Grouping in DFWP causes "Unable to display this Web Part..." in browser RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DFWP on a page and I add my data source which is a custom list. I insert selected the Title field as a Multiple Item view. Save my page and preview in IE, everything looks great.

I try to group by Keyword field. Looks great in Designer but when I preview in IE I get the error "Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator."

I have done this same thing with other lists without any problem. Why does it display okay in Designer but when previewed in the browser I get the error? Thanks.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:03 AM "Unable to display this Web Part..." in browser text added to Title instead of just "error"
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is indeed a little weird.

Generally, this error happens when restoring content in SharePoint.

Please check the ListID value following steps below:

1.       Go to site actions > site settings > modify all site settings > site administration > site libraries and lists

2.       Right-click your list and select copy shortcut and paste it into notepad N1. Then you can get the ListID from the URL like: http://sevenma:2009/sites/Intranet/_layouts/ListEdit.aspx?List={4C101CF3-FD7E-4BBB-8F28-B0770AFD6534}

3.       Then go to your page in the SharePoint designer in split mode. And select the DFWP in the Design mode part and copy the code in the Code mode part into notepad N2. Then search ListID in N2 and you can get the list id value from DefaultValue property.

4.        Then compare them. If they are different, replace all the ListID value with the current one in the code part in N2. Then copy it back your page. If they are same, please provide information about your keyword filed and other tests. Also, you can try to save it and open it in your site and then check the event logs and uls logs to get more information.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    • Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, May 28, 2010 3:26 AM
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:05 AM