none
What is the MAXIMUM length of an EntryID in Outlook and/or Exchange? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the maximum length of an item's EntryID property in Outlook and/or Exchange?  We store the EntryID in our SQL database so that we can update items once they have been synced with our application; it would be nice to know what the maximum length could be, but I have not found this in any documentation.

mdpowers

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:29 PM

Answers

• There is no specified maximum length. You can't assume anything.

Also, bear in mind that with an Exchange store if an item is moved or deleted the EntryID will change, so you may or may not be able to find the item later.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "mdpowers-slo" <=?utf-8?B?bWRwb3dlcnMtc2xv?=> wrote in message news:f707eb1b-c19e-433e-bc62-12ae786b01f4...
    What is the maximum length of an item's EntryID property in Outlook and/or Exchange?  We store the EntryID in our SQL database so that we can update items once they have been synced with our application; it would be nice to know what the maximum length could be, but I have not found this in any documentation.

mdpowers

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by mdpowers-slo Friday, December 14, 2012 7:51 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 6:21 PM

All replies

• There is no specified maximum length. You can't assume anything.

Also, bear in mind that with an Exchange store if an item is moved or deleted the EntryID will change, so you may or may not be able to find the item later.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "mdpowers-slo" <=?utf-8?B?bWRwb3dlcnMtc2xv?=> wrote in message news:f707eb1b-c19e-433e-bc62-12ae786b01f4...
    What is the maximum length of an item's EntryID property in Outlook and/or Exchange?  We store the EntryID in our SQL database so that we can update items once they have been synced with our application; it would be nice to know what the maximum length could be, but I have not found this in any documentation.

mdpowers

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by mdpowers-slo Friday, December 14, 2012 7:51 PM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 6:21 PM
  • are you aware that entryid of item changes when item is moved between folders in exchange-backed store? storing entryid in db is bound to give you headache. Consider marking items for sync with some user property or prevent moving of such items during your external operation

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:29 PM
  • OK, thanks, Ken.  

The stored EntryID is not our only method of finding items, but it is fast and a find by this method is definitive.  We have other things, including UserProperties (as suggested by Damian).

mdpowers

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:58 PM
  • I'm just picking up on this

I am aware that EntryID/StoreID can in theory be any length, but how long are they in practice

The Entry ID is presumably stored in the OST file and as you can find by it it must have some sort of index ?

SQL has an index limit of 900 chars, is it likely to be longer than this ?

I need to store a reference to the appointment I have created so that I can updated it later

I have looked into UserDefinedProperties and storing my own value but the whole problem of permissions is preventing the commercial application I am enhancing from creating the UD field on anything other than the current users calendar. Shared calendars that I can create appointments in I cannot add a UD field to

So it looks like my only option is to store the EntryID and StoreID so I can later call GetItemFromID to get the appointment so I can update the details in it

Current ones from our Exchange server seem to be a bit under 600 chars

So given that how large should the SQL columns be, do they really need to be varchar(max)

Thanks

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:31 AM