none
Windows Update (offline) error. Unable to install any cumulative security packages after KB4537820. Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes RRS feed

• Question

• I have been installing (offline) all cumulative security updates in a Windows Server 2008 R2. 

There has been an error after installing KB4537820. Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes. Since then, the system is unable to install any other cumulative package showing the same error:

- System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient 
       [ Guid]  {945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658} 

EventID 20 

Version 0 

Level 2 

Task 1 

Opcode 13 

Keywords 0x8000000000000028 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2021-05-12T10:44:22.052536700Z 

EventRecordID 4822653 

Correlation 

- Execution 

[ ProcessID]  1000 
       [ ThreadID]  4768 

Channel System 

Computer IP_CAU_ATL.intranet.com

- Security 

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18 

- EventData 

errorCode 0x80070661 
      updateTitle Security Update for Windows (KB4537820) 
      updateGuid {10D6B18F-7279-4B25-9EC7-FBC4B07D9BAC} 
      updateRevisionNumber 501 

Would you help, please?

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hey,

You must install the updates & restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues when installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security patches.

To obtain the standalone package for this SSU, look for it in the Microsoft Catalog. This update is required to install that are SHA-2 signed only.

For more information on SHA-2 updates, see the 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support Requirement for Windows and WSUS.
    To obtain the standalone package for the ESU license preparation package, look for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.

After installing the above items, Microsoft strongly recommends that you install the latest version of the ESU (KB4570673). If you are Windows Update, the SSU will be given automatically if you are an ESU customer.

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 12:26 PM
  • What's the Windows version?
    Wednesday, May 19, 2021 6:17 AM
  • HI, Update errors can occur if there is a corruption in the update file. You can also update it offline by downloading the update directly from Microsoft Update Catalog and save it on a flash drive as a .exe file. Refer to this article on how you can download the update from the catalog.

Thank you

Thursday, May 20, 2021 3:53 AM
  • Hey,

Thank you very much for your response. I installed 

KB4474419
    KB4490628

but did not obtained the standalone package for this SSU. 

I am going to download, install, reboot it and try cumulative updates

Thanks a lot.

Friday, May 21, 2021 7:25 AM
  • This is a Windows Server 2008 R2.

Regards,

Friday, May 21, 2021 7:26 AM
  • Thank you
    Friday, May 21, 2021 7:26 AM
  • how to handle this problem as well
    Tuesday, May 25, 2021 7:58 AM
  • 5 Ways to fix-

1. For VM users: Replace with a newer VM
    I often have older VMs pre-configured with a lot of custom tweaks, installed applications, and other elements. As such, it's often rather time-consuming to start from a fresh Windows image. But if you're able to, rather than going through the effort to update a version of Windows that was originally installed in 2016 or 2017, start with a fresh Windows image that has the October 2018 update already installed.

2. Restart and try running Windows Update again
    In reviewing this post with Ed, he told me that the most common cause of those "Update failed" messages is that there are two updates waiting. If one is a servicing stack update, it has to install first, and the machine has to restart before it can install the next update. Problem solved. 

A good read on this is Liam Tung's piece, Windows update problems: Microsoft reveals why recent patches broke some PCs. Even though it talks about some Windows 7 update issues, the underlying principle is the same.

3. Try Windows Update Troubleshooter
    Microsoft actually ships Windows 10 with a Windows Update troubleshooting tool. I find the easiest way to reach it is simply type "troubleshoot" in the search box.

Because I'm working on an older revision of Windows 10, the screen above is shown. If your Windows 10 is from a more recent update, you'll see the following screen, which you can also reach by  going to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooting.

This will bring up the full Troubleshooting panel. You'll want to select "Fix problems with Windows Update." This will bring up the Windows Update troubleshooter. I didn't feel I needed to use Advanced options, so I just hit Next. That said, Ed recommends taking the extra minute and using Advanced Options. He says, "That runs the troubleshooter as an admin and allows it to fix a wider range of problems."
    Let's solve some problems!
    After a relatively short time, Windows reported it had found and fixed the problem.

There's a nice surprise. It's fixed.
    Of course, it's never a good idea to simply take Windows' word for anything like this, so I went back into Windows Update and ran it again.

After a few hours, I had my result. The update that previously failed had completed properly and my system was fully up to date.

Oh, now that's nice!
    4. Pause updates
    Here's an interesting trick that's a big counter-intuitive. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and hit the Advanced Options button. Assuming you're at a relatively recent version of Windows 10, you'll see this screen:

Pause updates clears the already-downloaded update cache.
    Slide the Pause Updates switch on. Restart your machine. Then, once the machine is booted up fully, go back to that screen and slide the Pause Updates switch back to Off. 

If you tell Windows to pause updates, you'll clear all of the downloaded updates. Go ahead and try Windows Update again. Hopefully it will work. This is way easier (and less stressful) than deleting the SoftwareDistribution directory from your Windows directory, which is my next suggestion.

5. Delete the SoftwareDistribution directory
    I have to say that this was a surprise. Most of the time, when I've had difficulty getting Windows Update to work, it's taken hours or days, and I've had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it done.

If the troubleshooter doesn't work, a good first start is to simply clear away the old update files. To do this, first restart your machine in Safe Mode. It is possible to clear the Windows Update files by stopping the Windows Update service, but I've found it's just a much more reliable experience to make sure nothing's running in the background, so I go straight for Safe Mode.

Run Safe Mode.
    From there, open File Explorer, navigate to the Windows folder, and delete the folder called SoftwareDistribution.

If you're not nervous doing this, you're not human.
    Alternatively, you can type RMDIR /S/Q at a command prompt, which recurses throughout the entire subdirectory and deletes the appropriate update files without requiring additional confirming prompts.

At this point, go ahead and restart your machine and try the update again. If you disabled the Windows Update service, remember to turn it on before attempting your update.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

Monday, August 22, 2022 7:09 AM
  • Your comment was really helpful and helped fix my issue as well.
    Friday, October 21, 2022 9:56 AM