Documentation and Examples for multi-device setups RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully deployed many IoT Edge devices and I am really happy with the platform.

But moving to a setup where one device is central to a location, with several other devices sending messages to the central device, seems to be more tricky than first hoped for.

I need a setup that still works without Internet, so sending messages back and forth between cloud and device is a no-go.

I am looking at creating a gateway device, but the documentation for creating a gateway device seems very complex and requires a lot of certificate registrations and clumsy setup.

I need something much more simple, that is easy to test and develop, is that even possible without the certificate route?

Can you point to good examples/tutorials or cases that uses gateways in simple ways?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi N. J. Buch,

Glad that you are successfully achieving your objectives when using IoT Edge, thank you so much for sharing your feedback in advance!

Let me share the following docs with you and let us know if it helps you get started?

- Concept: How an IoT Edge device can be used as a gateway

- How-To: Configure an IoT Edge device to act as a transparent gateway

Happy coding :)!

Thursday, March 5, 2020 2:25 PM
  • Hello N. J. Buch,

Did we answer your question? If so can you please mark it as answer?

Thank you so much!

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer so that other customers can benefit from it.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 3:47 PM
  • No, as direct method calls between modules are currently not supported. Has diverted to other technologies.
    Friday, March 27, 2020 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry to hear that. I would love to help maintaining you using IoTEdge with alternatives to what you are trying to do at the moment. Please share more context and I will direct your questions to the right people.

In the meantime I would suggest that you check Azure IoT Edge Feedback Forum and confirm if the feature you request is already there and you voted for that. We prioritize new features based on the number of votes there.

Thank you so much for your time!

Friday, March 27, 2020 10:15 PM