Error when trying to sync tasks to Outlook from SharePoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Just finished an installation of SharePoint 2013 on premise.  I'm trying to sync the tasks from the My Tasks lists in My Site to Outlook but when I try to connect I get the following error:

We weren't able to start syncing your tasks because one or more pre-requisites for connecting to Exchange server could not be found. Please contact your administrator to resolve this issue.

I've tried connecting a calendar list to Outlook and that works but any task list I try to sync to Outlook gives me the error above.

We're running Exchange 2010... does this feature require Exchange 2013?

Thanks,

Kevin

Edit:  We're running Office 2010 as well.
    • Edited by Kevin Lanners Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:55 PM Added Detail
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

According to TechNet Outlook 2013 is REQUIRED in order to use the Task synch and consolidation. I tried also turning off the Work Service to see if it will revert to 2010 functionality so that I can synch individual project tasks lists to Outlook and it did not help. 

This appears specific to tasks only. I can sync Custom Lists, Calendars, and Documents.

Here's the rub: I could live with this if there was a way to make tasks behave like SharePoint 2010 functionality. If not, then Microsoft should provide a way to globally disable the task Sync to Outlook functionality across my entire farm. In other words, the Ribbon will continue to give users the impression that they can sync TASKS to Outlook, but it is NOT going to work.  Since my client will not be upgrading to Outlook 2010 any time soon I now have a training, expectations, and communications issue to address.

Here's the tech Net article. TechNet link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj554516.aspx

If there's a Microsoft Member reading this, can you suggest a solution? Essentially you've added a button to all my ribbons that will (a) appear to work, but not actually work (b) present a non-friendly error message (c) and offer less functionality than what those users had in SP 2010.

Can you fix this in a Service Pack (ideal) or gray out the button for Tasks and Exchange 2010?

-Chuck

Forte Design

• Marked as answer by Kevin Lanners Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:24 PM
    • Edited by Chuck LaForte Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

According to TechNet Outlook 2013 is REQUIRED in order to use the Task synch and consolidation. I tried also turning off the Work Service to see if it will revert to 2010 functionality so that I can synch individual project tasks lists to Outlook and it did not help. 

This appears specific to tasks only. I can sync Custom Lists, Calendars, and Documents.

Here's the rub: I could live with this if there was a way to make tasks behave like SharePoint 2010 functionality. If not, then Microsoft should provide a way to globally disable the task Sync to Outlook functionality across my entire farm. In other words, the Ribbon will continue to give users the impression that they can sync TASKS to Outlook, but it is NOT going to work.  Since my client will not be upgrading to Outlook 2010 any time soon I now have a training, expectations, and communications issue to address.

Here's the tech Net article. TechNet link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj554516.aspx

If there's a Microsoft Member reading this, can you suggest a solution? Essentially you've added a button to all my ribbons that will (a) appear to work, but not actually work (b) present a non-friendly error message (c) and offer less functionality than what those users had in SP 2010.

Can you fix this in a Service Pack (ideal) or gray out the button for Tasks and Exchange 2010?

-Chuck

Forte Design

• Marked as answer by Kevin Lanners Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:24 PM
    • Edited by Chuck LaForte Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Thanks Chuck.  I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer.

Kevin

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:24 PM
  • I have Outlook 2013 (client) and I cannot get task sync working either.....

Looking at the article you supplied again ( Configure Exchange task synchronization in SharePoint Server 2013 ) it appears an additional requirement is Exchange Server 2013....

-bill

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:19 PM
  • And I will chime in with my .02 that providing navigation to non existant functionality is soooo SharePoint 2003.  The whole world does not have Enterprise Agreements, and those which do should be able to stage their upgrades according to their business needs, not Microsoft's.

David McKenzie

• Proposed as answer by arj9531 Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Hi Bill,

How to go about achieving the same thing if I have on premise SharePoint 2013 and Exchange online (Office 365).

Thanks,

Rajan

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:11 PM
  • Perhaps this is the answer:

Found it in this document -> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38799

How to disable SharePoint Server and Exchange Server integration

Integration between SharePoint Server and Exchange Server can only be disabled on-premises. To disable it, you turn off the Farm Level Exchange Task Sync feature by going to Central Administration -> Manage farm features. This action deletes the timer job and disables the UI integration, bringing back the legacy sync behavior to Outlook.

Dirk

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:36 PM
  • This is interesting - we're on SP2013 and Exchange 2010 so I'm considering reverting back to the legacy sync. What other features does this eliminate though - Lync presence, etc?

Thanks,

Josh

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:58 PM
  • OK - so I found that disabling it works to get my tasks in Outlook, but also disables the Work Management Service which drives one of my favorite SP2013 features: the aggregated Task list.

Ugh. That's a real bummer!

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:39 PM
  • Sorry Rajan I haven't used 365 online, I am all on-prem.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:00 AM
  • I had the same problem but We are using Exchange 2013 and Office 2013 ,,, and after Disabling Feature "Farm Level Exchange Tasks Sync" from the Central Administration, It worked fine ! 
    Monday, February 3, 2014 8:10 AM
  • We have exactly the same issue ith a SP 2013 farm connected to Exchange 2013 and the client is running Outlook 2013.

The only doubt I have at the moment is that there is a 2007 exchange box still sitting on the exchange farm. (to be removed this week)  

AmrHamam - Are you saying disable and then re-enable worked?

Adrian

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:15 AM
  • On a SharePoint server 2013 with Microsoft Exchange 2013, you just need to disable Farm Level Exchange Tasks Sync from the Central Administration - Manage Farm features.

Mannase Nyathi

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:25 AM
  • this also works well with outlook 2016 with sp2013 enterprise. just disable the feature, and works like 2010 did. thanks!

~george

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:32 PM