over the last 6 months I'd say. 

Does anyone know of a fix?

Monday, June 9, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  Stalliano wrote:

I am having this problem - it says there are 8 messages when I log in, I go to hotmail, read them but my Windows Live Messenger still states I have 8.  Also I never get notified if new emails arrive.  This has been happening intermittently over the last 6 months I'd say. 

Does anyone know of a fix?

Apparently, the Microsoft techs pretty much ignore problems in these forums.  I sent a couple of them a link to here, but I still haven't seen any movement.  Welcome to the Windows Live Messenger Email Issue Support Group though. 

Monday, June 9, 2008 2:13 PM
  • I'd just like to add my name to the list of people who have been experiencing this problem as well.
    It seems to have started right around the release of WINDOWS LIVE MAIL.  I was stupid enough to install it and try it out .....unfortunately, uninstalling it doesnt help either.  Does the same thing to me on other machines as well ...I suspect once they updated their server, they created a little bug ..which they cant resolve.  So it's all hush hush until they figure it out.  Give it a few months...then it's microsoft to the rescue.

I did however find a lame work around.  If you're using live mail, you can select a bunch of emails and
    mark them as unread. Then mark them as read again then sign out and sign back in again.

If you dont have live mail, and just use hotmail, mark a few as unread, then read through them (lame) and sign out and sign back in again. 

seems to fix it most of the time.

But like I said ....Lame

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:48 PM
  • I've had this problem for a while and, for what it's worth, I've found Microsoft to be very helpful about it.

Here is their latest reply...

Hello ,

This is Matt again with the Microsoft Global Escalations team. I have been informed by our product group that this is currently a known bug issue and it is being worked on by the developer team, unfortunately we have not been provided with an ETA on the resolution but I am glad to know the issue is being worked on and will be rolled out once completed.

Thanks,
    Mattv
    Microsoft Global Escalations

Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I am very pleased that this is being worked on.  I've had this problem on and off for a number of months now.  Got a client who is complaining about it today too.

* Daniel Rage looking for resolution roll out.  Thanks Mattv! 

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:06 PM
  • I'm looking forward to the fix as well. It's still happening.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:03 PM
  •  

Yes, for the record, it is still happening to me.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully trust my 'Number of Emails' again without logging in and checking.  Sad
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:18 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as everyone else, and I think I know what the problem is (at least on my computer).  When I first installed Vista a few months ago, I tried using Outlook 2007 to read my e-mails.  I decided I didn't like it and switched to using the desktop version of Windows Live Mail, which I now use exclusively.  Unfortunately, it seems that Windows Live Messenger still assumes I use Outlook and gets its "unread e-mails" information from it.  So if I have 5 new e-mails and go to Windows Live Mail and read 4 of them, WLM will still keep showing I have 5 e-mails.  But if I open Outlook, it realizes, "Oh, wait, Outlook shows that 4 of those have already been read" and resets the counter down to 1.  So if any of you maybe have Outlook set up to check your Hotmail, see if opening Outlook sets your counter to the right amount.

Unfortunately, I don't have any fix for this and it's still a pain in the behind, but maybe this will help some people to avoid going insane and help in researching the problem...
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:58 PM
  • That's not the root of the problem... at least, that's not how it happened to me.  I have never tried to connect my Outlook and my Hotmail emails.  Sad

Smile  But, welcome to the club!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Woah!  This thread started on JANUARY 8th, 2008...

We are at Mid October 2008... the year is going to end and this bug still survive?  Microsoft damn su...

I have this problem too since i've reinstalled my computer after a drive crash.  The only thing different is that Windows Live Mail.  I told my self: "Well, let's give it a try"...  my bad :-(. 

I hate when Microsoft is doing that kind of ____.  And worse, people seems to say that even if i uninstall it, it won't solve my problem.
    Christian
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Add me to the list.

Does it at home and at work.

Drives me nuts.

nuts.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:27 AM
  • Hi.

