none
VB6 COM application, TLB not registered RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have VB6 COM application, installed by Installshield. COM dll is registered, but when first time to run the application, it has to run as administrator, otherwise, the application can not be launched as the TLB is not registered. "Run as administrator" will register those related TLB and after that administrator is not required. How to solve this so that we do not need to run as administrator first time?

Thanks.

Henry 

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:15 PM

All replies

• Have the installer handle the COM registration, including the type library.
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:17 PM
  • Can msiexec.exe or regsvr32.exe do this job? register dll and its tlb same time?
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 7:29 PM
  • Can msiexec.exe or regsvr32.exe do this job? register dll and its tlb same time?

msiexec.exe runs the windows installer for an msi file.  The author of the msi determines the actions that windows installer will take, including COM registration

regsvr32.exe is used to invoke the DllRegisterServer function that is exported from a COM dll.  The author of DllRegisterServer determines the actions that the function performs.

Initially, you said "I have VB6 COM application, installed by Installshield."  So I would expect that you would use InstallShield to create an installer that handles the type library registration.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:43 PM
  • Hi Henry,

Do you have any updates?

Since this issue is about the Installshield development and our forum is to discuss the VS installation, if this issue persists, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://community.flexera.com/t5/Flexera-Software-Community/ct-p/Flexera_Software_Community for better support, thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:04 AM