none
Unable to open sln file : Choose the application to open this file with : Empty list RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to open sln file in Visual Studio Ultimate 2013. It asks to choose the application to open this file with, which has an empty list. I have already set it toopen with Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector.
    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Deepal,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I reproduced the situation you described successfully. The Visual Studio 2013 is not  shown in the " open with " List after set it in the Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector. Please see my screenshot after the change, the VS 2013 option doesn't show up:

Could you please tell us if there is any other VS version installed on your machine? Or if I misunderstand your question, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

Have you installed the other version of visual studio?

If the project is created in the earlier version of visual studio, please have a look at the thread: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19513306/how-to-force-a-solution-file-sln-to-be-opened-in-visual-studio-2013

If you open the project from visual studio 2013(File->open->project), Is there any issue about it?

>>I have already set it toopen with Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector.

Press Win+I to open the Settings app and select System. Next, scroll down to Default Apps in the left pane and click on it, choose default app by file type.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 10:20 AM
  • I just had this happen to me, today.

When I tried to open the .sln directly in VS2019, I got an error telling me that VS2019 had not been fully installed, and I needed to rerun the installer. This was the first time I'd run VS2019 since updating to Windows 1909, and I expect that's why this happened.

In any case, you can see this behavior if the selected version of VS won't run.

Fixing VS will make it go away.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 3:13 PM