none
Visual Studio 2015 Crashes when viewing code RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to view code in VS 2015 it crashes. This has recently started happening, I have uninstalled all recent patches which didn't resolve the issue. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled VS which also did not resolve the issue. I am using VS2015 Professional.

If I have code open and attempt to click on the tab the IDE crashes. If I open code and scroll the view it crashes. When I attempt to debug this is what I see

System.IO.FileNotFoundException was unhandled
    Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
    Additional information: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Workspaces, Version=1.3.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Friday, February 16, 2018 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

If you open other projects or create a new project, does this issue also persists?

Please have a try with the following to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Clear all folders and files under the folder: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ and restart the VS 2015 to check it again.
    2. Open cmd and navigate to VS 2015 installation folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode to run it as safe mode, then check if the installed extensions caused this issue.
    3. Click Start and scroll down to the Visual Studio 2015 folder and expand it, run the ‘Developer Command Prompt for VS 2015 as administrator and run the command: devenv /resetuserdata to test.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, February 19, 2018 3:50 PM
  • Thank you for the reply, I performed the steps above with same results. This happens no matter what solution I open when I attempt to view any c# code. I have also tried to create a new solution instead of opening an existing one with the same results.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 9:43 PM
  • Hi Eric_Lewis,

What is your VS2015 detailed version? Do you install the update 3 for your VS?

Some community members got this issue before using the VS2015 with update 2, so if yours was not the latest version, update it firstly, and then view the result again.

Another issue is that whether all projects have the same issue or just the specific project.

Please also check your nuget package, maybe it is related to the package version or others:

http://blog.devcrux.com/soludayo/2017/03/how-to-resolve-could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-codeanalysis-version-1-3-1-0-in-visual-studio-2015/

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:30 AM
  • The problem happens with all projects even a simple Console Application that I have created. I just uninstalled all VS 2015 pieces and the reinstalled VS2015 update 3 and I am still getting same issue.

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015
    Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 4.6.0008

Looking in the ActivityLog results in some errors:

<entry>
        <record>442</record>
        <time>2018/02/20 18:13:08.724</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>CreateInstance failed for package [Microsoft Data Transformation Services Designer]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name: &apos;Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration&apos;&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyString, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.&#x000D;&#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.&#x000D;&#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.&#x000D;&#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].&#x000D;&#x000A;</description>
        <guid>{96B36E93-F71C-4160-A4EA-26AE801D2F63}</guid>
        <hr>80004005 - E_FAIL</hr>
        <errorinfo></errorinfo>
      </entry>

<entry>
        <record>445</record>
        <time>2018/02/20 18:13:09.240</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>CreateInstance failed for package [ReportDesignerPackage]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name: &apos;Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91&apos;&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyString, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.&#x000D;&#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.&#x000D;&#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.&#x000D;&#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].&#x000D;&#x000A;</description>
        <guid>{11B8C903-8FFD-4DFC-87CE-F6A82D77AF6B}</guid>
        <hr>80004005 - E_FAIL</hr>
        <errorinfo></errorinfo>
      </entry>

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:19 PM
  • Hi Eric_Lewis,

>>Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could you find this dll file in your side? As far as I know, it was installed to the path:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

Do you install the SSDT for your VS2015?

https://docs.microsoft.com/id-id/sql/ssdt/download-sql-server-data-tools-ssdt

Please clean up the cache files:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31547947/packages-not-loading-after-installing-visual-studio-2015-rtm

Or re-add it through the command line:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/security/en-US/4eea5785-0a83-4389-89e3-209a5a4432c0/referencemanagerpackage-fails-to-install-vs-2017-community-edition?forum=vssetup

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:20 AM