none
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(638,5): error MSB6006: "link.exe" exited with code -1073740940. RRS feed

• Question

• I have project which has its dependents projects converted from VS2013 projects to VS2015 projects , But after this conversion . Above error is comming , Can some one point me to error code what that means. I have searched it also , But this error code was not found else where,something in those lines were like Turning Off the Whole Program Optmization didnt worked here.

• Edited by atsingh Friday, February 10, 2017 10:12 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi atsingh,

Based on your error message and description, it seems that visual studio 2015 use a wrong version of link.exe, which cause the issue. please check if your project has a link.exe. if so, please move the file.

For more information, please refer to:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/667094/i-get-error-msb6006-when-linkin-an-exe-under-vs2010-works-fine-under-vs2008

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:15 AM
  • I have checked the whole codebase there is no link.exe lying in any of the solution folder When i use IncrediBuild for solution building , Microsoft Incremental Linker crashes and on the same project and link.exe exited with code 255. Please have a look at the comment here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42152542/c-program-files-x86-msbuild-microsoft-cpp-v4-0-v140-microsoft-cppcommon-targe?noredirect=1#comment71474593_42152542 There is heap corruption by link.exe. I am trying out other Linker options. I can send you the required logs, please let me know what all can i share.

And this is happening on 2 machines one is my primary machine and one is automated build system setup with Jenkins. And no problem on 3rd Machihne. Currently i am cheking on 4th machine will post the status once it completes.

• Edited by atsingh Friday, February 10, 2017 1:39 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi atsingh,

Based on your description, it works on the 3rd machine, I would suggest that you could compare the settings with your machine and 3rd machine and check if it is different.

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:39 AM