Add me to the list too. Been happening almost all year now. I have 2 machines and it does it on both. My current count says 11 new messages and I know I have no unread messages.

Harry

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Posted one day, fixed the next?

My email count seems to be working now. Live Messenger said I had 6 new emails this morning, and sure enough there were 6 new emails. As soon as I read/deleted them Messenger updated immediately.

Hopefully they have finally fixed it.

Cheers
    Harry
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:47 PM
  • Mine is currently fixed... just today, it started acting normal, yesterday it was still screwing up.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring? 
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I think many more people are affected than is shown here. I have only just thought about trying to find others affected.. I have 7 e mails , supposedly, not able to be received through hotmail... there are none in my inbox at hotmail....it is annoying and confusing..hopefully there will be a fix soon... If any one has heard of a fix please advise.....Thanks

Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:46 PM
  • Well add me to the ever growing list of upset users... i asked to be alerted for new replies to this forum... do you think at least that will work lol
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:58 AM
  • i have the same problem it started a few days ago

i see i have 4 emails then i read them then i delete them then msn messenger main window still shows the emails , i have to sign out and resign in then it shows no emails,,,,

so if anyone knows a fix please contact me thru www.dosgringoscr.com or my email jacohenry@hotmail.com ty
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:38 PM
  • same trouble here, it actually started today, and i can't seem to find an answer anywhere

Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:20 PM
  • I'm having the same problem as everyone else... it started a few days ago... and as everyone else here im anoyed!!  =s
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:31 AM
  • Same problem here , it's getting pretty annoying.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Wow, I can't believe this issue is still going on.  Almost a year and a half after I first posted it.

Absolutely shameful, Microsoft!!!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Hey guys,

Im joining this thread as Im experiencing the same issue, now it's have been for month for me! Tried MSN 8.1 and 8.5, uninstalling and upgrading, no luck at all.
    I cant believe this this thread has more than 1 year old without any fix!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:35 PM
  • +1. I'm joining the gang of frustrated users.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Hey guys,

I am currently using Windows Live Messenger 8.5 and im getting the same problem as mentioned above. I get no email notifications and the inbox icon doesn't update. Does anyone know if its a Microsoft problem or is it my messenger?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 9:16 PM
  • I am currently using WLM  2009 and I have the same problem. I never get notified if I get new mail and i can't receive offline messages from my contacts. I have to
    log out and log in to see my offline messages :(  hope they fix it soon....
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:52 PM
  • WOW.... after all the google searches, after all the yahoo answers, and contacting msn support, no one knew what was going on, and had any answers to my problem. It was amazing, how I would search and no one knew, I thought I was the only one with this problem, then I come here, and theres actually 2009 of this months problems with MSN.

I too, am having problems.. My email alerts are on, but it has stopped popping up in the lower right hand corner to tell me when I have new emails..

Also, when I read my email, it still stays at the same number on my msn telling me i Have 3 unread...

but the most annoying thing tho, is that it doesnt pop up and tell me when i have new email...
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Ops ..... I have the same problem. I hope is resolved soon.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:04 PM
  • I get the same problem... happened for the last few versions of Messenger here and there. Now using Version 2009. I just login to messenger, check my email (if there are any in the email count), if the count doesnt change afterwards, I just log out and back on in messenger and it fixes the count. A temporary solution I know, but its better than nothing. Seems like Messenger looses sync with hotmail or something.

Cheers,
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Add me to the list. It Started a almost 2 weeks ago, I though the problem was on my end so i cleaned WLM's cache and temporal files wich seems to work for almost all issues, and no results.

Mike Steffler's post was on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:47 PM ... it's been more than a year now, and it's like an epidemic dissease spreading worldwide.

Having same problems as EVERYONE :  email notification doesn't update, offline messages aren't received until next log on...

