none
Error MSB8020 The build tools for v141 (Platform Toolset = 'v141') cannot be found- 2017 Community RC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello friends,

I am Trying to build a project, I can't build C++ projects that were created in Visual studio 2013 or 2015, I get this Error:

Error MSB8020 The build tools for v141 (Platform Toolset = 'v141') cannot be found. To build using the v141 build tools, please install v141 build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".  Project name C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.Cpp.Platform.targets 57 

After installing Visual Studio 2017 RC I got a message that the windows 10 SDK wasn't installed: [0cfc:001f][2016-12-09T04:19:02] Package 'Win10SDK_10.0.14393.33,version=10.0.14393.3300' failed to install. Command executed: "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Packages\Win10SDK_10.0.14393.33,version=10.0.14393.3300\packages\Win10SDK\10.0.14393.33\sdksetup.exe" /features OptionId.WindowsSoftwareDevelopmentKit OptionId.WindowsSoftwareLogoToolkit OptionId.NetFxSoftwareDevelopmentKit /quiet /norestart /OriginalSource "C:\VS2017\packages\Win10SDK\10.0.14393.33\sdksetup.exe", Return code: 15605, Details: There was a problem downloading your product.

I was installing VS from an ISO image that i've downloaded while connected with a cable to the router (tried to eliminate WIFI issues). Is the Win 10 SDK related to the C++ tools? how can I get it to build?

I have uploaded the logs of my Visual Studio installation, here they are: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArdaoXN9TFnsao8uvnWxXLEuyIg

I have to solve this issue ASAP, I was installing windows 7 and 10 and visual studio 2015 and 2017 and trying repairs for 10 days!!! 

Thank you,

Roy.

• Edited by Roy.777 Saturday, December 10, 2016 8:19 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2016 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Roy,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

You have upgrade the Win 7 to Win 10, and installed both VS 2015 and 2017,right?

Make sure you have installed the Desktop development with C++.

>>Is the Win 10 SDK related to the C++ tools?

The Windows 10 SDK (ver. 10.0.14393.0) provides the latest headers, libraries, metadata and tools for building Windows 10 apps. and it's not included in VS ISO image.

If necessary, I suggest you use /layout command as below:

1.Run the following command at a command prompt: <executable name> /layout.
    This command downloads all the packages for the installation. see as below:

2.After you run the command, you should be prompted for the download location. Enter the location, and then choose Download.

3.When the package download is successful, you should see a Visual Studio screen that says Setup Successful as below:

4. In the file location that you specified, find the executable file and the package folder. This is everything you need to copy to a shared location or install media.

You can now run the installation from the file location or the install media.

Please move the /layout Win 10 sdk installer and VS ISO image to a different, empty directory, install them again.

If the error still persists after doing the above, please feel free to let me know, I will help you to analyze more.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Thank you Lana,

Actually I meant that I've installed windows 7 and Visual studio 2015 and visual studio just crashed on open each and every time. 

And then I've *clean* installed windows 10 and installed Visual Studio 2015, same thing. 

Then tried to install 2017 RC (Again on a clean installation of windows 10) and it works for managed code but not for C++, I did have C++ checked in the installer. I tried a few times and what not.

This is just not right. I've also downloaded the ISO files for the installers without using WIFI.

Why does something so simple is so complicated and doesn't work?

I have tried to reinstall the Windows 10 SDK, the first time it said I have it installed and there's nothing to be done. then you said I should move it to another folder and try again so I have and then that second time it said that it was "unable to validate the integrity of the downloaded content" (this time through WIFI, but it should've worked anyway). 
    Here is the log file for the last time when it failed: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArdaoXN9TFnsa5SuvTIIge86bYI

Installing Visual Studio from another folder doesn't work with the /layout flag, the installer says "Give us a few minutes" and then when it's done it closes and nothing happens.

I did the same without the flag and it worked to show up the installer to install Visual Studio again. it said that Visual Studio is already installed but there is an update, I've clicked it to update. and it said "setup operation failed", then saying "Please update Visual Studio Installer before proceeding". so I clicked "update" , and again the window closed and nothing happened. I tried that twice.

This is just crazy that nothing works no matter what I try.

Please advice me as to how to troubleshoot further,

Thank you,

Roy.

• Edited by Roy.777 Monday, December 12, 2016 8:27 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2016 8:24 PM
  • Hi Roy,

I understand that it's frustrated that so many steps you have tried but nothing works.

Would you mind using  http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.zip from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to  https://onedrive.live.com/ and share the link here. I will help you find out the root cause from the VSlogs.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Thanks for the support Lana :)

I've tried to repair visual studio again so I will have "fresh" logs, I got 2 messages at the end saying that I have newer versions of the C++ redistributables already installed, an image of the message is in this link:
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArdaoXN9TFnsbxy4B-V7z8_WqOY

Here are the last logs:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArdaoXN9TFnsbla8vYHyo6BykoQ

Thank you :)

Roy.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:34 AM
  • Hi Roy,

I just check your VSLogs but find there is no error information in it.

Just according to the screenshot, please don't worry,  this won't affect your VS running.

Or you could go to Control Panel to find and uninstall the newest VC++ Redistributable package.

Repair your VS from Control Panel and then re-install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:16 AM
  • Hi Roy,

Is there any update about this issue?

Have you solved this successfully?

If the issue still persists, please feel free to let us know, we are willing to help you solve this.

If you think my reply is helpful, please mark my reply as the answer, it will benefit to other community members who have the same issue.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 7:03 AM
  • I have just installed VS2017 and am rebuilding my C++ desktop applications.  The build works from the IDE but when I build from the command line I get that pesky tools for v141 cqnnot be found messsage.  What does the build need to find these tools; they are there for the IDE.

JSilverston nhswinc.com

Monday, September 18, 2017 11:45 PM
  • I too am experiencing this issue and hoping updating and installing all the optional modules for C++ dev tools will help .  
    • Edited by EvoxVR Monday, September 25, 2017 5:28 PM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 5:27 PM
  • It appeared to me, that the reason for the problem was a not needed VCTargetsPath system variable. After removing it, VS 2017 now sees V141 toolset.
    I had VS 2017 Community first, maybe that made the problem.
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:43 AM
  • While building a integrated app solution file of my project ,Getting ErrorMSB8020 :The build tools for v142 (Platform Toolset = 'v142') cannot be found. To build using the v142 build tools, please install v142 build tools.  Alternatively, you may upgrade to the current Visual Studio tools by selecting the Project menu or right-click the solution, and then selecting "Retarget solution".

To fix this error i need to select Retarget solution Option .However there is no option available after right clicking the solution file in Microsoft Visual Professional Studio 2015. I checked all possible solutions(like installing SDK) to get this option. But there is no success.Do you have any idea how to fix this issue in Visual Studio to get this option.

Even the above solution provided by you is not working .Please help me out as i am unable to get the fix from anywhere?

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:39 AM