none
Customizing a PowerPivot slices - PowerPivot v2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

in a my workbook I'm trying to customize a slicer. I select the pivot table created and then I select the slicer to show the related properties. So I try to change the size of the box of the slicer values but when I select a value on another slicer the changes are lost. Also enlarge slicer and the related container seems hard. I can change the style (colour, font, ...) of a slicer but it seems impossible to resize it and the value box inside it. Obviously, I've tried to change the settings visible in the slicer properties.

Any suggests to me, please?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:59 PM

Answers

• from a functional point of view it does not make any difference wheter you use PowerPivot slicers or classic Excel slicers

if you need flexibility on layouting your slicers you should stick to classical Excel slicers

- www.pmOne.com -

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:05 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

We can customize the slicers and buttons in that slicers as follows. First my slicer is like this.

Now right click on slicer and select "size and properties" and changebutton height and width in layout section.

But they are not visible clearly, so go to 'size section' and check the box for "lock aspect ratio". Then you can manually drag the slicer sides to expand so that buttons /va;ues in slicers are visible.

=======================

Please mark as answer if helpful

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:50 AM
  • you may also use the standard pivot-table slicers instead of the PowerPivot-PivotTable slicers

PowerPivot-slicers are always placed left or above your PowerPivot-PivotTable whereas standard-slicers can be placed anywhere, even on other sheets

to add standard pivot-table slicers, simple select your pivot-table --> Pivot Table Tools Ribbon appears
    now go to Options --> Insert Slicer

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Dhanumjay,

the major difficulties are about reducing the button size (height and width): a second after I try to reduce f.e. the width, the button returns more large ...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, we are not able to reduce the button size using width.

But we can reduce the width using "Number of columns" option in "Size and Properties" section as I have shown above. We can increase number of columns so that width of buttons decrease.

=======================================

Please mark as answer if helpful

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Hi Gerhard, but does it delete (if it is possible) the container that contains the slicers?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:23 AM
  • yes, when using standard-slicer you do not have a container as you have for PowerPivot-Slicers

this allows you to set the position, width and height of each slicer individually

- www.pmOne.com -

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:43 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok, Gerhard, but if I want to use the PowerPivot slices, then is it possible to delete it? If yes, how?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:29 PM
  • delete what?

- www.pmOne.com -

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:33 PM
    Answerer
  • How what? The container of the PowerPivot slicer.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:39 PM
  • first you have to delete all slicers and once the container is empty, you can also delete the container

- www.pmOne.com -

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Gerhard, I'm supposing to use the PowerPivot slicers and not the classic Excel slicers.

Now, when I create a PowerPivot pivot table and specify measure and slicers, the vertical slicers are put inside a container and the horizontal slicers are put on another container. In order to customize simply the size of the slicers and the size of the buttons inside the slicers, a solution could be to delete the container that contains these slicers. F.e., I should delete the container of the horizontal slicers.

Well, you say that before deleting a container I must delete the contained slicers. If so, then I must recreate the slicers and I think these objects will be the classic slicers and not the PowerPivot slicers. This way it is absurd for me.

In a my old thread, it is talked about slicer deletion (without a final answer): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel/thread/cd262c1e-a058-49da-bf83-a69bcd2646d7/

Bye

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:21 PM
  • from a functional point of view it does not make any difference wheter you use PowerPivot slicers or classic Excel slicers

if you need flexibility on layouting your slicers you should stick to classical Excel slicers

- www.pmOne.com -

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Ok, I'm agree with you, but so I've some doubts about the utility of the PowerPivot slicers. It is enough to use the classic slicers, isn'it?

However, I'd like to know if it is possible to delete a slicers container without before deleting the contained slicers.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:10 PM
  • Pscorca,

Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, October 28, 2013 6:51 AM
    Owner
  • Hi 

Do you still has the issue? I have the same issue still ca not fix it. Please let me know if you solve the issue

Monday, June 22, 2020 12:53 AM