Hey Microsoft, problem is on YOUR end. It has been there more than a year now.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:04 AM
  • It started about 2 weeks ago for me too. I thought maybe it was a virus. i spent a lot of money to upgrade my antivirus protection and switched browsers a lot. :( guess i'll just have to ignore it. It's unbelievable how something that seems so insignificant can irritate the life out of you. I hate seeing that email notification.  sigh.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 10:49 PM
  • Hello,

I dont think we are getting too much attention here..and we need to get this solved.
    Does anyone know where we could submit this issue so they could realize there is a lot of people experiencing the same issue?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Hi, I've been having the same problem for about three weeks now and it's very annoying. Can't believe it's been happening for more than a year now. Would it work if we mention this problem on Twitter? maybe post on CNN or sth?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Hi all,

Just thought I'd let you know my experience with this... (hope this hasn't already been said, sorry if it has!)

I upgraded to the Messenger 2009 about a week ago on my xp laptop. Everything worked fine, the email notification always displayed the correct number and then nothing once all new emails had been read. Until I did the following!!!

Yesterday I decided to also upgrade on my 2nd PC an xp desktop. Once I'd done this I noticed this 'neat' (or so I thought) new feature how you can be signed in at both places at once. THEN I started getting this problem!

So I googled around and found you guys all having trouble. Then decided to try and force it to go back to 'the old way' where I can only be signed in at one place at a time. Hey presto, all is working ok now!!!!!!

I've only just tested but seems to be working now. Please don't flame me if this has already been discussed, but hope it helps some of you :)

Good luck
    Ramman
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Hi Ramma,n

I've always disabled that feature, since i began using 2009 Beta versions ( back in 2008 ) and my problem began 3 weeks ago. I checked it again, and it's disabled. But you may have a point, who knows...

Anyway, yesterday i was using the webcam feature (wich i rarely use), and it began to fail after a certain period of time.. after about 5 seconds the webcam connection fails. I think it may be related to the server problem. It's like the can't make a stable connection and the webcam fails. I did 4 times, and the 4 times the wecam only lasted about 5 seconds before it got disconnected.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Hi,

I also started having this problem recently. The problem is only happening when you enable MSN to be signed in at multiple locations, simultaneously.

I have temporarily fixed it so that I can recieve active e-mail updates without having to sign in and out of MSN to get the notification icon to update.

To temporarily fix it until Microsoft gets off their behinds, do the following:

- On the main screen of MSN, on the top, click Tools > Options
    - On the left, click on the Sign In tab
    - 'CHECK' the following box "Sign me out of all other places when I sign in to Messenger"

You won't be able to be signed in on 2+ locations, but you will be able to get your e-mail notifications once again.

Sorry I don't have a real fix, but thought this might be useful to anyone who was as annoyed as me.

Mark

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:24 PM
  • If it's a temp fix, then it's just a temp fix for MSN 9.0 versions and above.
    There are quite a lot of people experiencing the same issue with MSN 8.5 and 8.0 versions as well (me included.)
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Sorry that fix isn't working for me. And I'm using 9.0, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Same for me that fix isn't working for me either and I don't know what else to do. I thought it had something to do with viruses and stuff but it seems it's not. Hope microsoft has an answer for it real soon
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Issue still hasn't been fix!!! :@ it's really fustrating!

I've been experiencing this issue for months now..... :|
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Months?  LOL  Look at the original post... I've been dealing with it for a year and a half!

And I look at my Messenger right now... and see the little '4' in the email area... yet there are no unread messages in my Hotmail!  :O  What a shocker!

