Great News from Telerik - Telerik goodness comes to Lightswitch! RRS feed

• General discussion

• It my honor to share the Telerik offerings along side LS launch.

The Telerik offering targets professional Silverlight developers, who are familiar with Visual Studio and who plan to use LightSwitch extensively to create LoB apps, but need to extend the default LS screens with rich charts, gauges, grids, and editing capabilities.

Telerik's offering does not require additional installation (other than RadControls for Silverlight) and is composed of several hands-on-labs (details and projects) on how to use our Silverlight controls in LightSwitch.

Reporting is also in our plans - we are researching the implementation of a LightSwitch datasource which will allow you to connect to the LightSwitch datasource, and fill reports with the default data. This will happen on the server though, as client-side data binding will 1) take too much time to develop, and 2) will limit the end-user functionality, such as exporting to some of the formats.

Well guys, remember all the complaints about the lack of power that LS grid has, problem solved. You get a complete and state of the art Telerik Grid with Subtotals, grouping, and many other features that Silverlight developers are enjoying.

Let's talk about "Rich Text" in your LS. This control gives you a full scale Rich text Word processing right into your app. Whether you want to use it for users to enter data or you want to present a read only presentation of text, image and etc.

Powerful charting and bullet graphs for data visualization. These are high end controls that will make your app look very professional.

Next, would be to incorporate their jazzy Coverflow. I have used this powerful control to present pictures, Marketing slides, Videos and so forth. It has a nice animation effects and supports full virtualization, so you can throw millions of records at it. One of my favorites.

For LoB, you have to have Input control. And Telerik gives you a full set of those controls.

As mentioned above, The reporting is also on it's way. Another great product is their Open Access which allows you to access all other databases right in your LS applications. There are more coming from Telerik. Stay tuned and develop rich LS apps.

Let me put it this way, LS version 1 + Telerik controls you'll be like in version 3 of Lightswitch TODAY!!!

Here is the download the Labs, grab the LS RTM and start Playing!

http://bit.ly/oiPe4C

..Ben

• Edited by Ben Hayat Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:38 PM

All replies

• Start paying indeed :D - I think you meant playing.  I'm glad to see some support from Telerik for LightSwitch.  Are there any plans to deliver these controls as extensions?
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Jon, thanks for pointing out my Typo, and it sure was a "Typo".

LS, gives you a great platform to start with and the folks at Telerik give you the full richness for a nominal fee. It will cost many times more and takes much longer to develop any of the controls on your own. I've used their controls for the past four years and they're the best in support and engineering.

..Ben
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Are there any plans to deliver these controls as extensions?
    Jon, my understanding has been for Telerik to ensure LS Extension platform is complete before they role out their products. Using Custom controls is the first phase and I'm sure engineering team is working with MSFT on extensions.
    As I hear more from the team on Extensions, I'll share with you guys!

Thanks!

..Ben
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:12 PM