none
Copy paste from Word / Browser losing it's format in Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We have a client running a website on SharePoint 2010. They are creating their posts in Word, or maybe copy something from a website and paste it in the column body and this would keep it's format. But now, the format it's lost. As a workaround I've asked them to use an online converter to html and paste that over and that would work.

The column settings seems to be right: "Ehanced rich text (Rich text with pictures, tables, and hyperlinks) is enabled. And suggestions would highly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lucian

Thursday, June 6, 2019 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi, Lucian,

You can send the log files to the tnmff@microsoft.com with the thread URL so we can locate the file.

Besides, according to the build number, the Office you are using is updated with the patch released around one month ago. If you have a test environment, please update your SharePoint to latest version to see if the issue remains.   

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Lucian Negru Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thanks again for your help.

There 4 updates due which I've installed them and restarted the server last night. It started to work but when I've checked with the user, it didn't for him. I've tested then myself on a different machine but didn't work. That was weird. It didn't make any sense, so I thought that should be something really stupid that I must've missed. And it was! :) Compatibility settings. Once I've checked the boxes and added the link on the list, it worked. So I've created a GPO to make sure that the link is always there.

But thanks again!

Regards,

Lucian

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi, Lucian,

According to your description, I assume all the users of the site cannot paste word content with format to a multiline text column supporting ERT. I want to make some confirmations with your issue

1. Do they update SharePoint and Word to latest version?
    2. Does the issue remain if they create a new list with a new multiline text column in other sites? Could you test in your end to see if you can paste the content with format?
    3. What version of Office do your client use in their environment? It works fine in my end so I will try to reproduce the issue.  Please have a check on the SharePoint and office according to the article: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/about-office-what-version-of-office-am-i-using-932788b8-a3ce-44bf-bb09-e334518b8b19

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sunmeda/2012/06/06/get-sharepoint-farm-build-version-quickly/

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, June 7, 2019 3:20 AM
  • Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for picking this up!

1. They use SharePoint Foundation 2010 14.0.7015.1000 version. Not sure what's the latest build but there was no update to SharePoint since 2018. Roughly a year ago. This started happening a month ago. 
    As for Word they use 2016 Version 1808

2. Have created a new List / Notice Board / and the issue persists. When copying from the browser, (tested IE/Chrome), Word. The only HTML tag inserted is just a div class, at the beginning and at the end. Lists, links, paragraphs are all skipped.

3. The office Version is Office Profession Plus 2016

Please let me know if you may need anything else.

Regards,

Lucian

Friday, June 7, 2019 9:29 AM
  • Hi, Lucian,

Please take a screenshot of the Office product information like this.

Then you can check the ULS log for error message. You can use ULS viewer to help.  Download link here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44020

Here are some tutorials: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fesiro/2013/11/11/sharepoint-logging-and-troubleshooting-using-ulsviewer/

http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2015/08/how-to-use-uls-viewer-in-sharepoint-to-analyse-errors.html

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Monday, June 10, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

I've got the logs with ULS but couldn't identify the reason why this functions stopped working.

How can I send you the logs to have a look if you don't mind please?

Thanks,

Lucian

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi, Lucian,

You can send the log files to the tnmff@microsoft.com with the thread URL so we can locate the file.

Besides, according to the build number, the Office you are using is updated with the patch released around one month ago. If you have a test environment, please update your SharePoint to latest version to see if the issue remains.   

Best Regards

Jerry Xu

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:54 AM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thanks again for your help.

There 4 updates due which I've installed them and restarted the server last night. It started to work but when I've checked with the user, it didn't for him. I've tested then myself on a different machine but didn't work. That was weird. It didn't make any sense, so I thought that should be something really stupid that I must've missed. And it was! :) Compatibility settings. Once I've checked the boxes and added the link on the list, it worked. So I've created a GPO to make sure that the link is always there.

But thanks again!

Regards,

Lucian

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:43 AM
  • Hi, Lucian,

I am glad to see you got it done by yourself. Congratulations!

Please mark your reply as answer so other community members who have the same issue will find a solution easily.

Best Regards

Jerry

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:51 AM