Microsoft, just admit defeat to Mac if you can't even deal with a minor problem like this.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:26 AM
  • I sign in, 5 emails pop-ups in the alert. I proceed to check my email, read all 5 so i come back to messenger. Email icon still reads 5... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:31 PM
  • EVERYONE GO HERE AND SEND THEM THIS LINK TO THIS FORUM THIS IS THE ONLY CHANCE WE ALL HAVE TO GET THIS FIXED ,,,

EVERYONE MUST SEND THEM A EMAIL USING THIS LINK >> https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlsync&ct=eformts 

AND INCLUDE THE ACTUAL FORUM LINK >> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wlmessengerdev/thread/18607058-69a6-4069-ab58-fc44fcd2ccd4/
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:50 PM
  • The email pop-up alert only works once when you sign in. But the msdn alert works 100% (The pop-up with the bell icon saying that there is a reply) ... but the icon still reads 5... when it should be 6 now. Why does that alert works and the email one doesn't, when they're kind of the same thing ( alerting new message recieved ) ? Maybe this supports the fact that is a server issue...
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:55 PM
  • YES TY FOR ANOTHER POST , WE ARE ALL  having the same problem , please read my last post and follow those instructions this is the only way anyone of us is going to get an answer that helps ,,,,,
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:19 PM
  • I really haven't done anything and it's WORKING RIGHT NOW !!! i don't know why but it's working !! i had no new emails, then the pop up alert said you received a new email from (<contact> ) and i go what the world! is working now! then i go to hotmail and read it, then the number 1 in the icon in messenger didn't mark any more new messages ! this is so great! i hope it keeps working =D.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:08 PM
  • I'm still stuck with the same problem I tried to do what gameplayguru proposed but, there's no message field, or email contact on that page.

It's getting pretty frustrating , even though is something so little like "email update" , it's annoying having to reset the whole messenger just to check any updates.

Also some messages from my contacts never arrived until I sign out, and the sign in again, anybody is having the same problem?

Everything was fine until that Windows Messenger Live 2009 update.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hey tako6565,

It seems we all have those problems, i noticed one no one mentioned here using the webcam, wich disconnected after 5 seconds.. it was more annoying than i don't know what. Right now everything's working flawlessly for me, i'm using the latest version of WLM, my problems began about a month ago, now it's fine. I didn't do anything, yesterday it wasn't working, now it is. I hope tomorrow still does...
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:30 PM
  • this is the actual link for support, http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=wl_sync&market=en-us#mh if not click on anything onthe left and then look to the right bottom it says " get more help'

also as of this morning its fixed !!!!
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 8:58 PM
  • ITS WORKING, THEY FIXED IT !!  and it only took a year !!!
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:01 PM
  • yes!! i'm glad i'm not the only one with the joy of having it working!!

You know something, i bet many people has the problem and hasn't notice it... I know why i say this... =p
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:03 PM
  • well this is depressing. hurray for you guys but mine is still busted. i did what gameguru suggested as well and even got a responding email, but so far nothing :(
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Guess what, it's not working anymore for me. WLM suddenly got disconnected, then it automatically sign in again. The it stopped working =(
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I'd like to suggest everyone use this link to make their report. I'm not too sure it will make a difference but hopefullyif you select live messenger and fill out the form we may get a resolution someday.

https://support.live.com/default.aspx

Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:56 PM
  • :( "someday" being the key word..
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:00 PM
  • iT WAS FIXED, FOR ONE DAY, NOW ITS BROKE AGAIN,,,,,  FRAK ME RUNNING !!

this is the actual link for email tech support for microcrap support, http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=wl_sync&market=en-us#mh if not click on anything on the left and then look to the right bottom CORNER it says " get more help' click that and email these idiots this exact forum address
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 1:59 PM
  • I just got this... sigh.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:15:05 AM

Hi AJ,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Cherlyn and I'll be glad to assist you with your concern.

I understand that you are unable to view the correct e-mail count in your Windows Live Messenger. I know this is inconvenient. Allow me to assist you.

I have checked your link and we are aware of this issue. We are currently investigating the cause of this concern. I would like to ask for your patience regarding matter and hopefully this will be resolve soon.

Should you have any other questions or if you need further assistance regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again by replying directly to this e-mail.

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Cherlyn

Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:30 PM
  • sorry gameplayguru, when i emailed throught the link you have above i got this response on friday. that's why i suggested everyone use the link i put above.

