none
Business Connectivity Services vs. ADO.NET

Question

• Why should I prefer Business Connectivity Services (BCS) over plain ADO.NET, if all I want are simple CRUD operations on an external database (e.g. remote Oracle Database), which are made from a custom webpart/control.

I found a lot of articles about BCS, but none has convinced me using BCS instead of ADO.NET for this task.

It looks like BCS is a good choice if I don't write custom code (farm solution) and want to use the OOTB Webparts to display remote content, right?

Any thougts on this?
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:52 PM

Answers

• BCS provides a secure and scalable model to connect to external systems. Your custom code can use the connections defined in BCS to perform your operations. There are also a large number of OOTB Web Parts for displaying, filtering, and working with the BCS data.

I suppose if you have a single control with no plans on expanding, no plans on using OOTB web parts, and no need to standardize the approach for external connections, you could get away with using ADO.Net directly.

Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Use BCS when you want to avoid custom code.  BCS enables external lists, etc.  If you are connecting to an external data source in a custom application (whether this is a web part, or not), use ADO.NET.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:09 PM

All replies

• BCS provides a secure and scalable model to connect to external systems. Your custom code can use the connections defined in BCS to perform your operations. There are also a large number of OOTB Web Parts for displaying, filtering, and working with the BCS data.

I suppose if you have a single control with no plans on expanding, no plans on using OOTB web parts, and no need to standardize the approach for external connections, you could get away with using ADO.Net directly.

Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Use BCS when you want to avoid custom code.  BCS enables external lists, etc.  If you are connecting to an external data source in a custom application (whether this is a web part, or not), use ADO.NET.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:09 PM