Filtering Lookup Column in Dataview RRS feed

• Question

• I have a list where one of the columns (service type) is a lookup that allows multiple values.  I created a new page using Designer and inserted a dataview of this list.  In the dataview properties, I selected the option to 'Enable sorting and filtering on column headings'.  When I view this dataview through my website, I can filter all of the other columns except for my service type column.  This is the only column that is a lookup.  When I try to filter this column, the drop down says "This column type cannot be filtered".  When I view this list in the normal list webpart, I can filter it.  It just doesn't work in the dataview.

Is there any (non code/minimal code) way to fix this.  I am not a developer and my experience with customization is limited to these simple things in Designer.  Any help you can give is appreciated.

Friday, June 4, 2010 4:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• The Data View Web Part giveth and it taketh away.  While you have far more power with the DVWP, you also give up some things like having exactly the same sorting and filtering capabilities in column headers.  Yuo can rebuild some of this by writing your own XSL, but you won't get exactly the same functionality otherwise.

What caused you to decide to switch to the DVWP in the first place? I'm assuming you are gaining more than you are giving up?

M.

Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc - jQuery Library for SharePoint Web Services (SPServices) - USPJ Academy
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 3:49 AM
  • I'm also having issues with ''Enable sorting and filtering on column headings'. However, in my case none of my columns work. The sort does not do anything and the filter displays "This column type cannot be filtered". My columns are standard (no lookup). I have spent hours reading blogs, goolging, reading books but have not found a solution or explanation. By the way, Marc's blog is great. I read the entire 'Unlocking the Mysteries of DVWP..'

Did you ever find a solution?

MM

Friday, July 9, 2010 4:17 AM
  • I have also the same issue as mentioned by milissa. The reason behind choosing DVWP is to show Aging column which can't be done without DVWP. Please help me with this. I have gone through you blog at http://sympmarc.com/2008/12/03/filtering-on-a-value-in-a-multi-select-lookup-column/ but unable to figure out the way to set the filter.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:14 PM