Hello A J,

Thank you for writing to Windows Live Sync. My name is Millette and I understand that the email icon in your Windows live Messenger would not properly display the number of new items in your email. I realize your cause for concern.

A J, to help you address this, I recommend that you directly contact Windows Live Messenger support team for assistance. You can go to https://support.live.com and click on the 'Windows Live Messenger' link from list. Click the 'Get more help' at the lower-right portion of the page where you will be redirected.

We appreciate your continued support as we strive to provide you with the highest quality service available. Thank you for using Windows Live Sync.

Sincerely,

Millette

Windows Live Sync Support

Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Hello,

I tried using that link to request support but for some reason when I click submit form then pages halts and nothing shows up, pretty odd.
    I tried from different browsers.

I hope your request would help us all to figure out this annoying issue.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:43 PM
  • I was able to submit the support request. They have replied in less than 2 hours saying they are trying to fix it, this looks promising!
    Monday, June 1, 2009 5:18 AM
  • When the fix is done, we'll celebrate upon.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:41 AM
  • I'll be there celebrating with all of you. :(
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 1:43 AM
  • kelpisun   what is the email link u used ?? im going to email them every 5 minutes until they fix it !!! lol

now we know why southpark blew away bill g in there movie !!!
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:48 PM
  • lets all see by a show of hands, who thinks microsoft blows moose ???

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:49 PM
  • lets all see by a show of hands, who thinks microsoft blows moose ???

Hahahahahahha!
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Hey Guys, I was thinking...

If the problems occur with certain email accounts, a temporal fix would be creating a new account and exporting all contacts from the old account, to import them to the new one. - This would be temporal -  ( If you didn't know, you can import/export contact list from messenger. In the menu bar select: "Contacts" > "save instant messaging contatcs..." you'll see the import option below. Maybe You all knew this, but you know, just saying...)

Maybe this is a stupid idea, I admit it, but it wont annoy us in the meanwhile... ( While the new accounts works normally )
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:42 AM
  • kelpisun   what is the email link u used ?? im going to email them every 5 minutes until they fix it !!! lol

now we know why southpark blew away bill g in there movie !!!
    Hahahhaha!
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Jaja can't believe there's still no answer from any microsoft rep!.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:51 AM
  • i've sent another email requesting feedback. i'll let you guys know if and when I get a response :)
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Of all the asinine responses!!!! all she said is i dunno and i can't tell u when. but i'll be happy to assist you...???? is it just me or is this just stupid... i mean if you can't fix my problem and you can't tell me when it will be fixed then what is the point of me 'contacting u for further assistance on this issue'? maybe i'm just cranky today but this is just pushing all the wrong buttons. I officially give up on this. i'm switching to yahoo. so there! lol.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 3:49:32 AM

Hi AJ,

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Cherlyn and I'll be glad to assist you with your concern.

I understand that you want to be updated on this issue so allow me to further assist you.

We are still under the investigation process so we still do not have a time frame when the issue will be resolved but to sure thing is that we are doing our best to restore this feature as soon as possible.

Should you have any other questions or if you need further assistance regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again by replying directly to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Cherlyn

Thursday, June 4, 2009 10:19 PM
  • So basically they don't know what it is.. or when is it gonna be fixed , but they are workig on it.... working on what?!

I'm really thinking about changing to yahoo messenger, making a new email account with yahoo is the only thing stopping me from that.

Yesterday I used a friend pc just in case the problem was indeed my computer. But it was the same, the email count not updating, and messages being delivered late . So the problem is on microsoft side, it's been already a month! , I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for those who have been having this problem for over a year.

