none
Is SharePoint 2010 SP1 Compatible with SQL 2012 standard Version? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to upgrade SQL server from 2008 to SQL 2012 for my SharePoint 2010 Application.

Currently I have SharePoint 2010 SP1 version installed in a server and SQL 2008 R2 enterprise version in another server/Database server
    I want to know if SharePoint 2010 SP1 is fully compatible with SQL 2012 Standard Version? I need to upgrade SQL server from 2008 R2 to 2012.

Please someone confirm this. It will be a great help.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:26 PM

All replies

• According to the doc, yes.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2460045/description-of-sharepoint-server-2010-sp1

Overview of SharePoint Server 2010 SP1 improvements

Specifically, these are the key areas of improvement in SP1:
    • Improved support for Internet Explorer 9.
    • Recycle bin: Lets you restore a site collection or a web that was deleted.
    • Remote Backup Systems (RBS) and shallow copy can decrease downtime and increase efficiency by moving pointers to databases instead of moving databases.
    • You can see which folders are taking up valuable space with the improved Storage Management feature in site settings.
    • Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2012.
    • A more robust Search Host Distribution service that improves error recovery and performance during the search crawl.
    • Adds backup and restore functionality to recover deleted site collections and webs.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Friday, June 14, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Hi Mourya Neelam,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, June 14, 2019 1:52 AM
  • Hi Mourya,

Only SharePoint 2010 SP1 supported for MS SQL Server 2012 and even if the installation success without SP1 the configuration will fail.

So the steps to install SharePoint 2010 Server on Windows Server 2012 with MS SQL Server 2012 will be as the following:

Install MS SQL 2012 with SharePoint add-in
    Configure some Windows 2012 Roles and Features manually
    Return specific Environment.Exit code
    Run SharePoint 2010 prerequiest  and install them from SharePoint 2010 Server SP1 (Only SharePoint 2010 SP1 support MS SQL Server2012)
    Install SharePoint 2010 Server SP1
    Set the default app pool to v 2.0 instead of 4.0 because this what SharePoint 2010 needs
    Configure SharePoint 2010
    provision the installation and configuration
    Note: you may want to setup SharePoint 2010 with SQL Server 2012 on Windows Server 2008 R2, it's OK, you can follow the same steps.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, June 14, 2019 4:04 AM
  • Hi Mourya Neelam,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 6:46 AM
  • Hi Mourya Neelam.

Since you're using SharePoint 2010 SP1 you should use SQL Server 2012 SP2: anyway, the answer is yes.
    I would recommend using the Enterprise edition if you need to use all the SQL Server features and functionalities, of course.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 8:54 AM