none
Add item to lookup field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks.

DISCLAIMER!

I'm really struggling with some SharePoint basics. I suppose I need to find a good course, but I'm really trying to achieve something fairly basic. Apologies if I'm asking silly questions here - I come partly from a RDBMS background, so converting that thinking to "lists", etc, is not going so well for me!

REQUIREMENT:

I basically want an InfoPath form where users can select something from a list. If it does not exist in the list, I want them to enter their own data (and have that data added to future list lookups).

PROBLEM:

I have a range of lists.

I want users to enter data into a particular list, and save. I have some fields that do "lookups" to another list, so that I don't have duplicate or "incorrect" data (i.e. Different people may type "Autodesk", "autodesk", "AUTODESK", "Autdesk"). However... if the entry is not in the lookup list, I want to be able to add a new entry. Whenever I add a lookup field, it will not let me add any new data, only pick existing.

I have found various information talking about code and other things; I have extensive programming knowledge, but I have no idea where to put any code examples I might find. Whilst I have access to various tools/programs, essentially I am working with SP2010, and InfoPath for now. I am an "admin" of my SP site, but not of SP as a whole.

I feel that once I get a few pointers, I should be able to get some momentum.

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

• Well, the route that we are going here is not possible. If you use a lookup, we can't add new items through InfoPath. If you wanted to use a choice field, then that option is available. This is also possible through managed metadata, though you would not be able to use an InfoPath form with this.

Andy Wessendorf SharePoint Developer II | Rackspace andy.wessendorf@rackspace.com

• Marked as answer by MrBeatnik Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:17 PM

All replies

• Well, the route that we are going here is not possible. If you use a lookup, we can't add new items through InfoPath. If you wanted to use a choice field, then that option is available. This is also possible through managed metadata, though you would not be able to use an InfoPath form with this.

Andy Wessendorf SharePoint Developer II | Rackspace andy.wessendorf@rackspace.com

• Marked as answer by MrBeatnik Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 22, 2014 7:17 PM
  • OK, Thanks for clarifying that.

Ultimately, we want to have a "database" style solution, but we are required to use SP. I think I'll have a look at the Visual Studio for SP tutorials to try to provide the solutions we require through various coding methods. In the mean time, we will have to use flat lists I guess.

Thanks for replying.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:58 PM