none
Cannot schedule initial offline backup due to error message about missing Azure PowerShell - even though I've installed it. RRS feed

• Question

• Opened MARS Agent to do an initial offline seeding backup.

After entering:

- folders to backup,
    - schedule,
    - retention (defaults),
    - and then staging location, storage account, etc
    tried to go to next page, and saw error message that MARS Agent could not find Azure Powershell.

Error message gave a MS website to obtain this from but it redirected to a MS page with nothing relevant.

Googled this one:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/powershell/azure/install-az-ps?view=azps-2.6.0

which instructed to:

1. Open Windows Powershell (subsequently found it was necessary to do this as Administrator)

2. Run: Install-Module -Name Az -AllowClobber -Scope CurrentUser (note that this is just for current user).

Website warned about "untrusted repository" messages; to which the answer should be Y to proceed.

Ran the above, but this resulted in error demanding that NuGet provider be installed first.

Did this via:

Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -MinimumVersion 2.8.5.201 -Force

which I assume worked (after accepting source not trusted) because returned to command prompt.

Then ran the Azure Powershell install command again, and answer Y to "untrusted repository" again.

Seemed to work but, on retry of setting up scheduling, it failed with same error. So restarted computer.

Tried to install Azure Powershell again, but this time got error about missing part of path

C:\Users\myusername\OneDrive\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Az.Accounts\1.6.1'

(and in File Explorer, there is no WindowsPowerShell folder under OneDrive\Documents).

Thinking that the issue might be due to installing only as current user, tried:

Install-Module -Name Az -AllowClobber -Scope AllUsers

which seemed to be running fine (flashing text in green panel at top of Windows PowerShell window).

Execution seemed to complete normally. (Just returned to command prompt with no error message).

MARS Agent was already open so tried to complete the config but got same error, so reboot.

Tried to use MARS Agent again to schedule the initial offline backup, with the same error message result, and with immense frustration at over 2 hours spent doing what probably should have taken only 15min.

Please help! :)

Monday, September 23, 2019 10:12 AM

All replies

• Sorry for the inconvenience caused! Hope you checked the prerequisites section from this link - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-backup-import-export#prerequisites if everything is followed as described and despite that if you're hitting the road block then there is something to look at. I would appreciate if you could share error message screenshot for us to better understand the issue and provide suggestions accordingly.
    Monday, September 23, 2019 1:19 PM
  • Thanks for your response SadiqhAhmed.

Error message (when clicked to go to next section after specifying staging location etc):

Could you also please tell me why BitLocker is needed. From reading the Azure web pages it appears that I:

1. create the backup file in the staging location on the computer ("source computer") where the folders/files that are to be backed up exist;
    2. copy the backup from the "source computer" to another computer (the "copy computer") that has BitLocker turned on;
    3. copy the backup from the "copy computer" to the portable SSD to be used for transfer.

I had some issues with BitLocker on a Dell laptop. I didn't think I had turned BitLocker on but, after a long period of not using the laptop, I started it and was prompted for a BitLocker code. Fortunately I found the code via my Microsoft account. But it left me nervous about using BitLocker due to the risk of losing access to critical files.

So:

1. why is BitLocker needed for offline Azure Backup?
    2. does BitLocker have to be turned on separately for the portable SSD too?
    3. is there any alternative? e.g. is it possible to just turn BitLocker on for the portable SSD (without having a "copy computer" that has BitLocker turned on)?

Also:

1. I have two computers to be backed up to Azure via the offline method. If I create a separate offline backup file for each, can I transfer both files to the Azure data centre at the same on the one portable SSD?
    2. How will the backups from the two computers be keep separate in the Azure account? Do I need to put them in different Resource Groups and/or Recovery Services Vaults and/or Storage Accounts?

Apologies for all the questions. I have spent a lot of time reading the online Azure doco but was still unclear on the above.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 3:59 AM
  •  

1. why is BitLocker needed for offline Azure Backup?

Because bitlocker is used to encrypt the SSD drive so it cannot be unlocked by unauthorized personnel.

1. does BitLocker have to be turned on separately for the portable SSD too?

Yes

1. is there any alternative? e.g. is it possible to just turn BitLocker on for the portable SSD (without having a "copy computer" that has BitLocker turned on)?

There is an automation process for copying data to the SSD which relies on bitlocker being enabled on the copy computer. There is no alternative.

1. I have two computers to be backed up to Azure via the offline method. If I create a separate offline backup file for each, can I transfer both files to the Azure data centre at the same on the one portable SSD?

Yes, as long as the same Offline backup details are provided for configuring the initial backups.

1. How will the backups from the two computers be keep separate in the Azure account? Do I need to put them in different Resource Groups and/or Recovery Services Vaults and/or Storage Accounts?

All backups are encrypted at rest and can only be decrypted with the encryption passphrase that is unique to a server. So its not like the backups of another server are visible or accessible even though they might be in the same vault. The offline backups can therefore go to the same storage account. Azure Backup then copies these backups securely to a recovery services vault.  

Important: If you're trying Offline Backup for the first time, we recommend using Azure Data Box instead. Much cleaner, robust and integrated process. Let me know if you're interested in the Limited preview of Azure Data Box by filling up this sign-up form. https://forms.microsoft.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR9Xf3c44twZKtgcilg1x1slURFRJSVRCWUIxTUJMNDZZUEhHRzFJUktWMC4u

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 1:43 PM
  • Thanks SadiqhAhmed.

I have filled in the form for Azure Data Box preview.

I answered no the last question (have you used the offline seeding method?) because, although I tried to use it, I didn't get past the scheduling step.

• Edited by JezPerth Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:26 AM
    Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Thanks for filling up the form. Hope, I answered your questions in the previous post. If that post was helpful, please "mark as answer" so that it will help other community members looking for the similar information.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Thanks SadiqhAhmed.

Your answers were very helpful.

I am looking forward to being contacted about using Azure Data Box so that I can get the offline backup done asap.

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 1:12 AM
  • Hello SadiqhAhmed.

I filled in the form for Azure Data Box nearly three weeks ago and I am yet to hear from anyone at Microsoft about this.

I first tried to set up Azure Backup in July (and had communications with you then about problems with initial backup over the internet) - so it's now been four months and I still haven't succeeded in establishing Azure Backup.

As you can imagine, this leaves me quite concerned, and also leaves me wondering what to say to clients who may ask me about using Azure Backup.

I'm a long-time Microsoft supporter and Microsoft developer, and I really hope you can help me get this established ASAP. Please!

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:05 AM
  • Could you please share the following details over an email @ AzCommunity [at] Microsoft dot com so that I can put a word to the product team to reach out to you. 

Email subject: ATTN: Sadiqh| Offline backup

Details required:

1. Email address for the product team to reach out to you

2. Organization name

3. Preferred time for discussion

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:45 AM
  • Thanks for your assistance Sadiqh.

I have just sent the email as requested.

I will close this thread (again) when resolved.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:51 AM