none
LoaderException on creating UML diagrams RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I get the following error message when trying to add any of the UML diagrams to a Modeling project in my VS 2010 beta 2.
    "Cannot load ... umldiagram: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information".

Any idea on how to resolve this, or how to view the LoaderExceptions propery ?

Note - I am able to create DGML's and layer diagram successfully, and my OS is Vista Enterprise Ed, x86. I reinstalled VSTS 2010 beta 2 (using repair option in setup), but that did not help.

Thanks!
    - Krishna
    Friday, November 27, 2009 5:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Finally, I could resolve this. I am not sure of the specific issue, but resolved it with the following steps:

a)  uninstalled Beta 2 using the Installer,

b)  removed all components related to VSTS 2010 and ADO.NET 1.5 CTP, using Add/Remove programs,

c)  manually deleted all folders related to 2010 from C:\program files, D:\program files, C:\windows\.Net\Framework\,

d)  reinstalled beta 2.

- Krishna

• Marked as answer by krissh1 Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Finally, I could resolve this. I am not sure of the specific issue, but resolved it with the following steps:

a)  uninstalled Beta 2 using the Installer,

b)  removed all components related to VSTS 2010 and ADO.NET 1.5 CTP, using Add/Remove programs,

c)  manually deleted all folders related to 2010 from C:\program files, D:\program files, C:\windows\.Net\Framework\,

d)  reinstalled beta 2.

- Krishna

• Marked as answer by krissh1 Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Hi Krishna.

I'm glad to hear that you got this worked out!  If it's OK, I'd like to follow-up in case there's something we've missed in our testing.

First, it looks like you uninstalled and reinstalled Beta 2.  Did you have another VS product (Beta 1 or one of the limited CTPs) installed on this machine previously or currently?  Also, did you have any installation options unchecked?

Second, it sounds like you have two logical drives on your machine.  Did you install to c: or d:?

Thanks.
    Phil
    Phil Lee | Program Manager | Visual Studio Architecture Tools
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for following up on this. Pls find below the environment details when the issue was happening -

Yes, I had Beta 1 initially installed on this machine. Before installing beta 2, I had removed Beta 1 (following all steps in the setup document published by Microsoft in the Beta 2 setup downloads page). I had installed Beta 2 onto my D: drive (C: drive is my primary drive). I opted for Custom installation (so that I could select D: drive as my installation folder), but I did not uncheck any of the options. I also had ADO.NET 1.5 CTP installed which was not removed.

Cheers,
    Krishna
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Hi Krishna.

Installing B2 on a machine with B1 previously installed was not well supported.  With some effort (like yours), some have been successful.  However, we generally recommend only installing on a clean machine.

Thanks for using the product!

Phil
    Phil Lee | Program Manager | Visual Studio Architecture Tools
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:24 PM