Value does not fall within the expected range. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with using Silverlight 2 Beta on Visual Studio Standard 2008.

The installation seems to go fine no errors, however when I create a new Silverlight Project (Visual Basic) the designer shows the following error:

Value does not fall within the expected range.
       at System.Windows.Deployment.SetCurrentApplication(Application application)
       at MS.Internal.Silverlight.Host.SilverlightImageHost.get_Application()
       at MS.Internal.Silverlight.Host.CiderSilverlightImageHost.CiderInternalImage..ctor(CiderSilverlightImageHost host)
       at MS.Internal.Silverlight.Host.CiderSilverlightImageHost.CreateImage()
       at MS.Internal.Silverlight.Host.SilverlightImageHost..ctor(Interop interop)
       at MS.Internal.Silverlight.Host.CiderSilverlightImageHost..ctor(Interop interop, ISilverlightContentDownloadCallback callback)
       at MS.Internal.Designer.SilverlightViewManager.get_SilverlightView()
       at MS.Internal.Designer.SilverlightViewManager.Update()
       at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Documents.MarkupDocumentManager.get_View()
       at MS.Internal.Host.Designer.get_View()
       at MS.Internal.Designer.VSDesigner.Load()
       at MS.Internal.Designer.VSIsolatedDesigner.VSIsolatedView.Load()
       at MS.Internal.Designer.VSIsolatedDesigner.VSIsolatedDesignerFactory.Load(IsolatedView view)
       at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedDesigner.BootstrapProxy.LoadDesigner(IsolatedDesignerFactory factory, IsolatedView view)
       at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedDesigner.BootstrapProxy.LoadDesigner(IsolatedDesignerFactory factory, IsolatedView view)
       at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedDesigner.Load()
       at MS.Internal.Designer.DesignerPane.LoadDesignerView()

I can type into the XAML Pane control information and even compile and run the project, so only the designer seems to be affected, however this is limiting my ability to create simple examples and learn how to use Silverlight.

Anyone got any ideas what the cause may be, tried re-installing using the silverlight_chainer.exe multiple times, all installs work however the designer problem still persists.

Thanks in advance if anyone can figure out why this is happening and a solution to resolve it!

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:41 AM

Answers

• Hello, there're some known issues with Visual Studio Designer that our Visual Studio Cider team is working on. Currently if you want to learn how to programming Silverlight applications, I suggest you to manually type XAML. This is a very important skill for a Silverlight developer. Also the first priority of our Visual Studio Cider team is to improve the coding experience. If you're a designer and want to learn how to design user interface, I suggest you to use Expression Blend 2.5 June Preview. It has much more design features than Visual Studio Designer, but lacking code assistance.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hello, there're some known issues with Visual Studio Designer that our Visual Studio Cider team is working on. Currently if you want to learn how to programming Silverlight applications, I suggest you to manually type XAML. This is a very important skill for a Silverlight developer. Also the first priority of our Visual Studio Cider team is to improve the coding experience. If you're a designer and want to learn how to design user interface, I suggest you to use Expression Blend 2.5 June Preview. It has much more design features than Visual Studio Designer, but lacking code assistance.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 5:36 AM

I thought it might be an issue with the designer "Cider", at least this is a known issue will use the Expression Blend instead as suggested, I guess I am still thinking like a developer with Silverlight I have to also think like a designer too now! Just so used to using Visual Studio alone for application development this issue will give me experience of using Expression so in a way it will be a help. Thanks for your reply it has been helpful.  

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:07 AM