none
Visual Studio 2013 U1 Lightswitch - March 2014 Project-Upgrade fails RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 U1 for Lightswitch development.

The current project (Desktop 2-Tier, VB) can be compiled without warnings and errors and runs without problems.

I tried to upgrade this project but even after 10 Minutes (i tried 60 minutes too), no upgrade report is displayed. I checked with procmon if something is done (read write in Project Folder and %temp%), and yes, about 3 minutes Visual Studio is working on it. After no response and no loading indication i can save the project.

No Upgradelog is generated.

Another Project (HTML, VB) upgraded without problems.

When i try open the new sln directly i get following error message: *.lsxtproj cannot be opened because its project type (.lsxtproj) is not supported by this version of the application

When i open the project through the Visual Studio Startpage (Recent project) it loads, but still offers the Upgrade option. When i try to upgrade again, following message appears:

The process cannot access the file '*.lsxtproj' because it is being used by another process.

This whole procedure occurs on 3 PCs (Main dev machine, and 2 Hyper-Vs (each fresh VS 2013 installs, one without U1))

thank you in advance

Update 1:

I checked with the Process Explorer the file handles, after 10 minutes, devenv.exe has still 2 filehandles open in %temp%, e.g.: vbc207CE4963E584EFC9B886F3423DFFBC1.TMP about 45 an 50 MB big.

Update 2:

I tried to delete all Screens, Datasources and Extensions, after that i rebuild and clean, same behaviour again (no error message, report, just the file handles and a file named "DalMeasurementFile2.log" in %temp% that gets updated every minute)

Update 2.5: ok, these files also exists outside of the upgrade-process

Update 3:

Even when deleting all Items (listed above) i get an error when im cleaning the project:

Error: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: logger

but when i rebuild the project first and then clean the project, no error is shown

Friday, March 14, 2014 10:25 AM

All replies

• I had some errors when upgrading a project to March 2014 version. Based on someone's earlier post here the upgrade succeeded when I explicitly ran VS in admin mode.

Paul

Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:35 PM
  • thank you for the hint, tried to upgrade in admin mode, still no luck :(

also tried to move to a different directory (possible 255 char filesystem limitation)...

Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:51 PM
  • isn't there another log or "pre-log" i can check that is created during upgrade?

best regards

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:47 AM
  • Dude, have you found an answer to your question.

I have the same issue as you described. the same error too. this happens after upgrade the Visual Studio.

please let me know.

Thank you

Monday, April 21, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Do you only have this problem while upgrading? I can't even create a new Lightswitch project with VS Ultimate 2013 Update 2 RC.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:06 PM
  • I'm getting the same too. I'm not sure whether it's a combination of upgrading a LS project to use the new version of the tools, or putting update 2 RC on, or both!

I've uninstalled VS2013, as well as anything that may be connected to VS2013, and even after a re-install I still get the same issue. I also now get a message saying I need to install SQL Server Data Tools when I try to put the March update back on, but this doesn't appear to be a standalone product any more, and I've installed everything I can in VS2013 Professional.

At this point I'm about ready to wipe the machine and start again! :(

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Same Error here... MS Team, has no Resolution for this issue???

I have a project with a lot of Screens, and not working project...

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:47 PM
  • I had this problem when I installed SSDT 2014.

Uninstall everything to do with SSDT 2014 (sort the installed programs list by date and uninstall everything SQL Server or Visual Studio that was installed on the same day as SSDT 2014).

I then uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio 2013 (and Update 1) but a repair may suffice.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

• Proposed as answer by xrayj Friday, May 9, 2014 2:39 PM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 10:21 AM
  • I had this problem when I installed SSDT 2014.

Uninstall everything to do with SSDT 2014 (sort the installed programs list by date and uninstall everything SQL Server or Visual Studio that was installed on the same day as SSDT 2014).

I then uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio 2013 (and Update 1) but a repair may suffice.

Simon Jones
    If you found this post helpful, please "Vote as Helpful". If it actually answered your question, please remember to "Mark as Answer". This will help other people find answers to their problems more quickly.

Last week, I bought a couple new SSDs, so I did a brand new install of everything like this:

Win8.1 pro > iis > vs2013 ult (selected all features) > ran all ms updates from control panel and updates from vs environ and rebooted > sql 2014 > ran updates and rebooted > then tried to create a new Lightswitch project, and got the same error dialog as shown in the above post > finally read this post and tried the Repair, instead of doing an Uninstall and Reinstall > Repair didn't help > so tried Uninstalling by mounting the vs iso but an error was thrown during the uninstall process > so went to Control Panel > Uninstall programs > Uninstalled without error > Did the full reinstall and a Update1, but still getting the LightSwitch error upon trying to create a new LightSwitch project, bummer

• Proposed as answer by M.Ghannaj Tuesday, April 29, 2014 7:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:28 PM
  • I had this identical issue and I can confirm uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools - enu 12.0.40403.0 and Microsoft Server Data Tools Build Utilities - enu 12.0.40403.0 resolved the issue. I did not reinstall VS 2013U1. I was just able to create a new LS 2013 project once the uninstall was complete. I appreciate the info Simon.

