Can I use Azure Traffic manager to Geographical;y or Latency based load balance traffic to external sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two sites geographically dispersed in different states within Australia. They are not currently hosted in Azure
    I was considering using traffic maanger to loadbalance traffic between then.

Is this possible and if so what options are available?

Can I latency based load balance to them for example?

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Bob,

Thank you for posting on the Azure forums!

Do you intend to host your sites in 2 different regions or the same region (Azure datacenter). Before we get further I suggest you go through How Traffic Manager works if you have not already.

You can use latency routing using a Performance based routing method in your Traffic Manager profile. This would be of good use of the sites are placed in 2 different Azure datacenters. 'Performance' traffic-routing method determines the closest endpoint by measuring network latency. Traffic Manager maintains an Internet Latency Table to track the round-trip time between IP address ranges and each Azure datacenter.

If your profile contains multiple endpoints in the same Azure region, then Traffic Manager distributes traffic evenly across the available endpoints in that region. To use Traffic Manager in this scenario you can use a Nested profile. This would have a Parent profile and a couple of child profile (with similar or different Traffic routing methods). You can assign weights to the endpoints and include this as a child profile and make the parent profile as a Performance routing one. Refer to Controlling 'Performance' traffic routing between multiple endpoints in the same region for an example of this scenario.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Please feel free to post back here.

Regards,

Loydon

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer so that other customers can benefit from it.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Loydon,

The thing is my two sites are not hosted in Azure and they are in two states within Australia, Victoria and Sydney. So they would technically fall under the following regions

Australia East - New South Wales
    Australia Southeast -  Victoria

I like the idea of using Performance based routing. The question I need to answer is:

Can performance based routing be used for externally based hosts ( not within Azure )?

Many thanks.

• Edited by BobG2016 Friday, November 25, 2016 12:14 AM update
    Friday, November 25, 2016 12:03 AM
  • Hello,

Azure Traffic Manager works at the DNS level, it supports the sites hosted outside of Azure.

To use the Performance traffic routing method with external sites, please choose the Azure region close to your deployment, and specify the location of external sites.

More information about Traffic Manager traffic-routing methods, please check the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/traffic-manager/traffic-manager-routing-methods

Best Regards,
    Andy Liu 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 25, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Hello Bob,

This is possible using Azure Traffic Manager as well. You can either use PowerShell or a json template to specify the external endpoint domain names corresponding to an Azure region where the TM profile is created.

Please refer to the PowerShell script to Adding External Endpoints. For 'Performance' traffic-routing method is used, the 'EndpointLocation' is required. Otherwise it is optional. The value must be a valid Azure region name.

You can also refer to https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/tree/master/101-traffic-manager-external-endpoint for a template based deployment.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Loydon

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer so that other customers can benefit from it.

Friday, November 25, 2016 9:52 AM