I officialy hate windows messenger live 2009
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:55 PM
  • I'm starting to think, that my stupid idea about creating a new account and importing old contacts to it, will be the only way to stop this issue ... Webcam doesn't work properly ( though i don't use it very often ),late messages, email count not up to date... It's not funny =(
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:03 PM
  • :( I feel your pain.. and I refuse to create a new account just because microsoft can't keep up giving a descent service , or just because they stop caring about the service itself.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:12 PM
  • kelpysun what is the exact email addy you used, you need to publish it here right now so i and everyone else can send them emails !!!  this bullshit IS GETTING OUT OF HAND !

Monday, June 8, 2009 4:29 PM
  • This is absolutely ridiculous Microsoft, FFS do something its been over a year.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:24 AM
  • hey, it started working for me...!!!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:04 PM
  • :( Still not working .. and still no answer from tech support.

Thank you microsoft!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Hey Omipingo,

It did the same with me some days ago, but only worked as long as i was signed in. Suddenly my msgr got disconnected, i sign in back again and it didn't work anymore.

Has anybody here tried google talk? i herd it's pretty good.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:38 PM
  • kelpi its my 3 rd request for you to post the address of your tech support contact so we can all send a complaint ?? whats up ?? is it your own private info ?? or do you not want to resolve this ,,, share the email address just likei did !!! more then 1 squeeky wheel gets greased quicker
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:47 PM
  • actually it's like the second or third time i signin today and it's still working
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:19 AM
  • So basically they don't know what it is.. or when is it gonna be fixed , but they are workig on it.... working on what?!

I'm really thinking about changing to yahoo messenger, making a new email account with yahoo is the only thing stopping me from that.

Yesterday I used a friend pc just in case the problem was indeed my computer. But it was the same, the email count not updating, and messages being delivered late . So the problem is on microsoft side, it's been already a month! , I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for those who have been having this problem for over a year.

I officialy hate windows messenger live 2009

i'm with you on yahoo messenger ... let's see if they care or not if everyone of us leave live messenger for yahoo or googletalk!!!!  

over a year  and no solutionssss        ...SUCKKSSSSSS  BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:09 AM
  • ..Still with the same problem, has anyone received an answer from tech support? This is just ridiculous.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:48 PM
  • tako6565 , i have not heard anything further since my last post. I am also using my yahoo messenger now although i occasionally sign in to check my mail.

gameplayguru : if you had done as I suggested and used the link I posted above , I am quite certain you would have gotten the same useless responses I have.

For clarification, once you properly complete and submit the complaint form at the link I have posted below you will receive what i have fondly nicknamed
     "the id number of doom"
    Shortly thereafter you will receive an email verifying that they have indeed received your complaint and feeding you some atrocious garble stating that they apologise for the inconvenience. If you do not receive this email, I think you have made an error on the complaint form. this is not hard to do. it is very long and tiresome. If you are not using the link below you are not sending your complaint to the right dept, which may account for the lack of response.

I believe the only way to get a response from Microsoft is to follow the process and generate your own complaint ID.

I wish you luck.

the link below should lead to the proper eform for Live Messenger.

https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger&ct=eformts

the original link:

https://support.live.com/default.aspx  

Monday, June 15, 2009 11:15 PM
  • He guys do you think this might have a relation with the actual issue?
    http://messengersays.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5B410F7FD930829E!66455.entry

I just find it curious...
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Seems it got fixeddddddddddd, yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:04 PM
  • yea, i got two other notifications!!! :D

but, it's always working for a lil while and breaks down shortly after...let's hope this time it's fixed for good!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:07 PM
  • If you try to mark an email as read/unread you will see its getting refreshed on the WLM almost instantly, so this is a great improvement! finally :D
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:09 PM
  • you are absolutely right!!!
    same thing here...i really hope this is a permanent fix! ;)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Same here, I woke up and it's working just fine!, I really hope this is a permanent fix!.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:15 PM
  • It's working for me too !!!!! and it's different from previous times it did work for a small time. Those times it worked, had a small delay displaying the correct number off emails, now is perfectly synchronized !! I hope it's permanent! =D
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:41 PM
  • Woot! its working for me to :D
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:21 PM
  • It's still working !! Yeeeey !!!!!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:21 PM
  • too late, i'm using gmail now

its email notification program works fine and with gmail you don't get that annoying piece of spam on the botton of each mail you send

