none
Archiving in sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• I need to archive the items from sharepoint and store in archives.

is it possible to archive the items from view? 

if we perform archive, threshold limit will get reduce?

What are the types of ways we can perform archiving in sharepoint?

Vinoth

Friday, December 8, 2017 2:00 PM

All replies

• What you can do is identify on what conditions items needs to be archived. Like closed state or any field which meets requirement for archiving. once, you figured that out then create a secondary list (Archive list) based on first list template. Finally create a workflow to do the clean up. Here is a good walk-through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkSEMW89Jw 

Yes, threshold limit monitors number of items exist on any list which are nearing that limit. So, archiving and moving those items to new list will help for potential issue with the database server. 

Hope this helps. 

Friday, December 8, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible to create workflow using sharepoint view? 

Vinoth

Monday, December 11, 2017 1:08 PM
  • Try to find which field or a combination of fields from that specific view to kick start the workflow. 
    Monday, December 11, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

i have created work flow with require condition, published in sharepoint and it is working as expected.

Issue facing:

- I have published the flow in Shrepoint, but it is working for the items only after the flow published. 

is there any other way to move the old items using the same flow? i.e items which created before the implementation of flow

Vinoth

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Allow workflow to start manually. Then run workflow for those items you mentioned. 
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:35 PM
  • Is it possible to archive the items from view? 

• Yes.  One way is to use the Site Content and Structure tool (Site Manager)
    • See SharePoint 2013: a review of all methods and their steps for moving document libraries, and then scroll down to the section titled, Bulk Copying/Moving using the Site Content and Structure tool (Site Manager). The steps are the same whether for libraries or lists.
    • Whatever List View that you create while at the list itself will be available to you when you navigate to the list while in the Site Content and Structure tool.

If we perform archive, threshold limit will get reduce?

• Yes.  If you "Move" the item over, this effectively reduces the total size of the list and thus will help you get the list down below threshold.

What are the types of ways we can perform archiving in sharepoint?

• The reference I cite above applies both to lists or libraries (which are another form of list).
    • It reviews all the different ways for moving libraries (or lists), their relative benefits and so on.
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

Does the information provided by Stephan help you?

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

You can also share your own solution here and mark it as answer, and we can learn from each other.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Hi, it's possible to archive Sharepoint list items and items attachments using CSOM.

Alternatively check the www.listman.io. It's the Windows Console application created for that specific purpose. It could be run as CLI or Windows Service by schedule and archive/export Sharepoint list items into CSV files with attachments based on search criteria without any 5000 threshold limitations.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:10 AM