none
VS 2019 only Build in Admin Mode.Not in regular Mode. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have installed VS 2019 in my Windows 10 laptop. I have created a simple console app and build the application. The build failed with 0 errors. If i run VS 2019 as Thyotic Admin, Its build the app and creating the bin folder. It seems kind of permission issue. I have tried VS 2017 also but the same result. Any idea to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Subbiah K

Friday, October 4, 2019 4:22 PM

All replies

• I do not know what Thyotic Admin is so I cannot help you.

You seem to say it works so I do not understand the problem.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Hi Subbiah,

Sorry for delay in reply.

According to your description, not very sure how to use the “Thyotic Admin” like you mentioned above.

Do you use any third-party plugins? You could follow the steps below to start Visual Studio 2019 in Safe Mode to exclude the affection from third-party plugin, and then build in regular mode and check if this issue could be solved.

• Open “Developer Command Prompt for VS 2019”.
    • Type: devenv /SafeMode in command -> Enter.
    • Visual Studio 2019 will only start in safe mode without loading any third-party plugin.

If possible, could you please share us with the steps and a simple sample that you run with VS 2019, so that I will test in my side and fix this issue.  

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your reply.

“Thyotic Admin” is just Run As Administrator.

I have tried with safe mode, Its not working. Only I can build as Administrator. 

Monday, October 7, 2019 2:52 PM
  • Hi Subbiah,

Thank you for the feedback.

Which language do you use?

>> We recommend you could try to create a new console project and just build after finishing creating to check whether this issue is caused by codes or Visual Studio IDE.

If this issue still persists after you create a new console project, then it might be more related to VS, you could open Visual Studio Installer -> find Visual Studio 2019 -> More -> Repair to fix VS.

>> In addition, I have found an official document : User Permissions and Visual Studio. It explains the details about differences between using “Run as Administrator” and run as regular mode, and lists this two conditions when ‘Building’ (need administrator permission):

#1. Using post-build events that register a component.

#2. Including a registration step when you build C++ projects.

Maybe you could check if it is caused by some registration. (If you use some registration and C++)

>> If possible you could share us with the output log to better diagnostic. (Tools/Options/Projects and Solutions/Build and Run/change MSBuild project build output verbosity and log file verbosity from minimal to Diagnostic)

Hope all above could help you. Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 9:19 AM
  • The obvious thing to do would be to create a directory, make sure that you set the permissions to allow regular users full access for both the current directory and sub directories, inherit these permissions and then create a Visual Studio project in it.

I would guess that you are running into either a permission issue or a quota issue.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 10:47 AM
  • Hi Subbiah Kalidasan,

Sorry for bothering you.

Could previous suggestions help you? Like Darran suggests, I suggest you could create your project in D disk or access the directory could be accessed by Authenticated users.

Any feedback will be expected.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Tried all the above steps. Nothing works. Here is the Ouptput.

1>Project 'CADotNetTest' is not up to date. Missing output file 'C:\Users\atest092\source\repos\CADotNetTest\bin\Debug\CADotNetTest.exe'.
    1>------ Build started: Project: CADotNetTest, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:38 PM
  • Hi Subbiah Kalidasan,

Thank you for feedback.

We suggest you could follow these suggestions to try to troubleshoot it:

• Close Visual studio, delete .vs folder, then open VS and rebuild your project
    • change the output to other path

Hope it could help you.

Best Regards,

Dylan

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Hi Subbiah,

Perhaps you can create an initial Console Hello world project and then build to check whether it is the problem about VS or your project itself. I hope that access to some permission files is not involved in your project.

>>Please share the detailed build log with us by this option-->Tools-->Options-->Projects and Solutions-->Build and Run-->set MSBuild project build output verbosity to Detailed 

With this, we can troubleshoot your issue more efficiently.

Best Regards,

Perry

Thursday, October 10, 2019 4:58 AM
  • Hi Subbiah,

Sorry to disturb you, did you have any update?

Have you tried Dylan and Perry’s suggestions above?

If this issue still persists, feel free to contact us and we will try our best to help you.

As Perry said above, if possible, could you please share us with more detailed output information and it will be much helpful for us to check.

Any feedback would be great expected.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

No solution yet. I have set Detailed/Diagnostic under Build and Run but same Result. Is it possible to set up a meeting, I can share my screen if you want.

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ConsoleAppSampledotnet, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Issue got resolved, Seems i had some permission issue. Added to Dev group and gpupdate fix the issue.
    Friday, October 18, 2019 6:44 PM
  • Hi Subbiah,

Thank you for the feedback.

We are so glad to hear that your issue has been solved. 

Thank you so much for sharing us with your solution and if possible, could you please mark your reply as answer so that it will be very helpful for other members who has similar issue to refer to.

Have a nice day :)

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:30 AM