Friday, May 9, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Just so everyone knows, we are aware of this issue and are addressing it.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

Friday, May 9, 2014 6:50 PM
  • That problem (inability to create a new Lightswitch application after upgrading SSDT to the version that allows targeting of SQL Server 2014) is solved in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2.  Apply Update 2 and this should be resolved.

I don't know whether or not Update 2 resolves the other problems noted in this thread - however, I had the same problem noted by Robin Adam 76 and installing Update 2 resolved that problem.

• Proposed as answer by Mikeyyyy Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:40 PM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:37 PM
  • That problem (inability to create a new Lightswitch application after upgrading SSDT to the version that allows targeting of SQL Server 2014) is solved in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2.  Apply Update 2 and this should be resolved.

I don't know whether or not Update 2 resolves the other problems noted in this thread - however, I had the same problem noted by Robin Adam 76 and installing Update 2 resolved that problem.

This is the real answer. I figured Microsoft has a bunch of great engineers and would realize the technical problem, and would eventually come out with an update to resolve. So I waited for VS 2013 Update 2 to show, ran it, and it worked great. One side effect was that it deleted my Database connection that I had setup inside of the IDE under the Server Explorer window, but that was no biggie to me to recreate.

So again, I did not do any of the suggested workarounds to uninstall and reinstall.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Any news on a real fix for this problem ?
    I have Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 installed.
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:21 PM
  • LightSwitch Team,

Is this issue fixed? I have Visual Studio 2013 update 4 RC. I am still facing the issue. I have freshly got the VS2013 and installed, later upgraded to update 4 as the system notifies me. Kindly let me know whether this issue has been solved or is it still under investigation. To put it simple, i want to create a new LightSwitch HTML app and i am using windows 7 64 bit OS

Thanks and Regards,

Regards,
    Funshuk

Monday, November 10, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Team,

I am looking for some urgent help on this. I have repaired my visual studio 2013 many times and yet it yields no result. I just want to understand is it possible to create a new lightswitch app with VS2013 or not? I have the latest update of Visual Studio 2013 with framework 4.5.1 installed in it.

Really helpful if some one help us on the same.

Regards,
    Funshuk

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Has this been resolved?  I am using vs2013U4 and am getting this error when trying to update a project.

Scott

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 5:14 PM
  • I realize it is 2016 and VS 2015 has been out for awhile, but this issue still persists with VS 2013 and some of us use BOTH Lightswtich and SSDT.

History:
    I have Visual Studio 2013, and 2015 installed side-by-side.
    I develop using both SSDT and Lightswitch. Our corporate work environment is still setup with VS 2013.
    Until June 2016, Lightswitch and SSDT worked fine together.
    At some point in June 2016 I applied:
    the latest Office Developer Toolkit Update 12.0.40814,
    the lastest SSDT tools 12.0.60629,
    and VS Update 4 and 5 (12.0.40629.00).

I applied those in a random, confused order. I had also applied some earlier updates to Office Developer and SSDT first.
    However, those were the latest patches I applied before trying to create a new Lightswtich project which I had not attempted for about a month.

At some point during the various updates, Lightswitch in VS 2013 became unable to create a new project, yielding the '...lsxproj cannot be opened because its project type (.lsxproj) is not supported by this version of the application' error.

Fix:
    Following the most popular advice, I uninstalled any SSDT related item from Control Panel.
    To be clear, I had SSDT installs going all the way back to VS 2010 and VS 2012!

After uninstall and reboot, VS 2013 still could not create a Lightswitch Project.
    I applied VS2013 Update 5 in 'Repair' mode.
    Viola! Lightswitch works as expected.

I then applied the 2016-06-29 SSDT updates: 12.0.60629 and 14.0.60629 to VS 2013 and VS 2015 respectively.
    Lightswitch still works as expected!

Condolences:
    My sympathies for everyone's frustration. There is no clear description of which combinations of updates, install order will break Lightswitch, but be assured it is repairable and you will be able to use both LS and SSDT in VS 2013.
    • Proposed as answer by rprasad79 Friday, April 12, 2019 3:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rprasad79 Friday, April 12, 2019 3:36 PM
    • Proposed as answer by rprasad79 Friday, April 12, 2019 3:40 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2016 6:58 PM
  • Cleaning this thread as this no longer make sense. Those who are still using LightSwitch sorry that we didn't get any real answer from MS and all the workarounds explained here is also not sure of solving the issue. If it doesn't make sense, we can close this thread

Thanks a lot.

• Proposed as answer by rprasad79 Friday, April 12, 2019 3:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by rprasad79 Friday, April 12, 2019 3:39 PM
    • Edited by rprasad79 Friday, April 12, 2019 3:39 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 3:38 PM