Silverlight Application Unresponsive

Question

• When our Silverlight 5 application is loaded (using Internet Explorer) the main screen becomes entirely unresponsive (freeze). Nothing happens if a button is click or the mouse is placed over a hyperlink. The screen keep totally unresponsive.

If I start a new in private section, everything works fine. Sometimes restarting the PC works too.

We have some customers reporting this issue more frequently and I have experienced it myself too.

Any ideas?

.NET Software developer for industrial internet and automation system.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Igor Kondrasovas,

From your description, I think your program should be working before, before this phenomenon, what did you do?

You can also try the following suggestions.

1: Update Internet Explorer to the latest version.

2: Try fix silverlight:
    How to clean a corrupted Silverlight installation and then reinstall Silverlight
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2608523

3: Download the latest Silverlight plugin and Install it.
    https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

I hope it will help you.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 19, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Hello Yohann,

Thank you for the reply,

I executed the procedures and unfortunately this seems not to be working.

I could remote access one of the problematic PCs and test using an "in private" section. The problem is not shown.

But if you go back and use a normal IE section again, then it still does not work nor opening a private section again.

All the PCs I had chance to look are running IE version 11.0.96 (I believe is the latest) for Windows 7 and 8.

From our side, there was no software update in several months to justify a bug or something in the programming.

How can I narrow down and fix this issue?

Thank you,

Igor.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:46 PM

• Hi Igor Kondrasovas,

>>How can I narrow down and fix this issue?

Does the IE have some cache caused the problem?

Try the following method to see if it is useful.

Tools- safety - Delete Browsing History

Then, restart your IE browser

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:01 AM
  • Hello Yohann,

Thank you for the reply back.

Today we received another complaint from another customer with the same symptoms.

I executed all the procedures you mentioned but the problem is still there. The only different is that even in private mode nothing works either.

At the current moment all users have same IE version (11.0.96), running windows 7 in pt-BR culture.

As we did not make any software update or configuration change on our application on the last couple of months, I suspect this may be related to some external component, common to all these users.

It seems not to be an isolated case.

What should I do?

Thank you,

Igor.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:40 PM

• Hi Igor Kondrasovas,

>> I suspect this may be related to some external component, common to all these users.

From your further description, I also think that this situation is worth investigating.

First of all, you can test on your machine (no external component,common, etc.).

Then, You can ask your customer what software is installed before the software crashes(Or some security patches).

You can also use some tools to test your Silverlight Application.

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 26, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Hello Yohann,

I did not notice your reply before. Sorry for that.

Today we had another case with same configuration (Windows version, IE version, all important updates done, pt-BR culture, etc).

All the recommended procedures did not work.

I cannot reproduce the problem at my side, using a testing PC with same configuration.

None of our clients running Windows 10 reported this issue yet.

This particular PC from today made a couple of day ago the following IE update:

KB2987107

What do you mean by "test my Silverlight Application"?

Thank you,

Igor

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:15 PM

• Hi Igor Kondrasovas,

>>What do you mean by "test my Silverlight Application"?

I was wondering if there were some error messages that could be caught when the program freeze. Or you can try to use the F12 to open the Browser debugging tool to detect detailed error messages.

Also, If you think it is a bug, I suggest you can report your question at Connect:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Hello Yohann,

Can you please point me out where is the Silverlight related topics on Microsoft Connect directory?

Thank you,

Igor

Monday, June 5, 2017 12:11 PM

• Hi Igor Kondrasovas,

>>This particular PC from today made a couple of day ago the following IE update:

Does this PC have the unresponsive (freeze) issue? From your description, we found that your program was running OK before. Some users may have done something else to cause this phenomenon.

I suggest you can report your question in EdgeHTML issue tracker

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:50 AM
  • Hello Yohann,

Yes, all the cases I mention here have the freezing issue. And yes, all of them use my system for more than 4 years.

This thread was opened because this issue started to be frequent among users.

I also agree my users may have dome something else, but what would that be?

It is not just a coincidence that everything was OK for years and now I have this issue for the first time since 2012 (when we launch the application).

How does EdgeHTML helps when Silverlight is only supported in IE?

I still could not find the Microsoft Connect area about Silverlight you mentioned. Can you please guide me?

Thank you,

Igor.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:52 AM

• Hi Igor Kondrasovas,

>>I also agree my users may have dome something else, but what would that be?

I suggest you can be excluded from the following aspects.

1: What software is installed

2: What system security updates have been made

Then, you can simulate these operations on your computer to see if you can restore the problem.

>>How does EdgeHTML helps when Silverlight is only supported in IE?

This EdgeHTML helps will help you about some issue with Edge and IE. Because the IE problem may also lead to Silverlight problems. Such as some security updates.

>>I still could not find the Microsoft Connect area about Silverlight you mentioned. Can you please guide me?

You can visit the following link. You can see Visual Studio, .NET Framework, and Silverlight Bug Form at the bottom(First you need a Microsoft account).

Select Feedback Form:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

Best Regards,

Yohann Lu

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hello Yohann,

I am curently trying to reproduce the problem as you suggested from my side but no success so far. 

Please note the problem seems to be intermittent, what makes harder to reproduce even on the customer side.

I was also able to confirm this issue on computers with all windows updates installed. So far, all of them were running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 pt-BR culture.

The EdgeHTML issue tracker you mentioned seem not to be accepting IE related issues, as you can see in this thread.

I opened an issue on Microsoft Connect (private issue) and will keep you posted about the progress.

Meanwhile, any other suggestion?

Thank you,

Igor.

Monday, June 12, 2017 3:58 PM