How can I display the lookup columns (from another list) on THIS list's custom edit form? RRS feed

• Question

• So my silly workaround is to make native columns in THIS list that duplicate the lookup from another list, then I workflow-populate the native columns w/ the duplicate data.

Otherwise I can't see the lookup info when custom edit form on THIS list. 

I just want read-only access to the lookup columns while editting on this list.

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hi jazaddict,

You can add the second list by displaying it in a XSLT list view or data view web part in the custom edit form. Following are some main steps.

1. Open and edit the custom edit form page from SharePoint Designer.
    2. Click Insert > Data View > Select the second list and insert it as XSLT list view web part.
    3. Click Add/Remove columns to add or remove the columns display on the web part.

And here is a blog about how to implement Parent Child relationship lists, hope it could help you.
    http://geekswithblogs.net/SoYouKnow/archive/2010/12/16/creating-a-sharepoint-parentchild-list-relationshipndash-sharepoint-2010-edition.aspx

Let me know if there is any further question.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Emir Liu Monday, March 25, 2013 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by jazaddict Monday, March 25, 2013 1:18 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi jazaddict,

You can add the second list by displaying it in a XSLT list view or data view web part in the custom edit form. Following are some main steps.

1. Open and edit the custom edit form page from SharePoint Designer.
    2. Click Insert > Data View > Select the second list and insert it as XSLT list view web part.
    3. Click Add/Remove columns to add or remove the columns display on the web part.

And here is a blog about how to implement Parent Child relationship lists, hope it could help you.
    http://geekswithblogs.net/SoYouKnow/archive/2010/12/16/creating-a-sharepoint-parentchild-list-relationshipndash-sharepoint-2010-edition.aspx

Let me know if there is any further question.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Emir Liu Monday, March 25, 2013 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by jazaddict Monday, March 25, 2013 1:18 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Yay...thank you Emir.
    • Marked as answer by jazaddict Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jazaddict Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:07 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 1:18 PM
  • OK...not workin for me :-p

On the video by the Hillbilly that Emir linked, HIS "related item" button drop down is populated with the look-up list from his lookup column.   I have a lookup colum....I got BUPKISS in my "related item" lookup....zip, nadda, nuttin.  The lookup col is workin cuz I can see the OTHERlist data in the colums and on the default display form (more on that later).

When I put a "dataview" in, and I edit the record I wanna edit, then I get the  entire OTHERlist in my edit form. (I'd like it filtered to JUST the related item) 

So I put a "display item form " of the OTHERlist on my custom edit form, and I get ONE record from the OTHERlist (yay!), but its not "related" to the listitem I'm editting (boo!).  THIS ONE seems the closest to what I want if I could JUST get the lookupcolumn's ID passed to the get the OTHERlist item displayed to correspond w/ this lists's item being editted.

I tried to use the parameter method from the video, but alas I can't change my lookup column to a text box.

So....I'm really still stuck in my silly workaround....which works I guess.....

To review....the user will need to "see" the stuff from the OTHERlist (to which I have a lookup column) when editting an iitem from this list via a custom editform....

The reason I know this is possible is cuz the lookup itemdata from the OTHERlist is visible along side the items from this list in the default display form .... what's agonizing is the OTHERlist data is ONLY available in teh default display form (that I can't edit :-/ )...when I make a custom display the lookup data is gone....really frustrating.

• Edited by jazaddict Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:43 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:40 PM