none
What does it mean End of Life of Silverlight? Any alternatives from Microsoft?

Question

• As Microsoft announces end of Silverlight by 2012, I have some questions around this announcement - 

1. What are the eligible alternative technologies provided by Microsoft with in Microsoft Stack? And is there a migration strategy for existing silverlight application?

2. Will the current development environments - runtimes, IDEs for example .Net 4.6 or VS 2012 - 15 etc., support Silverlight development/bug fixes/patches after 2021?

3. What does Microsoft means by "End of Support". I assume the older versions of IE (IE8 to IE11) will still support Silverlight applications which are in production, Am I right?

Here is transcript from Wiki on end of Silverlight - 

"Microsoft announced the end of life of Silverlight 5 in 2012. In 2013, Microsoft announced that they had ceased development of Silverlight except for patches and bugfixes. Silverlight is no longer supported in Chrome on OS X, while support for Silverlight in Chrome on all other operating systems was disabled by default in April 2015 and was removed completely in September 2015. Microsoft has set the support end date for Silverlight 5 to be October 2021. In 2015, Microsoft announced that since support for ActiveX was discontinued with Microsoft Edge, Silverlight will not be supported in that browser"

• Edited by RamiV Friday, April 01, 2016 7:21 AM
    Friday, April 01, 2016 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hi RamiV,

Thanks for your posting on MSDN forum.

>>1. What are the eligible alternative technologies provided by Microsoft with in Microsoft Stack? And is there a migration strategy for existing silverlight application?

Now I don't get any information about whether they will provide a alternative technologies from Microsoft. And as far as I know, there has many developer that develop Silverlight application before are starting developing their application with HTML 5. I also think it is a good choice.

>>2. Will the current development environments - runtimes, IDEs for example .Net 4.6 or VS 2012 - 15 etc., support Silverlight development/bug fixes/patches after 2021?

>>3. What does Microsoft means by "End of Support". I assume the older versions of IE (IE8 to IE11) will still support Silverlight applications which are in production, Am I right?

This need to wait for the released version of Visual Studio and IE after 2021, since there has no any news about they won't support Silverlight or not.

So far, Microsoft just announces Silverlight will supported to 2021 and there doesn't have some news about alternative technologies and supported in Visual Studio and IE. I suggest you to wait for official announcements and I also anxiously awaiting. If I get any news, I will post the news here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by RamiV Monday, April 04, 2016 5:56 AM
    Friday, April 01, 2016 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi RamiV,

Thanks for your posting on MSDN forum.

>>1. What are the eligible alternative technologies provided by Microsoft with in Microsoft Stack? And is there a migration strategy for existing silverlight application?

Now I don't get any information about whether they will provide a alternative technologies from Microsoft. And as far as I know, there has many developer that develop Silverlight application before are starting developing their application with HTML 5. I also think it is a good choice.

>>2. Will the current development environments - runtimes, IDEs for example .Net 4.6 or VS 2012 - 15 etc., support Silverlight development/bug fixes/patches after 2021?

>>3. What does Microsoft means by "End of Support". I assume the older versions of IE (IE8 to IE11) will still support Silverlight applications which are in production, Am I right?

This need to wait for the released version of Visual Studio and IE after 2021, since there has no any news about they won't support Silverlight or not.

So far, Microsoft just announces Silverlight will supported to 2021 and there doesn't have some news about alternative technologies and supported in Visual Studio and IE. I suggest you to wait for official announcements and I also anxiously awaiting. If I get any news, I will post the news here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by RamiV Monday, April 04, 2016 5:56 AM
    Friday, April 01, 2016 8:56 AM
  • 1. What are the eligible alternative technologies provided by Microsoft with in Microsoft Stack?

I suppose maybe UWA qualifies but if you want richly interactive in a browser then the MS solution is asp.net with javascript frameworks. Using mvc will make use of html5 rather easier.

And is there a migration strategy for existing silverlight application?

Re-write.

I think MS decided to extend support to what seemed a very distant date ( at the time ) on the assumption that developers would then have plenty of time to re-write.

That doesn't really allow for developers deciding there is no viable alternative and just sticking with it.

2. Will the current development environments - runtimes, IDEs for example .Net 4.6 or VS 2012 - 15 etc., support Silverlight development/bug fixes/patches after 2021?

I wouldn't rely on it.

By then vs2012 will be long obsolete.

3. What does Microsoft means by "End of Support". I assume the older versions of IE (IE8 to IE11) will still support Silverlight applications which are in production, Am I right?

I'm not sure support for IE8 is still current.

Personally, I think the decision to deprecate Silverlight was a mistake.

OK, so the plans to be able to run in every browser on every machine turned out to be a bit optimistic.

I still think that the ability to run "proper" compiled code in a browser is very useful. I think Netflix, SKY etc reluctance to move from Silverlight is based on sound business reasons rather than just plain inertia.

I'd much rather see UWA smouldering on a back burner and Silverlight revived.  Silverlight is useful but UWA just doesn't do anything that WPF doesn't already do better for any business requirement I've encountered.

The current trend is for browsers to support less plug-ins. That could turn out to be just a fad. I think it would be extremely optimistic to rely on that though. Much more likely is that JavaScript and JavaScript frameworks will remain the way to go for some time. Then maybe someone else will come along with a compiled technology.

The general consensus is that Silverlight was a great technology but it's "dead" now and we developers ought to just move on.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Friday, April 01, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Personally, I've been looking for a replacement for our SL apps for a couple of years now and still haven't found anything that would allow for any kind of "migration". 

My opinion is that the people who made the decision to deprecate SL had no idea what it was being used for and how MS partners had been snookered into using it by MS management during the previous 6 years or so.  (Look up the game of "snooker" if you are unfamiliar with the reference)

Our application is an LOB enterprise administration application; it took us about 3-4 staff years to write it and we used SL because we needed it to work exactly the same in every browser and work very well with very large databases (RIA services). 

We are now looking for a replacement technology that Microsoft will not deprecate suddenly in another couple of years since we will need to do a complete rewrite of code that was designed well and runs really well, just because.  Sigh.

thanks, Rob Hutchison

Thursday, April 07, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Yes, it was probably a mistake by Microsoft to deprecate Silverlight, but that is nothing new from them.  My philosophy is a Microsoft solution is not a solution - it is the problem.  I look for non-Microsoft solutions first, and preferably non-proprietary.  If there is no other practical solution, then I fall back to Microsoft.  Too often, Microsoft is not Microsoft compatible. Visio 2016, for example, appears to trash an Office 2013 installation. 

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 9:29 PM