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:00 PM
  • you  guys at micro soft made me upgrade today not giving me a choice so i did now my husband and my inboxes are mixed up  he signs in and clicks on inbox he gets me i sign in and i get his inbox same with spaces its getting very annoying so if its not fixed soon we are switching to another provider  we have been with micro soft for  years with  out this and were mad  my email which you have on file from problems in the past redorcad@hotmail.com
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Hi guys, try this to fix the problem, (of not up to date e-mail numbers on Live messenger and synchronization issues)

1) Delete your E-mail account in Windows Live Mail.  Tools- Accounts - Remove 
    2) Recreate your e-mail account but don't fill in the servers addresses such as incoming Pop3.live.com  and outgoing smtp.live.com email but instead use the HTTP mail server.  The URL of this HTTP sever is : http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx
    (If you don't choose that you want to do it manually it is done automatically)

3) After these simple steps go to WLM - Tools -  Sync Everything

And you should have all folders (on your Web Hotmail) also on your WLM and as they are synchronized  the number of e-mails should be up to date...

I had the same problem , and it worked for me.

Cheers,

Timur
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:57 AM
  • After reading around the web, it seems this issue is related to NOT using IE as your default brower.

Guess what microsofts solution is?

100 points if you guessed "set Internet Explorer as your default browser"

Obviously MS knows how to fix this issue, they're just annoyed that they can't force everyone to use IE in Europe anymore so leave issues like this open.

I have to use both live messenger and firefox for my business and this issue is annoying as ____.

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:43 PM
  • I don't know if I believe that solution.  Have you tried it as a fix to see if it works?

Since I have believed this problem solved, I have been affected by it intermittently... but I'm not experiencing it right now, so I can't test that solution.

;) Not that I'd use THAT solution anyways....

Monday, April 12, 2010 6:46 PM
  • well i have something to propose here and in fact worked for me.

go to windows live messenger options ->uncheck notifications for incoming emails

then close windows live messenger

then open again

go to windows live messenger options ->check notifications for incoming emails

close windows live messenger again

then open it again.

i had constantly 1 incoming message shown on WLM and now i dont.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:02 AM
  • im still having the same issue it was only stuck at 2 and then a day ago it jumped up to 3 and i have no idea weather something is hiding from me or just an annoying glitch ..(im going with the glitch idea)  i have tried most of the "fixes" on this page with no luck :(.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Interesting that this Post was Started Back at the Start of 2008 !! -

I'm having the SAME PROBLEM !!!!

Its like the Irish Weather -- sometimes it Rains -sometimes it dosent !!!!

Sometimes WLM - E-mail in box ( notification ) lets me Know the Number of E-Mail Received ( Un-read ) And sometimes it Dosent -

Also ... sometimes the Pop-Up little Blue Box in the bottom RHS Corner ( do the call this a Toast ?) Works And Sometimes it Dosent

sorry id did not Read this Compleat Post --I read Down as far as Friday, June 27, 2008 10:48 PM

and jumped to the End... funnt Thing Is -- WLM - hotmail Noticifation ..was not working when i started to read the Thread --- BUT NOW IT IS !!!...it hasent been working for the LAST 2 DAYS ...

Interisting Stuff !!!!!.... Watch this Space ---I may be Back --- Outlook (Weather !!) " there may be Rain !!...

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:59 PM
  • having same problem. Happens off and on. Used to be i could login to hotmail.com in my browser and it'd make it go back to zero. but thats not even working now.

It says i have a new email. and shows the pop up alert everytime i login to messenger, and there is NOTHING IN MY INBOX.

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Three and a half years later, problem still exists. The funny part is -- I don't even use Hotmail!
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 10:21 PM